Afaw or century

3 minutes ago, ollieollie said:

I’m reel up with multis, down just feels so unnatural to me 

I’m going to try both ways , tried reel down but I was still using my right hand on the reel and you’re right it feels a bit awkward . The vids I’ve seen I noticed the reel down casters we’re using their left hand on the reel and right hand up the rod which looks easier . None of the vids showing you how to cast have actually mentioned doing it though 

• Like 1

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m in the process of upping my game where casting is concerned, I’ve always just been happy to whack it out but I want to fine tune things!!    We had a good day on the boat yesterday, 14 spec

There's another casting one by saa with will and eddie; worth a watch aswell mate.    I'm exactly the same; if I think I should have just thumped it 

Come to try the new rod at low . I’ve coupled it with a Swedish 6500 Abu c3 ct green mag elite and 60lb braid straight through 

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, neil r said:

Never tried fixed spool down , think I’ll try it when I’m after rays on Friday on the Mersey . The Abu is more of a clean ground reel and I’ve not got a rough ground reel yet so I’ll be back on the 8k’s  for rough ground 

6 minutes ago, neil r said:

I’m going to try both ways , tried reel down but I was still using my right hand on the reel and you’re right it feels a bit awkward . The vids I’ve seen I noticed the reel down casters we’re using their left hand on the reel and right hand up the rod which looks easier . None of the vids showing you how to cast have actually mentioned doing it though 

I use my left hand with a FS, takes a bit of getting used to but gives you 2ft more rod

• Like 2

Just been out for some quick left handed practice casts and didn’t do too bad . When I got the timing right it went a fair way . This was one of the better casts with the mag on 4 because of the head on wind but there’s not much left on the spool . According to the specs the reel takes 200m of .40 and the braid .42 so some of them casts must have been 150ish 

06965D26-A618-47CA-A2E0-9CB93D3A4ADE.jpeg

3ACB3D4D-5EA4-4B6A-A43C-391643F78B6D.jpeg

• Like 1

I've got lhw and rhw multipliers all used on top of the rod. Initially the rhw ones take some getting used to when you've spent over 40 years winding with your left hand, but eventually it all clicks and it is easy to swap one way for another. Just keep practising in the garden or on some spare ground. You don't need to do full blooded casts. Just gentle lobs to familiarise yourself with them.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Nicepix said:

I've got lhw and rhw multipliers all used on top of the rod. Initially the rhw ones take some getting used to when you've spent over 40 years winding with your left hand, but eventually it all clicks and it is easy to swap one way for another. Just keep practising in the garden or on some spare ground. You don't need to do full blooded casts. Just gentle lobs to familiarise yourself with them.

I’m ok with swapping hands to reel in with the reel up the rod , it does take some getting used to when every other fixed spool and multiplier I’ve got is left hand wind but it’s not too bad once you’ve done it a few times  . This was pendulum casting with the reel down and using my left hand on the reel and right hand up the rod but still casting from the right side . I’ve never tried it before and only noticed it when watching pendulum casting vids and none of them ever mention it , they describe everything else but not that they are using the left hand on the reel . They’ve probably been doing it that long it just comes naturally and they don’t even realise they’re doing something different 

You can see it in these pictures

9D492B3A-E83A-4F6A-90AE-F82BB802F1B5.png

D2AA3DC7-2993-49FB-8A89-AE90E65F7DD7.png

Edited by neil r
Added a couple of photos
  • Like 1

It used to be the norm' for gentlemen to cast their Hardy cane rod with their right hand then swap over to wind the Elerex or Silex reel that were lhw. Being a commoner I just adapt my casting to suit. So, with my vintage rods and reels I cast left handed and wind right handed and with everthing else the other way around. It becomes easier with practice. But I have never used the lower reel mount so cannot confirm it. 

652112725_Elarex5.jpg.0e6bdd8bcc177919c2172187894cdb86.jpg

1361621396_Bantam4.jpg.0d7f805e6a87e4bf31f44a4253033549.jpg

The modern baitcasters and ABU 6500C are all lefties, but these two are old fashioned righties. 

Edited by Nicepix
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, South hams hunter said:

You'll soon crack it mate; once you so it's second nature and will feel odd reel up

I should keep watching that saa vid before going casting just to make sure I’ve not forgot something . Still coming inside the tip too often also occasionally turning to hit it too soon and losing tension but I’m getting better and starting to understand why the cast went ok or why it didn’t and what was done wrong . 

4 hours ago, neil r said:

I should keep watching that saa vid before going casting just to make sure I’ve not forgot something . Still coming inside the tip too often also occasionally turning to hit it too soon and losing tension but I’m getting better and starting to understand why the cast went ok or why it didn’t and what was done wrong . 

I'm not sure if it's that video or the one with will amd Eddie but they say too slow it down and stop thinking about it ..... best advise I've had

1 hour ago, South hams hunter said:

I'm not sure if it's that video or the one with will amd Eddie but they say too slow it down and stop thinking about it ..... best advise I've had

It was one with Andy slack on the saa channel . It was one of the better vids on casting I’ve seen . He said pretty much the same thing about slowing it down . He said he counts 1 thousand 2 thousand when it reaches the top and then hits it . When I didn’t think about it was when I made the better casts but as soon as I started thinking about what I was doing and trying to focus on specific parts of the cast the distance dropped 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, neil r said:

It was one with Andy slack on the saa channel . It was one of the better vids on casting I’ve seen . He said pretty much the same thing about slowing it down . He said he counts 1 thousand 2 thousand when it reaches the top and then hits it . When I didn’t think about it was when I made the better casts but as soon as I started thinking about what I was doing and trying to focus on specific parts of the cast the distance dropped 

There's another casting one by saa with will and eddie; worth a watch aswell mate. 

I'm exactly the same; if I think I should have just thumped it 

• Like 2