Afaw or century

2 hours ago, neil r said:

The rods good , 7oz doesn’t trouble it but the bite detection is still there , properly light aswell . Think I’m going to get the uptide version aswell for the rays , smoothies and huss off the pier . Picked the reel up secondhand from a local shop and only had time to strip the line on the and put some braid on on Friday before I went but I stripped and serviced it yesterday and put ceramic bearings in . Also took the totally pointless single brake block out and just been out for a cast on the field . 3/4 emptying the spool with a 175gm and simple otg and my first attempts at pendulums without even hitting it hard and also feathering it to stop it going out of the field . Not had any birdies either 

Soon be pushing 200yrds ?

• Like 1

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m in the process of upping my game where casting is concerned, I’ve always just been happy to whack it out but I want to fine tune things!!    We had a good day on the boat yesterday, 14 spec

There's another casting one by saa with will and eddie; worth a watch aswell mate.    I'm exactly the same; if I think I should have just thumped it 

Come to try the new rod at low . I’ve coupled it with a Swedish 6500 Abu c3 ct green mag elite and 60lb braid straight through 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, ollieollie said:

Soon be pushing 200yrds ?

? I reckon the reel would need a bit of fettleling , a good drop in line diameter and someone better at casting than me to get that but if I can get somewhere near 150 consistently I’ll be happy . Think a few more goes with it to get used to the reel and the mag settings and a bit more power from me and I’m pretty confident I’ll be able to get close to emptying the reel . Not sure how much it holds , can’t see it being more than 170-180 of the 60lb braid . I might step down to 30 with a shock leader and see how it goes with that 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, neil r said:

? I reckon the reel would need a bit of fettleling , a good drop in line diameter and someone better at casting than me to get that but if I can get somewhere near 150 consistently I’ll be happy . Think a few more goes with it to get used to the reel and the mag settings and a bit more power from me and I’m pretty confident I’ll be able to get close to emptying the reel . Not sure how much it holds , can’t see it being more than 170-180 of the 60lb braid . I might step down to 30 with a shock leader and see how it goes with that 

I’m in the process of upping my game where casting is concerned, I’ve always just been happy to whack it out but I want to fine tune things!! 

We had a good day on the boat yesterday, 14 species in all including John Dory and a rare bonito landed. 

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, ollieollie said:

I’m in the process of upping my game where casting is concerned, I’ve always just been happy to whack it out but I want to fine tune things!! 

We had a good day on the boat yesterday, 14 species in all including John Dory and a rare bonito landed. 

I’ve been the same , normally just an overhead thump with the fixed spool and usually wasn’t a problem getting 100+ if needed but never bothered with multis for sea fishing other than a few sessions with a 515 mag4 and a magged fathom12 . Been watching people like Danny moeskops and djrmonix casting on YouTube and they make it look so easy . 

Nice one , 14 species is good going , sounds like a top session . Never seen a John Dory , don’t even know if we get them up here or not . Are them bonitos like tuna or am I thinking of something else 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, neil r said:

I’ve been the same , normally just an overhead thump with the fixed spool and usually wasn’t a problem getting 100+ if needed but never bothered with multis for sea fishing other than a few sessions with a 515 mag4 and a magged fathom12 . Been watching people like Danny moeskops and djrmonix casting on YouTube and they make it look so easy . 

Nice one , 14 species is good going , sounds like a top session . Never seen a John Dory , don’t even know if we get them up here or not . Are them bonitos like tuna or am I thinking of something else 

7B0D1ABA-A664-4BB8-BA99-8FB21560839B.jpeg

• Like 2
5 hours ago, ollieollie said:

4 hours ago, neil r said:

Best thing I've done for my casting is following the tips from slacky on SAAs video; both the aerial off the ground and his pendulum tips

• Like 2
4 hours ago, South hams hunter said:

Best thing I've done for my casting is following the tips from slacky on SAAs video; both the aerial off the ground and his pendulum tips

Nice one , not seen any of them .  Its the pendulum casting in particular I want to get better at , it’s not as easy as it looks and my usual method of using my size and power to cover any mistakes isn’t going to work this time , think I’m losing distance because of something that’s happening as the lead swings back and I turn into the cast . Also noticed on a couple of vids last night , and not seen anyone even mention it , they were using their left hand on the reel when fishing reel down but still casting from the right and it does more efficient and creating a bigger arc than what I’ve been doing 

Just watching an saa vid and straight away they’ve mentioned something I’ve been doing with the lead . I’ve been bringing it back inside the tip and also not waiting for the lead to start dropping  thinking that you need to keep it moving away from you to compress the rod . It’s a wonder I’ve been able to get as far as I am doing literally everything wrong 

1 hour ago, neil r said:

Just watching an saa vid and straight away they’ve mentioned something I’ve been doing with the lead . I’ve been bringing it back inside the tip and also not waiting for the lead to start dropping  thinking that you need to keep it moving away from you to compress the rod . It’s a wonder I’ve been able to get as far as I am doing literally everything wrong 

That slacky can cast aswell mate; he does over 300 regular.

Inside the tip is an issue I still have because I hit it too early 

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, South hams hunter said:

That slacky can cast aswell mate; he does over 300 regular.

Inside the tip is an issue I still have because I hit it too early 

That reel must be nearly empty when he casts , the lead seems to be in the air for ages . 

Stopping going inside the tip will probably be the trickiest bit to get right I think . It looks like slower is better with this cast and when you’re used to just whacking it out with a fixed spool it’s going to take some adjusting . 

3 hours ago, neil r said:

That reel must be nearly empty when he casts , the lead seems to be in the air for ages . 

Stopping going inside the tip will probably be the trickiest bit to get right I think . It looks like slower is better with this cast and when you’re used to just whacking it out with a fixed spool it’s going to take some adjusting . 

I fish fixed spool reel down and make sure I see the lead moving back out before I hit it now

• Like 1

Never tried fixed spool down , think I’ll try it when I’m after rays on Friday on the Mersey . The Abu is more of a clean ground reel and I’ve not got a rough ground reel yet so I’ll be back on the 8k’s  for rough ground