Afaw or century

Anyone got any experience with the century fireblade and how it compares to the Afaw 6 & bait thinking of getting one of them to replace my new Penn tidal xr that is getting returned because of pure fishings usual rubbish build quality . My mate uses a 6 & bait and I know it’s upto what I want one for but I’m curious to know if the fireblade is worth that bit extra and if it will cope with 6oz + leads plus biggish baits . I’m not interested in flattie or whiting bashing , it’s just for huss , smoothound and rays and maybe some winter codding over all types of ground so don’t need a fine tip just something that will sit nicely in the tide but not that stiff it will bounce the lead about with the braids lack of stretch 

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m in the process of upping my game where casting is concerned, I’ve always just been happy to whack it out but I want to fine tune things!!    We had a good day on the boat yesterday, 14 spec

There's another casting one by saa with will and eddie; worth a watch aswell mate.    I'm exactly the same; if I think I should have just thumped it 

Come to try the new rod at low . I’ve coupled it with a Swedish 6500 Abu c3 ct green mag elite and 60lb braid straight through 

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, ollieollie said:

6oz and a whole squid easy mate, I have a pair and they’re used on the Bristol Channel and cope with the strong pull well but show up well. 
A beauty of a rod at that price 

That’s what I was hoping to hear , if it’s ok on the bc it will do what I want . Most of my fishing is on the fylde where it’s pretty much snag free but I want something that can cope the mersey and places like the Menai straits and the rock marks round aberdaron without being undergunned . 
I just hope Gerry’s have some left when I go up on Wednesday 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, ollieollie said:

I know a guy who gives them some serious use in the Bristol channel as well. Far more than I give mine. 
Veals have them in stock if gerrys don’t but I presume it’s to have a feel before you part company with your cash 

I do want to have a look but mainly because I’m taking the Penn back there and I can just give them the extra if they have them . I’m sure they’ll have them , they had loads of century’s last time I was up and now that they can’t do zipplex anymore they’ll probably stock more of them 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, South hams hunter said:

Another point; my best mate owns a decent shop and he'll happily tell anyone he's sold more 6s than any other rod around that price. Fireblades for sale all the time already but you hardly see any afaws for sale. They do exactly as they say on the tin

The lad I fish with uses 6 & baits and loves them so I know they’re upto what I want them for and I’ve seen a fair few others up here so they do seem to sell well but I’ve not come across a fireblade yet and I’ve been wanting to try a century or zippy for years so I was curious how they compare  . I’ve see quite a few Afaw for sale on Facebook groups round here and in wales but not many fireblades but that’s probably because of the number that are sold up here . When I do see fireblades for sale it’s usually in the north east , can’t remember seeing one for sale round here for a long time but again that’s probably down to the numbers sold round here because other than Gerry’s I can’t think of anyone else doing century up here  . Looking at their website they have both in stock so I’ll get both out and have a look tomorrow 

Edited by neil r
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, neil r said:

The lad I fish with uses 6 & baits and loves them so I know they’re upto what I want them for and I’ve seen a fair few others up here so they do seem to sell well but I’ve not come across a fireblade yet and I’ve been wanting to try a century or zippy for years so I was curious how they compare  . I’ve see quite a few Afaw for sale on Facebook groups round here and in wales but not many fireblades but that’s probably because of the number that are sold up here . When I do see fireblades for sale it’s usually in the north east , can’t remember seeing one for sale round here for a long time but again that’s probably down to the numbers sold round here because other than Gerry’s I can’t think of anyone else doing century up here  . Looking at their website they have both in stock so I’ll get both out and have a look tomorrow 

The thing with the fireblade is they are a century but they're the 'entry level' so it's not the same calibre of rod as a t900 or kompressor. The same as a the 6s won't compare to a tournament pro. Don't get fooled by the name on em mate.

Let us know which one you get bud ?

6 minutes ago, South hams hunter said:

The thing with the fireblade is they are a century but they're the 'entry level' so it's not the same calibre of rod as a t900 or kompressor. The same as a the 6s won't compare to a tournament pro. Don't get fooled by the name on em mate.

Let us know which one you get bud ?

I know , and funnily enough there’s a few  t900’s for sale locally aswell as a tip tornado super match for 350 each . There’s also a red label Afaw tournament match for 150 and red label beach for 140 . I’m just a bit wary of buying a used one because you never know if they’ve had a knock or been abused . 

33 minutes ago, neil r said:

I know , and funnily enough there’s a few  t900’s for sale locally aswell as a tip tornado super match for 350 each . There’s also a red label Afaw tournament match for 150 and red label beach for 140 . I’m just a bit wary of buying a used one because you never know if they’ve had a knock or been abused . 

Completely agree; wouldn't buy a rod unless I know the seller personally 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ollieollie said:

Nice mate! 

The rods good , 7oz doesn’t trouble it but the bite detection is still there , properly light aswell . Think I’m going to get the uptide version aswell for the rays , smoothies and huss off the pier . Picked the reel up secondhand from a local shop and only had time to strip the line on the and put some braid on on Friday before I went but I stripped and serviced it yesterday and put ceramic bearings in . Also took the totally pointless single brake block out and just been out for a cast on the field . 3/4 emptying the spool with a 175gm and simple otg and my first attempts at pendulums without even hitting it hard and also feathering it to stop it going out of the field . Not had any birdies either 

• Like 1