Engineer / Physicist Type Question?

I'm trying to figure out how to physically test this with only a hose pipe and box. Can't figure that out :( 

Idea is this: I fit an aquarium filter (Very strong one!) to the bottom of the box. Fit a mesh, above the in / out flow pipes. Then, put rocks on top of that. Forming a sort of rock pool.

Then, I add water so that the pool is full. But, the 'action' is taking place below that mesh. Like this:

P1010001.JPG.4af40c30aaf2822ad644f84942ccd927.JPG

My question is: How may the water in the rock pool behave? I mean, there's liable to be some turbulence (?) in the water beneath the mesh ~ I'd imagine? But, could that be sufficiently dampened by the layer of rocks, laid over the mesh, above all that activity?

I'm looking to create a 'still' pool of filtered water, see?

* Can you imagine what it's like, going about with This sort of mind crippling shit inside ye head all the time? ?

Katch; Would not " Baffles in the reservoir tank " not amount to simply doing away with the mesh? :hmm:

To give some more to go on; I'm looking at a tank area of 18 x 18 x 4" deep.

Filter in question runs at 550 litres an hour. I'd reckon that's some flow, for such a stupidly small area of water body.

:hmm: Thinking, thinking, thinking ..... Okay, mate, this is developing.

I looked up 'Bio Rocks'. That's led me to 'Bio Balls'. Plastic things.

Now, obviously, this fukking great filter is going to suck the shit out ~ literally ~ of this poncey little drop of water. Hardly needs any further filtering.

But, it's got me to thinking how Plastic anything, in the bottom of this tank, is gonna far 'outweigh' (an unfortunate choice of term, maybe?) most rocks, in the 'not breaking the glass' stakes?

Now, That's an interesting proposition, is it not? Check out 'Bio Balls Filter Media'. They look like they'd certainly 'baffle' the water. Being that they'd also form an eventual, biological, added level of filtration too? Fukk me! I'll be making my tea with this stuff!

Regards 'experimenting'? That would be a luxury I'm without. I'm looking at over a ton for this filter alone. Can't really replicate its actions until I have the fukker.

'Katch22' sort of situation. Hence I'm testing the waters here. (Fukk it! Fukking cliche button ....!)

I worked for a major engineering company in their hydraulic lab for a while

Mainly on axial piston pumps, motors and transmissions.

The design team would design it, we would build it and test it, usually to destruction..

What Im trying to say is designs and theories are ok, but you won't know 'till you try it ! ?

Cheers.

• Thanks 1

Is the purpose of the flow simply to remove shit then? If so I'd ensure there is some 'buffer' water between the in/outlets at the bottom and the mesh. This will allow dead space to dissipate the turbulent waters energy, minimising turbulence above the mesh. I'd also minimise sharp angles in the proximity of the flow, I'd try to build the geometry at the bottom to minimise turbulence and resistance to maintain laminar flow.

That would be my thinking.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

You won't know 'till you try it ! ?

True enough, of course ;) But, I'm just trying to work on the thing about preparedness. At least trying to iron out as many creases ~ in Theory ~ as I can, before piling all manner of shit into my gorgeous new tank :)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Born Hunter said:

That would be my thinking.

:cray:Born; I'd just sat here, crafted a really usefully expanded reply to all that. Went into some details that would much better illuminate exactly why and wherefore. Was actually quite enjoying myself, freeing my tortured mind up a bit.

It popped up that Charts had done something. Thinking I'd pause to gather my next thoughts, I clicked something ..... Lost the fukking lot!!! :wallbash:

Ye know what it's like, of course; Haven't got the wherewithal to try and start recreating it all now :( 

Appreciate ye in put, mate. I'm kinda just hoping these balls might pretty much do what ever it is ye suggesting. At least prove about as near as I'm gonna get. Sat here, with my little fish tank. Big frog. And fukking ridiculous filter!

9 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

:cray:Born; I'd just sat here, crafted a really usefully expanded reply to all that. Went into some details that would much better illuminate exactly why and wherefore. Was actually quite enjoying myself, freeing my tortured mind up a bit.

It popped up that Charts had done something. Thinking I'd pause to gather my next thoughts, I clicked something ..... Lost the fukking lot!!! :wallbash:

Ye know what it's like, of course; Haven't got the wherewithal to try and start recreating it all now :( 

Appreciate ye in put, mate. I'm kinda just hoping these balls might pretty much do what ever it is ye suggesting. At least prove about as near as I'm gonna get. Sat here, with my little fish tank. Big frog. And fukking ridiculous filter!

No sweat, I spend my life pondering shit like this, so it's an enjoyable way to pass some time even if it goes nowhere. :thumbs:

12 minutes ago, South hams hunter said:

Why not just get an under gravel filter?

Aside from the fact that ye can't have gravel around these frogs, mate ~ they eat it and die ~ it's all about disturbance, see?  Filters need cleaning. One I'm looking at is an external canister type.

I was explaining all this, to Born. Before I fukked up and lost the will to go on.

40 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Aside from the fact that ye can't have gravel around these frogs, mate ~ they eat it and die ~ it's all about disturbance, see?  Filters need cleaning. One I'm looking at is an external canister type.

I was explaining all this, to Born. Before I fukked up and lost the will to go on.

Swap rocks for gravel. What you've drawn is the same principle as an under gravel filter system

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Ken's Deputy said:

I'm trying to figure out how to physically test this with only a hose pipe and box. Can't figure that out :( 

Idea is this: I fit an aquarium filter (Very strong one!) to the bottom of the box. Fit a mesh, above the in / out flow pipes. Then, put rocks on top of that. Forming a sort of rock pool.

Then, I add water so that the pool is full. But, the 'action' is taking place below that mesh. Like this:

P1010001.JPG.4af40c30aaf2822ad644f84942ccd927.JPG

My question is: How may the water in the rock pool behave? I mean, there's liable to be some turbulence (?) in the water beneath the mesh ~ I'd imagine? But, could that be sufficiently dampened by the layer of rocks, laid over the mesh, above all that activity?

I'm looking to create a 'still' pool of filtered water, see?

* Can you imagine what it's like, going about with This sort of mind crippling shit inside ye head all the time? ?

I've just re read it properly Ken and I don't believe there will be much movement above the rocks. 

A way to test this that would cost a 10er is to buy a drill pump and put it in the place of the filter 

• Like 2