Hornets emerging

Not the best photo , partially because l was using my  phone but mainly because l was standing under a nest full of hornets at the time?

Unfortunatly l had to kill them because the nest was  impeding some tree surgeons .  Before doing the deed l managed this picture of the inmates of the  pupation  cells being helped to freedom by their older relatives 

20220831_200306.jpg.34a82187ab43e0aae3de871bfde7c7a0.jpg

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Nicepix said:

Shame you couldn't have left a video cam on the nest Kev. Would have been brilliant.

I wouldn't fancy trying it with Asian hornets though. Bloomin' lethal they are.

?This lot weren't  exactly best pleased by having their  nest exposed by a chainsaw but while their siblings were bouncing off  me others still carried on with nursery duties.

I can imagine the reception if l'd suggested laying off the job for a day or two while l fimed some video footage . I don't  think my wildlife camera would've survived a trip through the shredder?

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, comanche said:

?This lot weren't  exactly best pleased by having their  nest exposed by a chainsaw but while their siblings were bouncing off  me others still carried on with nursery duties.

I can imagine the reception if l'd suggested laying off the job for a day or two while l fimed some video footage . I don't  think my wildlife camera would've survived a trip through the shredder?

You are lucky to get the gig. I've heard of tree surgeons dowsing nests with chainsaw fuel and setting light to it. Anything to save a delay.