What makes a good mole trap ?

Wolfe. Don’t know mate, but, when I was a sprog, my father made his own mole traps. (We we’re On a farm). Now I’m fairly sure that someone is going to jump on this but the trap was barrel shaped. I’m guessing about 150 mm long and about 60mm in diameter.  There was a hole in the top whereby fitted a wooden paddle which connected to a spring affair which, when dislodged, sprang two ring wires at either end of the barrel catching said mole. We had a lot of success with these traps. I’m fairly sure that there is a half barrel trap but once again I’ll leave it to the experts to explain. Fairly sure you’ll get some pics shortly. ATB.Jok.

3 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Few folk still make em, granda bob does the wooden ones an  lifelong Cumbrian took it a step further an used stainless pipe an they seem to catch, would love to try one as he has put a fair bit thought into them 

Iv seen Bob make them out of gas duct too, they will never rot 

• Like 1

WK. I wish there was a pic to show Wolfe. My fathe and his mate used to turn them on the lathe and made the spring arrangement from fencing wire. I can see them in my mind but can’t find a pic of one. Jok.

MK. That’s the baby. Thanks. I had just been googling where everything is stainless or similar. The Duffus looks the business. But yes that is what we used to use on the farm. Used to bury them for ages as I recall for scent purposes.  Jok.

2 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

It is a doddle to work with an a very well made trap if it’s a real one, but fcuk setting a couple hundred a them a day ? an they only catch one mole ?

Don't do many moles at all now but if i was it's a Duffus until I get a mole that doesn't want to play.. then out comes the talpax.

• Like 2
On 31/08/2022 at 09:37, W. Katchum said:

Can I ask what you mean? Ideally I want a trap I can take out package and set an catch, less tweaks the better but ofcourse most take a couple atleast before goin In ground, ideally it needs to be well built so no rattley or shakey parts as once iv bed it In I only want it to move once, when it’s firing, power, it okay having it set in right place an being well made but if it ain’t got the power to make you swear when you get you finger then I’d throw it in hedge, price is also a factor but again it works around rest of the trap, how well built an how powerful it is an how many uses before it’s as weak as a vegan, needs to be small an light enough to carry a load an needs to simple enough to use that even ha simple mole men can use em ?

Well just curious on what eveyone like to see in a mole trap.j don't trap moles no real interest but you guys talk about them alot. So like anything,traps ,snares ,guns ,rods I just interested in hearing about what eveyone likes or what like the common though in what makes a good mole trap a good mole trap

Bottom line is,...Its all about the money, money....?

As for traps,...I always aim to use the most suitable type,.. for the tunnels that are being run....

Tried most styles over the years,....they all work good enough....?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 1
30 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

Bottom line is,...Its all about the money, money....?

As for traps,...I always aim to use the most suitable type,.. for the tunnels that are being run....

Tried most styles over the years,....they all work good enough....?

Waiting for the Bone Man?

img Scans333.jpg

Looks like there in jail lol ? 

• Haha 1