Rabbit shooting thread

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Numbers been shaping here too lately  Had a evening out with few of the lads last Friday .Did ok 

Popped over the moors to one of my rabbitting permissions yesterday that I havent been to this year to assess the rabbit population.  After a cuppa with the old boy I set off for a wander in sear

Posted Images

• 3 months later...

Had a couple this afternoon was out for an hour 3 within 15 minutes one disappeared god knows where, it’s been a busy Christmas wife’s mum has been in hospital all throughout Alzheimer's and other stuff surprising how an hours walk with the gun clears the head and makes you feel so much better.

23B3C0E5-C92E-492C-BF7D-9C15A3432CB8.jpeg.3a18ab8519e7bb7ce05c154875fa7d05.jpegE847676D-5CEE-424C-854E-2D663145211C.jpeg.5c5787a6ce940c4211e5bef33707b27f.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, Stavross said:

Lovely stuff, sometimes all you need is an hour or so to yourself sat in a field just to ease the madness of life ?

It’s definitely a form of therapy work gets me in a bit of a mood sometimes nice walk around the farm and I’m right as rain don’t even have to shoot anything it’s being the only person out there that i really appreciate. 

• Like 4
31 minutes ago, FLATTOP said:

It’s definitely a form of therapy work gets me in a bit of a mood sometimes nice walk around the farm and I’m right as rain don’t even have to shoot anything it’s being the only person out there that i really appreciate. 

Solitude is heaven to me mate .Throw in a bit of wildlife and I’m chilled .Lost count of the times I’ve totally forgotten  about the shite at work until I’m there again .One encounter stays with me for hours after the event .

Need not be trigger pulling ,just me and nature .

• Like 2
1 minute ago, foxdropper said:

Solitude is heaven to me mate .Throw in a bit of wildlife and I’m chilled .Lost count of the times I’ve totally forgotten  about the shite at work until I’m there again .One encounter stays with me for hours after the event .

Need not be trigger pulling ,just me and nature .

I totally get it when your surrounded by people family even they all bloody want something or other us people with permission are very lucky we get to walk land that others don’t have access to, it’s nice to see it change with the seasons very bleak out there today but a thousand times better than all those crowds in London last night my worst nightmare.

• Like 3

Raining hard here or I’d be out now ,ratting with the rapid .Out on a splash with a mate tomorrow so that might have to do me until work Wednesday .Might just slip in a stalk or two for meat if I’m lucky .

Like you say we are very lucky to have land to wander at will with a gun .

• Like 2

Been out today all day and bagged nothing. Saw plenty of wildlife. Finches, treecreepers, woodcock's. It was grand, right up to the point some ramblers came walking through and everything just disappeared!

Why do they bother, they see nothing at all! I had a young male peregrine hunting redwings at speed right in front of me. They though see nothing. Can't they just walk around a municipal town park for a few laps instead.

• Like 4
On 01/01/2023 at 19:24, foxdropper said:

Raining hard here or I’d be out now ,ratting with the rapid .Out on a splash with a mate tomorrow so that might have to do me until work Wednesday .Might just slip in a stalk or two for meat if I’m lucky .

Like you say we are very lucky to have land to wander at will with a gun .

I popped out on New Years Day night as needed some fresh air as been at work all week and never been out. The moon was bright so I knew I would struggle with the rabbits but just had to be out.

Pulled up in the farmyard and had a bit craic with the farmer and wished him all the best then off I went. The moon came out and the clouds parted and it was very bright. Couldn't get near the bunnies so had to take shots at around 70 yds and managed these OK then started missing every rabbit between 30 and 50 yds , started blaming the Winny Subs , then me then I realised rifle was shooting high. Anyway got a few rabbits but missed just as many ? 

So yesterday I was out with Stavross zeroing my HMR and .22LR

The .22 was shooting high so have now got it spot on for my next session hopefully with no misses , if so it will be pilot error .

When I got back to the car I zapped a rat at a mighty 8yds 

DSC00348.JPG

• Like 2
1 hour ago, FOXHUNTER said:

I popped out on New Years Day night as needed some fresh air as been at work all week and never been out. The moon was bright so I knew I would struggle with the rabbits but just had to be out.

Pulled up in the farmyard and had a bit craic with the farmer and wished him all the best then off I went. The moon came out and the clouds parted and it was very bright. Couldn't get near the bunnies so had to take shots at around 70 yds and managed these OK then started missing every rabbit between 30 and 50 yds , started blaming the Winny Subs , then me then I realised rifle was shooting high. Anyway got a few rabbits but missed just as many ? 

So yesterday I was out with Stavross zeroing my HMR and .22LR

The .22 was shooting high so have now got it spot on for my next session hopefully with no misses , if so it will be pilot error .

When I got back to the car I zapped a rat at a mighty 8yds 

DSC00348.JPG

Spot on mate .

Last night saw me venturing out again under the full moon , not ideal but just needed to be out.

I dropped on a bit of ground I haven't shot this year expecting a few but there was very few and what there was were the most lamp shy rabbits in the country . Other people hunt the ground so no surprise and I worked very hard for the 4 rabbits I shot here.

I then moved to another small piece of ground , again extremely shy but manged a few more here.

This ground will now be rested til the Summer when I will see how they've bred and shoot it earlier next season.

I've still got another 2 farms that I haven't shot yet so will visit them once this moon is off. 

DSC00351.JPG

• Like 3
On 10/01/2023 at 15:27, FOXHUNTER said:

Last night saw me venturing out again under the full moon , not ideal but just needed to be out.

I dropped on a bit of ground I haven't shot this year expecting a few but there was very few and what there was were the most lamp shy rabbits in the country . Other people hunt the ground so no surprise and I worked very hard for the 4 rabbits I shot here.

I then moved to another small piece of ground , again extremely shy but manged a few more here.

This ground will now be rested til the Summer when I will see how they've bred and shoot it earlier next season.

I've still got another 2 farms that I haven't shot yet so will visit them once this moon is off. 

DSC00351.JPG

It’s good your going to rest the ground and let them breed but sounds like others may not be so sensible. Hate it when landowners give multiple people permission for the same quarry, makes it a lot harder to manage a permission. 

• Like 1