One for the pot

3 minutes ago, grompz said:

real true words, just like it was for lots of folk, the good old days

youve got me reflecting back now matey, best days of my life, boy could i tell a tale, but what sticks in my mind , is going out we a mates manchester terrier 

called fagin, on a saturday, and coming home we a couple of bunnies, and to see my mums face, cos there would be meat on the table, that will always stay with me

• Like 5

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Only in the winter of the miners strike when me and the wife and a two year old only got 20 pound a week to live on every rabbit hare pheasant partridge counted not so much to eat but to sell i also t

I well remember working on a trout farm back in 1985. Farm went bankrupt mid November,  we was out of work being owed a month's wages, Christmas coming up, no jobs about and a wife and 1 Yr old to car

I can't remember HAVING to catch something to eat because there was nothing in the 'fridge, but I can remember not having a 'fridge.....or a 'phone, or a telly ? I know when times were a little t

Posted Images

This generation will tell their kids of the hard times they struggled through, having no PS5, having to choose their gender,and the time their WiFi went off for a weekend, different people back in the 70's and the 80's.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I can remember the 60's and 70's, ferrets, air guns and a motley pack of dogs wandering the blackthorn scrub filled chalk quarries, woods populated with Elm trees or fields with the churring of Corn buntings. In a way hard times in that we didn't have much but saying that we didn't have much less than the middle classes either and importantly we had good safety nets. We lived in a council house for an affordable rent, had a decent NHS with a GP when needed, who would actually come out to see the elderly, everyone had a dentist along with reasonable schooling etc so maybe not so terrible a time.

Edited by sandymere
  • Like 8
4 hours ago, fred90 said:

agree mate and I think it's sod's law it will be a long hard winter with plenty of snow 

And to honest mate, people who struggle paying bills, and trying to keep there house warm, won't be going lamping rabbits, if they go it be after deer, or setting nets for salmon. Or in reality, they   go for somthing that would bring far money than game ever would. I reckon few people could easy get  coppers knocking on there door, and won't be for poxy rabbit   hare, deer. Going to a terrible  6 months for lot poor people, bloody shame. 

7 minutes ago, bird said:

And to honest mate, people who struggle paying bills, and trying to keep there house warm, won't be going lamping rabbits, if they go it be after deer, or setting nets for salmon. Or in reality, they   go for somthing that would bring far money than game ever would. I reckon few people could easy get  coppers knocking on there door, and won't be for poxy rabbit   hare, deer. Going to a terrible  6 months for lot poor people, bloody shame. 

If people going to risk a conviction I would think diesel would be a far more worth wile thing to rob. £1 a litre will soon add up 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bird Catcher said:

I well remember working on a trout farm back in 1985. Farm went bankrupt mid November,  we was out of work being owed a month's wages, Christmas coming up, no jobs about and a wife and 1 Yr old to care for. No help from dole / social. Was out nearly everyday ferreting,  watching for the birds going to roost late afternoon so I could come back that night with the pellet gun or Ludger. Lamping every 1/2 decent night or ferreting in dodgy places at night with a full moon. Had a fantastic little dog then , and for 3 months we lived off what that dog caught and what else we could get. Apart from selling a few Xmas trees ( I happened to find a plantation on a local estate) we also went out digging spuds or any other veg we happen to come across.  3 months might not sound a long time but you try it !! My kids grew up on rabbits/ Hares etc and ate so many I'm surprised they didn't grow up with long ears. That little lurcher lived till 15 and I cried like a baby when he was pts. Had a few since then and although they all have their + and - , he has a special place because of the hard times. By the way, still up to the same crack now 40 Yr on, only for sport now of course 

a good read that mate,

Having hard times can make us

appreciate the dogs more

for what they do for us.. 

Think the future so say green

agenda is to lessen our meat

consumption and get us all eating bugs?

we could end up relying on our dogs again some day soon

do you remember the breeding of

your little dog, is it any different to

what you keep today.. 

• Like 3
7 hours ago, fred90 said:

great picture ?. I was 18 during the strike, father on strike as well. poached more to sell rather than eat. Good market for it then. few of us used to syphon petrol so we could get to the good ground in Lincolnshire. always took from works vans I don't regret any of it. 

Like I said in the previous posts I took risks out of desperation knowing I needed the money to put food on the table or pay the electric bill. Poaching Chatsworth in a November afternoon was sheer madness looking back also I would be out every night despite weather conditions as even on a poor night anything game wise was better than nothing. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, reddog70 said:

a good read that mate,

Having hard times can make us

appreciate the dogs more

for what they do for us.. 

Think the future so say green

agenda is to lessen our meat

consumption and get us all eating bugs?

we could end up relying on our dogs again some day soon

do you remember the breeding of

your little dog, is it any different to

what you keep today.. 

Yes mate , i well remember how he was bred, he was 22 1\2 tts a blue dog, his mum was called Rose a first x collie  greyhound, fantastic bitch on the lamp, i knew her 5 year before my mate bred off her and gave me the pick of the litter, his dad belonged to a gamekeeper from Farrington Gurney and was a greyhound \ saluki x whippet\bedlington,

i always prefer the smaller type lurcher for what i do,  lost a great little dog (12 yr old) just before last xmas 3\4 whippet 1\4 collie, proper little pot filler and great on birds as well . now days for a bit of lamping or ferreting plus a lot of mooching i got a 3\4 itallian greyhound 1\4 whippet (very clever dog} and a line bred bedlington\ whippet mix who is nearly 8 month ( proper headstrong little buggar but a fantastic character)

• Like 5

Good post mooch??I can’t say I’ve been though times as hard as some of you lads have but I’ve had times were being in low payed jobs when younger or no work meant there was no budget left for food or food in any quantity was available so nocking a few bits over was always welcome but I’ve always prided my self on being a adaptable person in any situation so times were never as hard as probably what they actually were for me. I personally think having a few tough times sets you up in life being more prepared for what could be round the corner I like the whole idea of home steading an practice it my self small scale but I don’t need to as I’m ok on the money front but think it’s a handy skill to have I can’t get my head round why in schools they don’t teach kids more about growing there own food an picking wild foods 

• Like 7

I remember when my kids were young and we had to move to the country to escape a bad situation. We lived on potato and onions for weeks until I borrowed ferrets from the new neighbor and boiled the rabbits then crumbed them and told the kids it was Kentucky Fried. I hate eating rabbit but I convinced myself as well, lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
7 hours ago, Bird Catcher said:

Yes mate , i well remember how he was bred, he was 22 1\2 tts a blue dog, his mum was called Rose a first x collie  greyhound, fantastic bitch on the lamp, i knew her 5 year before my mate bred off her and gave me the pick of the litter, his dad belonged to a gamekeeper from Farrington Gurney and was a greyhound \ saluki x whippet\bedlington,

i always prefer the smaller type lurcher for what i do,  lost a great little dog (12 yr old) just before last xmas 3\4 whippet 1\4 collie, proper little pot filler and great on birds as well . now days for a bit of lamping or ferreting plus a lot of mooching i got a 3\4 itallian greyhound 1\4 whippet (very clever dog} and a line bred bedlington\ whippet mix who is nearly 8 month ( proper headstrong little buggar but a fantastic character)

Sounds like you have some great little dogs there mate

Some of my permission is on large feilds and i do miss my big dog that i lost to cancer

my current crew though are 22tts and under

prob about right for todays current climate ?

the currant climate were they are squeezing people but most now haven’t a clue how to feed there self and it’s all illegal now they don’t want you feeding yourself it’s been made a priority to target anyone trying 

• Like 7
  • Sad 1