The Unintended Keeper ( Diary of a keeping blagger )

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well that’s it for another season  last Saturday was game shooting at its best, lovely clear day, freezing cold and just syndicate members shooting ( and my mate Mosh, but he’s with me, so that’s

Well thank you SL. I have just completed my suspension and read the above posts.  Going forward I will not make any more negative comments and hopefully get this section back to the way it u

So. I’ve decided to start a new thread for the 22/23 season up at the shoot now as you know I’ve been involved with my shoot for a long time ( 15 years or so ) my intention when I joined was to s

Posted Images

1 hour ago, BenBhoy said:

Ha sage Derby. First time I tried it, won't be getting it again, bit tasteless& rubbery. I do like Stilton, I live a few miles from one of the places they're allowed to make it. ?

I bought some Stilton from a Christmas market that is running at a famous stately home where I go loading. We all go and have a look around at lunchtime, I went back to the stall I bought the cheese from and said “ that cheese you sold me yesterday was mouldy “!! The face on her , some people have no sense of humour. ?

• Haha 3
On 04/12/2022 at 10:22, BenBhoy said:

I went out last night despite weather but had a 'mare. Missed 2 ?. I knew it wasn't me, felt good. Checked zero coordinate on pard 008S when I got back, and yep they'd shifted again. 3rd time it's happened, lost all faith in it now, going back to rear add on. ?

Is it the standard mount it comes with?

2 hours ago, ianm said:

Is it the standard mount it comes with?

Yes mate. And I don't like the mount but its not mount issue this time. The actual on screen crosshairs have shifted from their saved position. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BenBhoy said:

Thing is mate, by next spring I can see myself using the 204 during the day just as much (if not more) than at night. 

Was using it on my stalking rifle on QD pic mounts swapped between day scope and nv. Have got dedicated 223 for foxing now which is what I used to use years ago. Gone full circle reason being noise at night.

I know you rate that 204 Ben my mate has one blaser r8 absolutely loves it

• Like 1
13 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Have you used an Alpex Ian ?

Yes and there was a lot of faffing about with the i/r to get a suitable picture. I don't like having to mess about with the i/r or brightness settings etc when a fox is on the move ie: coming in quickly. What i have found is that all of the sub 1k scopes struggle with copious amounts of i/r which is what you need to reach out to the distances we tend to shoot foxes at. The reason i believe is because these scopes aren't intended for UK shooters shooting a small target (fox) at extended ranges. They are primarily designed for european and american pig shooters where as little amount of i/r as possible is the order of the day and of course a much  larger target a lot closer. All that plus where i am on the West coast there tends to be a lot of moisture in the air most nights which degrades the picture even further. There is no hard and fast rule for n/v it is all a compromise and down to where you are shooting and the ranges. A lot of where i shoot is open arable land with switched on foxes so a 200yd shot is a luxury, a lot of them are 300/350yds and i have found the only one to cope consistently with (A) the amount of i/r needed and (B) the moisture is the Drone.  So much so that i am buying another this week. 

• Like 3

Two on nv forum Ian 10x and 15x after having a 15 for a bit it was too bulky for me and a bit of a bugger picking them up when running in. 

Been impressed with c50 on hmr. Only used for rabbits mainly though on golf course contracts. A lot bigger field of view than pard 008. But still not as good as drone

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, ianm said:

Yes and there was a lot of faffing about with the i/r to get a suitable picture. I don't like having to mess about with the i/r or brightness settings etc when a fox is on the move ie: coming in quickly. What i have found is that all of the sub 1k scopes struggle with copious amounts of i/r which is what you need to reach out to the distances we tend to shoot foxes at. The reason i believe is because these scopes aren't intended for UK shooters shooting a small target (fox) at extended ranges. They are primarily designed for european and american pig shooters where as little amount of i/r as possible is the order of the day and of course a much  larger target a lot closer. All that plus where i am on the West coast there tends to be a lot of moisture in the air most nights which degrades the picture even further. There is no hard and fast rule for n/v it is all a compromise and down to where you are shooting and the ranges. A lot of where i shoot is open arable land with switched on foxes so a 200yd shot is a luxury, a lot of them are 300/350yds and i have found the only one to cope consistently with (A) the amount of i/r needed and (B) the moisture is the Drone.  So much so that i am buying another this week. 

Thanks Ian. 

I will only be shooting foxes to a maximum of 150 yds so presume the IR is adequate for that range ? What do you think ?

21 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Thanks Ian. 

I will only be shooting foxes to a maximum of 150 yds so presume the IR is adequate for that range ? What do you think ?

You may well find it is ok on your side of the country as the East is generally a lot drier than the West. You are going to have to experiment with different I/r/s to see which suits your situation the best. Don’t just get an I/r go out foxing and expect everything to be good. Spend a few hours on different nights trying different things so that you know what to expect under certain circumstances. A bit of time spent practicing will give you knowledge about the product you are using and more importantly save you from falling out with it because it isn’t doing what you expected it to do out of the box.

• Like 3
31 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Thanks Ian. 

Whichever nv unit you choose, the supplied/on board ir (especially vcsel) is never going to be as good as a dedicated 3rd party torch. Even below 100yds, the image quality will be better with an additional torch, its not just about the yards/range. 

• Like 3