The Unintended Keeper ( Diary of a keeping blagger )

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well that’s it for another season  last Saturday was game shooting at its best, lovely clear day, freezing cold and just syndicate members shooting ( and my mate Mosh, but he’s with me, so that’s

Well thank you SL. I have just completed my suspension and read the above posts.  Going forward I will not make any more negative comments and hopefully get this section back to the way it u

So. I’ve decided to start a new thread for the 22/23 season up at the shoot now as you know I’ve been involved with my shoot for a long time ( 15 years or so ) my intention when I joined was to s

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, sparky the hunter said:

Cheers for the kind words FH, i do what i can work permitting.

I shoot quite a few magpies on 1 farm , would love to run a Larsen but it's a 20 mile round trip and I wouldnt be able to check it daily. 

20211010_174637.jpg

• Like 1
5 hours ago, sparky the hunter said:

Listening to David Attenbrough talking about how we can leave the country in a better state for the next generation got me thinking.

I walked around one of my permissions and saw Lapwings, Oystercatchers and grey partridges.  I feel that all the Predator control i carry out must fall into this category but the BBC wont acknowledge it.  We did not create modern land use practices but we seem to be supporting the wildlife that does poorly in our modern agricultural landscape, when do you think the mainstream media will wake up to this?20230409_184119.jpg.73f722766a7893442a9e81bb708da872.jpg

20230409_184119.jpg

I have absolutely no time for that hypocritical old twat Attenborough.

He has spent decades globe trotting with a huge production team chatting shit about wildlife then has the temerity to lecture us on not travelling etc for the good of the planet. F**k him! 

The best way to leave the countryside in a good state for those that come after us is to leave the management of it to the people that (A) live in it and (B) spend a lot of time in it. Not some Herbert that has done a uni course or a mealy mouthed politician.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, ianm said:

I have absolutely no time for that hypocritical old twat Attenborough.

He has spent decades globe trotting with a huge production team chatting shit about wildlife then has the temerity to lecture us on not travelling etc for the good of the planet. F**k him! 

The best way to leave the countryside in a good state for those that come after us is to leave the management of it to the people that (A) live in it and (B) spend a lot of time in it. Not some Herbert that has done a uni course or a mealy mouthed politician.

Meaningful words mate ,like it .

• 4 weeks later...

Well another potential problem sorted last night. I have spotted a fox on the cameras on and off for a while at the game and sheep farm. It had a really peculiar pattern. It would turn up early hours of the morning between 3 and 5 . The following night between 9 and 12 then disappear for 5/6 nights. Anyway it hasn’t been around for 3 weeks but turned up last Friday early hours again. It also made an appearance early hours of Saturday morning. The farmer rang me to say he had smelled it around the duck, pheasant and partridge pens. I decided to go last night to see if it made an appearance. I took a mate of mine with me in his own vehicle so that I could set him up watching one area whilst I watched another. Just before 10 my phone was buzzing in my pocket and I saw the caller was my mate. I answered and he said he had seen it and it was making its way towards me but behind me. I quickly turned around and saw it two fields away mooching along. Hares began to run about away from it and all the lapwings were in the air making a fuss. It turned towards me and started to come in my direction. At this point I changed position on the Jimny and stood on the nearside door sill looking backwards. It kept coming towards me and slid under a gate into the field i was overlooking. It then turned to to my right. I followed it through the Senopex A7 and when it stopped I touched off a shot. I saw bits of it fly into the air and the fox disappeared in the longish grass. I called my mate and told him it had been shot and to come and help me find it. It took a bit of finding but I eventually spotted it with the thermal. I had forgotten about the grass getting up a bit and left the dog at home, I won’t be doing that again. It was a smallish vixen that had cubbed and had been just over two hundred yards away. I know where the earths are and have asked another mate to go today to deal with whatever is there with the terriers.

6FE8F6D2-9591-4128-BFF1-2AE575F7BA99.jpeg

• Like 3

Good bit of teamwork there Ian nice write up I like the bit 

6 minutes ago, ianm said:

I saw bits of it fly into the air

I reckon the farmer will be well pleased with that well done.

• Like 1
On 08/05/2023 at 14:27, FLATTOP said:

Good bit of teamwork there Ian nice write up I like the bit 

I reckon the farmer will be well pleased with that well done.

The farmer was very happy that it had been removed. He said that whenever he has had serious damage done, it was always a small vixen like that one. 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, ianm said:

The farmer was very happy that it had been removed. He said that whenever he has had serious damage done, it was always a small vixen like that one. 

Always the way , I once had to deal with a lamb killer , it had killed over 20 in a week.

When I eventually caught up with her it was the smallest vixen I have ever seen.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not put owt on here for a bit because it’s a bit lite on people so here goes

last week I got a phone call from a chicken farmer next to the sheep farm I shoot, apparently a fox had just knackered his rooster at 12 in the afternoon, so I had a trip up that evening, I really struggled to get on a fox due to it always being around the buildings, I got another phone call a couple of days ago tell me that the ginger tw*t had ran past the Tesco delivery lad at 2pm with a hen in its gob, jump forward a bit and tonight was the 4th attempt to deal with it, so this time I went to see the lad next door to see if I could have access to the back of his place to see if I could get it on the track at the rear of the farm, sure enough at around 9:30 it appeared on the track at about 180 yards, making it’s way towards me after making around 50 yards it turned as if it was going through the hedge, a quick “Oi” stopped it long enough to put a 90gr from the.243 in its laughing gear, took a bit of getting this one but worth the effort to put the chicken lads mind at ease 

IMG_7442.jpeg

IMG_7438.jpeg

IMG_7485.jpeg

IMG_7486.jpeg

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

Stopped raining so popped out for the last hour before dark.

Spied a buck out feeding as I approached a gap in the hedge , up on sticks and an easy shot at around 60 yards dropped him on the spot. 

A lovely mature buck which I hadn't seen before ?

20230721_213749.jpg

• Like 1