The Unintended Keeper ( Diary of a keeping blagger )

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well that’s it for another season  last Saturday was game shooting at its best, lovely clear day, freezing cold and just syndicate members shooting ( and my mate Mosh, but he’s with me, so that’s

Well thank you SL. I have just completed my suspension and read the above posts.  Going forward I will not make any more negative comments and hopefully get this section back to the way it u

So. I’ve decided to start a new thread for the 22/23 season up at the shoot now as you know I’ve been involved with my shoot for a long time ( 15 years or so ) my intention when I joined was to s

Posted Images

No sign of lamb killer so tried next door and called one immediately.  Unfortunately it came that fast had no time to mute caller and it literally ran in to the caller before circling off and watching in an unsafe position.  

Well I know where it is ....would have been better off with shotgun ....might try that next.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

No sign of lamb killer so tried next door and called one immediately.  Unfortunately it came that fast had no time to mute caller and it literally ran in to the caller before circling off and watching in an unsafe position.  

Well I know where it is ....would have been better off with shotgun ....might try that next.

You will be lucky if it comes to a call again now it is educated to them. Might be better forgetting the caller and try to kill it over bait.

Thought I would try and call that fox in daylight to the shotgun , how hard can it be. Roy Lupton makes it look easy on Fieldsports Britain ??

Guess what ......no sign.

So went in search of squirrels and bagged 3.

Left 2 hung on the fence for Mr Foxs supper ?

20230321_162416.jpg

20230321_172539.jpg

• Like 4
On 15/03/2023 at 14:32, Stavross said:

I said that to the lad in the shop, if it worked out at 5 quid a round the likes of you and me would still pay it because we can and it’s what we love to do, but for some it’s pricing them out, I know an old boy who loves his shotgun shooting, he lives in a private rental ( because the council don’t give a sh*t about housing the likes of him) and is really struggling with the way everything has gone up, when I seen him a week or so ago he said he hadn’t been out on the pigeons because it was a toss up between electric or cartridges, I went home and got everything I had left over from last season and dropped it off for him, I wanted to go and buy him a slab but I know he’d be offended by that, I was looking at Bismuth in the shop and they were £1400 a thousand ?

I am surprised you haven’t set yourself up to reload. It is cheaper and you can tailor the rounds to suit your rifle far better than factory stuff. I have just prepped some cases for loading this week. Crow and magpie battering season is here so I will need them.

ED9C48B3-3057-4AA6-9651-47CD89666B34.jpeg

• Like 4

308w, bullet £1, powder 0,4£, primer 0,07£ =1,47

LEE reloading set ~190£ + tools for each cartridge

....but its not the right time to start now with low component availability cant find primers prices has gone up on everything.

Reloading used to be a cheaper option but with todays prices plus the cost of setting up it is no longer. 

You will need to be using a serious amount of ammo before recouping your investment which most recreational shooters never will.

A lot easier to walk into your local shop. 

42 minutes ago, KimE said:

308w, bullet £1, powder 0,4£, primer 0,07£ =1,47

LEE reloading set ~190£ + tools for each cartridge

....but its not the right time to start now with low component availability cant find primers prices has gone up on everything.

I know, i am down to my last 7.000 primers, 3,000 bullets and sixteen tubs of powder. I need to stock up while my local rfd still has piles of everything. ?    

• Haha 1