The Unintended Keeper ( Diary of a keeping blagger )

24 minutes ago, David.evans said:

Ian 

glad you had a great day out , and shot a few , please explain how you managed to hang up a plastic decoy pigeon ( see photo 2 ) ?

to much wine may be ?

I think someone just hung it up so it doesn’t get lost or carted off with one of the dogs.?

• Haha 1

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well that’s it for another season  last Saturday was game shooting at its best, lovely clear day, freezing cold and just syndicate members shooting ( and my mate Mosh, but he’s with me, so that’s

Well thank you SL. I have just completed my suspension and read the above posts.  Going forward I will not make any more negative comments and hopefully get this section back to the way it u

So. I’ve decided to start a new thread for the 22/23 season up at the shoot now as you know I’ve been involved with my shoot for a long time ( 15 years or so ) my intention when I joined was to s

Posted Images

Unbelievably wet up there this morning, I got there for 7:30 and the birds were already off roost and on the hunt for a feed, they are in every drive now and are taking a lot of feed, the piggeries are looking better and I’ve managed to draw a few more in, I’ve also managed to create an other drive over the valley where we don’t put any birds, when I got there around 10am this morning there was between 50 and 60 of next doors in the wood and along the fence. With a week to go until the first day I’ve go my fingers crossed for a good start to our season, I’ll be up there again tomorrow on the look out for a fallow, strangely this morning was the first time I didn’t see any, Sod’s law ? did see 3 roe doe’s together but that’s not what I’m after 

6C31030A-2F58-42A8-A0CA-A210C29296BA.jpeg

B7F9D76F-46BC-44C1-A46D-80B0F6B03053.jpeg

• Like 4
1 hour ago, BenBhoy said:

Best of luck tomorrow stav. Hope they fly well (especially next doors!!) and the weather is kind. ?

Cheers mate, fingers crossed for a good day, I’ll be up there at sparrow fart in the morning to work out what we are going to do, there’s been a few more bird flu cases around there but there’s nothing I can do about that so it will be what it will be ?

• Like 1

Second day at our shoot today. The birds flew well considering the weather ( bright sun and next to no wind).

We finished up on 63 head, i killed 6 mallard 5 pheasants and the only partridge of the day. One of the cock pheasants was a white one which incurs a fine but i don't care because it was a really good bird.  

• Like 3
59 minutes ago, ianm said:

Second day at our shoot today. The birds flew well considering the weather ( bright sun and next to no wind).

We finished up on 63 head, i killed 6 mallard 5 pheasants and the only partridge of the day. One of the cock pheasants was a white one which incurs a fine but i don't care because it was a really good bird.  

Partridge....was it English or French ?

First day done

first drive was “tip drive” started of slow with half a dozen coming out before we reached the gutter (tip) lined out again for a few more birds before we turn the drive and push it down, this is where all the birds are and it wasn’t long before they were going in every direction, after that excitement was stopped for refreshments, bramble gin and Prosecco, home made sausage rolls, apple cake and lemon drizzle. Now the “oak wood” drive, with the weather the birds were in the rape, so with the guns being behind the beating line the birds that got up would go back over and by the time they reached the guns they were a hell of a hight, next was “Gordon’s pen” now we didn’t go mad here as there was a lot of birds in and around the pen, so letting a good number get into the cover away from the drive we started to push the thick cover through at the back of the pen, flushing in ones and twos some good birds came from here, most of them over my mate Mosh. Lunch time, after lunch we headed for the tree side of the piggeries, there was some good sporting birds came out of here and someone ( Hugo’s dad) shot my black hen ? next it was “roadside” not much in here but a couple downed, finished the day with “forestry pen” loads of birds but a few didn’t want to fly or came out low. All in all a cracking first day, 68 shot, so I’ll sleep a little better tonight ?

1A53598D-D6C1-4383-9BA2-F03D467C69CE.jpeg

50D7112C-5301-4F6C-8F25-DA1F5479F76A.jpeg

71033D22-93D5-454B-9A5E-29A95209335F.jpeg

7547346D-7315-4F86-B3CD-4FB9FFE5E7BE.jpeg

217F80A4-A36F-47FD-AB94-1CA2E23B741F.jpeg

• Like 8

Nice write up Stavross. Looks like you had a great day . Can I come up just for elevens’es ? 
            Shame about the dark hen bird . I had one like that , I called her Hazel. I will never forget seeing her lifeless form hanging , braced up on the game cart . I never allowed myself to single another bird out again . 
       I’ve been very busy loading. It’s going alright so far. It looks like we have bird flu here , so we will see what happens. 

• Like 1