The Unintended Keeper ( Diary of a keeping blagger )

Stav, I refuse to believe you only just realized people are idiots. I realised that decades ago, even before mongbook and WhatsApp!

Its the reason I go out of my way to avoid speaking to them because you just know they gonna lie or say something stupid and then you gotta go along with their lies or act as stupid as they already are.

• Like 3

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well that’s it for another season  last Saturday was game shooting at its best, lovely clear day, freezing cold and just syndicate members shooting ( and my mate Mosh, but he’s with me, so that’s

Well thank you SL. I have just completed my suspension and read the above posts.  Going forward I will not make any more negative comments and hopefully get this section back to the way it u

So. I’ve decided to start a new thread for the 22/23 season up at the shoot now as you know I’ve been involved with my shoot for a long time ( 15 years or so ) my intention when I joined was to s

Posted Images

2 hours ago, David.evans said:

Stav 

are these photos off your phone mate 

and how much bounty would you put on the bird , I presume that there a bit rare 

atb 

Yeah, I take them on a iPhone the missus gave me, I don’t know what model, it’s a red one 

I’m thinking 20 quid for the black cock, just a bit of daftness and an excuse to walk around the shoot shouting “ has anyone seen my black cock “ ? they are not common but you do see them now and then, they are a good bit smaller than the cock birds, more the size of a hen, there’s a place down the road from us that used to release a few of them and use them in the same way people did with white pheasants to see where their birds were, maybe it’s come from there

Edited by Stavross
  • Like 2

We used to release some white pheasants and have had some black or melanistic ones too . I used to release the white birds and there was a donation to the air ambulance charity if they shot one (£50) . But they didn’t want too shoot them , either because they didn’t fly very well or they were too tight to part with the donation. Whatever the reason? We decided that if it flew over them and they didn’t shoot it then they paid the fine , but if they did drop it then everyone else chipped in . That seemed to be the best way . 

• Like 1
Just now, shovel leaner said:

We used to release some white pheasants and have had some black or melanistic ones too . I used to release the white birds and there was a donation to the air ambulance charity if they shot one (£50) . But they didn’t want too shoot them , either because they didn’t fly very well or they were too tight to part with the donation. Whatever the reason? We decided that if it flew over them and they didn’t shoot it then they paid the fine , but if they did drop it then everyone else chipped in . That seemed to be the best way . 

We had the white ones too , strange as you say that they are rubbish at flying ?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

A couple of years ago we gathered a few up and one of the young lads hatched about 20, we ringed them and release them in the old valley pen, a good way from where we shoot now, there was a 20 quid fine to be paid to young joe if you downed one, one day there was 3 shot and he won the sweep, went home with more money in his pocket than anyone else, it showed how far they will wander because they were released far for where they were shot, I think there was 4 shot out of the 20 or so that were released 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Stavross said:

A couple of years ago we gathered a few up and one of the young lads hatched about 20, we ringed them and release them in the old valley pen, a good way from where we shoot now, there was a 20 quid fine to be paid to young joe if you downed one, one day there was 3 shot and he won the sweep, went home with more money in his pocket than anyone else, it showed how far they will wander because they were released far for where they were shot, I think there was 4 shot out of the 20 or so that were released 

Nearly every shoot round here has a few specials thrown in the mix, there’s a few lads do weird and wonderful breeds round this way.. some cost a fortune? got the nod last week the rats are back but from what I saw last year was it’s hedgehogs as well that are smashing the eggs up.. there’s a fox frying electric setup that keeps them at bay and keeps me on me toes?

12739ED2-348C-46E4-9215-8192215B89DF.jpeg.78d320b7360d6de2e8b412c5dda47973.jpeg

• Like 3
2 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Speaking of black pheasants Stav , I've just been for a wander and saw a jet black cock bird .

Hopefully catch up with him next week ?

The season’s soon come around 

catch him up, I’ll put him with the one up the shoot and I’ll go half’s with you on the fine ?

Well it turns out that the flying chickens love the fresh drilling’s who’d of thought it, not only my birds but next doors too, there was easily 200 of their birds up at the farm, they are wandering further but I’d prefer them to head over the piggeries instead of mixing with next doors, but they will do what they will do and as I can’t be there all the time I’ll just have to accept it 

anyway, I’ve now got myself a little helper, a lad from the shoot has asked if he can help out with the birds and come out with me so he can get some rifle experience because he wants to put in for his FAC, he’s a good lad so I think we’ll rub along just fine ?

54F021F8-12A0-442C-8AF7-60159BB78542.jpeg

C0FAB716-876B-4E4E-9FFD-FBF1780D8430.jpeg

C4F90D1C-62EB-46E8-B445-11767215071A.jpeg

822A60B0-4FB4-41A4-9BA4-BDF877FAD767.jpeg

• Like 6
10 hours ago, Stavross said:

Well it turns out that the flying chickens love the fresh drilling’s who’d of thought it, not only my birds but next doors too, there was easily 200 of their birds up at the farm, they are wandering further but I’d prefer them to head over the piggeries instead of mixing with next doors, but they will do what they will do and as I can’t be there all the time I’ll just have to accept it 

anyway, I’ve now got myself a little helper, a lad from the shoot has asked if he can help out with the birds and come out with me so he can get some rifle experience because he wants to put in for his FAC, he’s a good lad so I think we’ll rub along just fine ?

54F021F8-12A0-442C-8AF7-60159BB78542.jpeg

C0FAB716-876B-4E4E-9FFD-FBF1780D8430.jpeg

C4F90D1C-62EB-46E8-B445-11767215071A.jpeg

822A60B0-4FB4-41A4-9BA4-BDF877FAD767.jpeg

That’s a lovely sight . ?

• Like 1

Birds are looking good no where near shootable but hopefully in a Month should be.

busy feeding, cutting rides and also arranging a change to one drive. Hopefully should bd a good season for everyone. 

i do shoot the odd fox from time to time aswell ? 

20221001_111613.jpg

20221001_110804.jpg

20221001_111617.jpg

Edited by bumpy22
  • Like 6