The Unintended Keeper ( Diary of a keeping blagger )

18 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

You are sounding more optimistic now Stavross. ??

I’m feeling a bit better about them now, I was talking to my mate earlier and he was on about the amount of farm syndicates that haven’t got anything this year and will just be doing a day or two around Christmas, at least we have some, I just need to accept that it’s just a farm shoot but in the woods and I can’t be there all the time and can only do what I’m doing and it will be what it will be, just need to make sure there’s a few to go over my guests, I’m not bothered about the members ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well that’s it for another season  last Saturday was game shooting at its best, lovely clear day, freezing cold and just syndicate members shooting ( and my mate Mosh, but he’s with me, so that’s

Well thank you SL. I have just completed my suspension and read the above posts.  Going forward I will not make any more negative comments and hopefully get this section back to the way it u

So. I’ve decided to start a new thread for the 22/23 season up at the shoot now as you know I’ve been involved with my shoot for a long time ( 15 years or so ) my intention when I joined was to s

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Stavross said:

I’m feeling a bit better about them now, I was talking to my mate earlier and he was on about the amount of farm syndicates that haven’t got anything this year and will just be doing a day or two around Christmas, at least we have some, I just need to accept that it’s just a farm shoot but in the woods and I can’t be there all the time and can only do what I’m doing and it will be what it will be, just need to make sure there’s a few to go over my guests, I’m not bothered about the members ?

You are right about farm syndicates . My mate Tim isn’t doing his this year , and there are also a few around here that haven’t bothered . And even the bigger shoots  were struggling to get birds . Most have put some birds to wood in July , and then had to put the rest in as and when they could get them . So they have days sold in early October , but they have birds on the ground which won’t be ready till late November. They won’t be wanting dogs in the beating line and the pickers up are going to be mopping up squeakers and wet youngsters. 
          So you mustn’t beat yourself up . It’s a season like no other I can remember. But you must keep pushing yourself to do your very best , always gave it 100%. Because you are fighting Mother Nature and she doesn’t take prisoners. I think it’s probably the most challenging but ultimately most rewarding pastime there is . 
           Anyway glad it’s going well , I’m off down the bait shop in a bit . They were catching codling on the beach last night and some conger , but all I managed was some Pouting . Have fun ? 

DBD6AFA1-5EB5-4924-8F97-BEED3A8563F0.jpeg

2759A07C-2813-44E4-9548-19B0F5E9D040.jpeg

Edited by shovel leaner
  • Like 6

My mate just had his pheasants delivered this weekend so wont be shooting til November but has a healthy over spill from the Dukes estate next door ? His ducks were flying really well last week too so looking promising for him.

I have seen a few wildies knocking about on one of my farms so hopefully get a couple with Bert come the start of the season .

• Like 1

So we have worked out that they love a wander in the sunshine, I pulled up in the back yard and there was bloody loads on the stubble, so the first mission was to get the bike out and run round to the bottom of the field, I took the bike out wide around them and they all headed to the wood/tip drive, I then took the bike back to the bottom of the field and preceded to walk the edge of the wood and push between 70 and 90 birds into the beast field, these then set off up the fence towards the pen, while I was walking the wood I could hear quite a few in it so I went out into the field and back to the bottom, dropped into the wood on the deer track and slowly walked up again, by the time I got to the tip and back out in the field there looked to be the same amount as the first go but this time, much more of a mixed bag of ages, they too hopped the fence and followed the others towards Gordon’s pen. That job done I headed for the oak wood, next doors birds have found the feeder there was about 20 or so around it and there was loads bobbing about in the rape. A quick bomb to the pens to top the feeders up and then over to the piggeries where there was a small group having a last feed before roost, everything was looking good so I thought I’ll have a run to the bottom ( tree side ) to check the deer traffic, this is where it all went wrong, I came a little to close to the edge of the gutter and I managed to roll the quad into the gutter and into a big pile of stinging nettles, that’s a bloody heavy thing to have on top of you when you are out on your own, my arm still feels like it’s on fire ? just as I managed to get the bike off me and out the gutter my phone rang, it was one of the members who walks in for me, so I reloaded the quad and headed to Gordon’s pen where we watched to see what came in, by the time it got to 7pm they were coming in from all angles, which I was very happy to see ?

0646077F-1072-4DBE-A450-7331A9D7DC02.jpeg

AE8708A4-4FEF-4A6F-8001-DEB060F0A7BB.jpeg

F7FC8B0C-5839-4AC5-A622-C62E0E1101B4.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 2

I've had it myself mate, scary when you flip one over. My old college teacher broke ribs when quad sat on him. Makes you realise, sometimes just gotta steady up a bit. I'm world's worst, always rushing through one job to race to next. But I was talking to a lad on SD that got burnt from tractor radiator exploding on him, after week's of ignoring lights... I'm trying to be more safe, for family sake. Take care mate cos there's only one of you and you'd be missed. Probably. 

Shit that was all a bit nice for me..... you probably rolled it cos your a tubby wankeř. There, that's better. 

• Haha 5
8 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Well it looks like you've plenty birds about ?

Plenty of next doors ? 

hopefully I can hang onto a few and the members get a couple of good days, 

what I really mean is I hope they hang around and the members bring guests who have a good day and feel the need to tip me well ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
37 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

I've had it myself mate, scary when you flip one over. My old college teacher broke ribs when quad sat on him. Makes you realise, sometimes just gotta steady up a bit. I'm world's worst, always rushing through one job to race to next. But I was talking to a lad on SD that got burnt from tractor radiator exploding on him, after week's of ignoring lights... I'm trying to be more safe, for family sake. Take care mate cos there's only one of you and you'd be missed. Probably. 

Shit that was all a bit nice for me..... you probably rolled it cos your a tubby wankeř. There, that's better. 

I’m worth more dead than alive, she’d probably only miss me until the cheque arrived ?☹️

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, FLATTOP said:

Brilliant read Stav there’s a book here mate and in the previous thread back up the shoot, good luck for the season but I don’t think you will need it ?

More like a pamphlet really ?

Nah joking mate ,always a good read about getting out and being there .

• Haha 1

Dangerous things them quads.. funniest thing I’ve seen was some hill billy up on the moors years ago doing trace element dropppin on the grass, I was repairing a wall at time!

he worked it out he had to go so many mph to deliver the right amount… the land was steep as f and rolled every way imaginable… that was over twenty years ago and I can still hear him screaming when I think about it?

least you dint break any bones stav?

• Haha 2