The Unintended Keeper ( Diary of a keeping blagger )

It would of been a 10 minute walk to go and get it and I thought I’d rather go back to the car and go home for 4 hours sleep, I’d never normally leave them and if I’m out looking for them on a shooting adventure I’d definitely want to get it for a picture, but the way I feel at the minute I’d rather they just weren’t there, I’ve just pulled up in the yard again now and to be honest I can’t be arsed ☹️

• Like 1

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well that’s it for another season  last Saturday was game shooting at its best, lovely clear day, freezing cold and just syndicate members shooting ( and my mate Mosh, but he’s with me, so that’s

Well thank you SL. I have just completed my suspension and read the above posts.  Going forward I will not make any more negative comments and hopefully get this section back to the way it u

So. I’ve decided to start a new thread for the 22/23 season up at the shoot now as you know I’ve been involved with my shoot for a long time ( 15 years or so ) my intention when I joined was to s

Posted Images

27 minutes ago, Stavross said:

It would of been a 10 minute walk to go and get it and I thought I’d rather go back to the car and go home for 4 hours sleep, I’d never normally leave them and if I’m out looking for them on a shooting adventure I’d definitely want to get it for a picture, but the way I feel at the minute I’d rather they just weren’t there, I’ve just pulled up in the yard again now and to be honest I can’t be arsed ☹️

The novelty of taking pics of dead stuff will wear off when you do it as a job. As your finding mate keep up the good work. 

My birds are being hit hard by buzzard at the moment which is causing a lot of grief. 

Good luck for coming season

Edited by bumpy22
  • Like 1

Stav, it gets tough sometimes.

Them buzzards are buzzing them poults, guarantee it. I'm sick of them. I dread to think how many young birds have been picked of this year by them and not just game birds.

Larks and curlew, lapwings and pipets.

Stav. You can only do what you can. Don't beat yourself up lad.

Forget what critics say, your your own boss there.

• Like 4

It's all temporary mate, every low & every high, its just a temporary transition to next high or low. Soon pass, you'll be onto a more positive side of it. You know this. Give us a ? if you want to let off steam, I'm good at pretending to listen!! ?

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

It's all temporary mate, every low & every high, its just a temporary transition to next high or low. Soon pass, you'll be onto a more positive side of it. You know this. Give us a ? if you want to let off steam, I'm good at pretending to listen!! ?

Ever considered working for the Samaritans?

Last time I used them I'm sure I heard them put the phone down!!

• Haha 2

Well I’m back home now, I walked a fair few back into the cover at the back of the pen so hopefully they’ll go to the pen with their mates for a bit of munch and a sleep in a tree, I had a look over the piggeries where I’ve been baiting but it wasn’t long before the thunder rolled in and I had to spend half an hour sat in the old brick shed over there in the dark ? so no fox tonight, I did see my little group of fallow with the prickett in tow so I might treat myself to a pleasurable walk out on Sunday and have a couple of hours not thinking about these little idiots, I really don’t want to let the members down after the season they had last year but I think they are just going to have to accept that although they might get a bit of shooting, the birds went in to late, we got 300 less than normal and he’s give us what he had left and there’s definitely some older than others, at least we’ll have go elevenses ??

• Like 4
On 05/09/2022 at 15:30, Stavross said:

Well, I was back there at sparrow fart today as the birds at Gordon’s pen are giving me sleepless nights, I had visions of getting to the pen and it been empty, but when I got there I was surprised how many were actually in the pen, I put 300 in this one and I’d of said there was easily over 200 in the pen and a good number around it in the brambles, so hopefully they know now where they live, the birds in general look really well, I’ve had one dead in the pen and  a idiot that got itself stuck in the top of the fence, so them two have become fox bait over the far side, I’m starting to get a few of next doors coming into the bottom of the field at the back of the farm, so they are welcome to stay and maybe take up residence in the oak wood drive ?so I’m feeling a bit better now everything seems to have settled down a bit and if all else fails I’ve started the first batch of the shoots bramble gin, so a few French bramble 75’s in them and they won’t be bothered about the shooting ??

B666F8E0-FE71-4BA5-92C6-516286EDB9A0.jpeg

61CB2790-E6B7-4425-831A-E35A50E35BAF.jpeg

8B87B681-6552-4CC8-9F87-46EB623E2C76.jpeg

06CF3D6F-95F8-47D0-AA8E-B179AEBF75DB.jpeg

What do you do with the gin Stav? just bung blackberries in it?

6 hours ago, ianm said:

What do you do with the gin Stav? just bung blackberries in it?

Between 500g and 750g of brambles, 150g of sugar and a cheap bottle of gin, leave it in the jar for at least 6 weeks then strain it through a Muslim, it’s miles nicer than sloe gin ?

or strain through a muslin, it’s up to you ?

Edited by Stavross
Predictive text ?
  • Haha 3
41 minutes ago, Stavross said:

Between 500g and 750g of brambles, 150g of sugar and a cheap bottle of gin, leave it in the jar for at least 6 weeks then strain it through a Muslim, it’s miles nicer than sloe gin ?

I’ve done the same with vodka instead of gin , but my favourite hip flask tipple is whiskey and Drambuie . ??

1 hour ago, Stavross said:

For a hint of curry ....

• Haha 3
13 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

The novelty of taking pics of dead stuff will wear off when you do it as a job. As your finding mate keep up the good work. 

My birds are being hit hard by buzzard at the moment which is causing a lot of grief. 

Good luck for coming season

Cheers ? it’s definitely not been the start I wanted, I think I was spoiled last season, I had no real problems at all, this morning I’d of been better with a boat than the quad, everything is hid in deep cover, oh, and I’ve got 2 drinkers that have stopped working in the forestry pen so I’ve had to put some poultry drinkers in until I can work out why they are air locking

fingers crossed them buzzards get sick of pheasant for tea ??

• Sad 1