Had a go at making lead ammo for the first time. Found it quite therapeutic till I burned my toe with hot lead, saying that I did have flip flops and shorts on lol. I just struggled to get the melting pot doing a nice pour, it didn't seem to flow that clever. Saying that I've never used one before so I don't really know. I made some 9mm to try, what is everybody else's go to lead shot size ? I may get one of them Lee 2 shot molds in 10mm or possible 11mm but they may require very heavy flat bands to shoot them. Also any tips for finishing the balls when cast ?? I just snipped with tiny electrical pliers then and sharp point gently crushed with pliers. Cheers 

20220828_160801.jpg

20220828_155922.jpg

20220828_152346.jpg

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Leo Sayer said:

Had a go at making lead ammo for the first time. Found it quite therapeutic till I burned my toe with hot lead, saying that I did have flip flops and shorts on lol. I just struggled to get the melting pot doing a nice pour, it didn't seem to flow that clever. Saying that I've never used one before so I don't really know. I made some 9mm to try, what is everybody else's go to lead shot size ? I may get one of them Lee 2 shot molds in 10mm or possible 11mm but they may require very heavy flat bands to shoot them. Also any tips for finishing the balls when cast ?? I just snipped with tiny electrical pliers then and sharp point gently crushed with pliers. Cheers 

20220828_160801.jpg

20220828_155922.jpg

20220828_152346.jpg

I use 9mm lead balls ?

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

where did you get the mould??? I've got a good 60/70kgs of old lead off cuts and some old water pipe, I've been saving from jobs...buying stainless is costing me a small fortune with the kids,just ordered another 1000???

Bought second hand of a geezer on FB, got some moulds and a melting pot, just currently in my garage trying my best to scar myself for life lol. 

• Haha 1

Bought a job lot of ammo making gear and in it was a 8×11mm Bean mould, just made a couple now pissin about in garage. They like metal tictacs lol, be interesting to see what they sling like. Roll on the pheasant season 

20220829_112831.jpg

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

Seen my mate making them with the same mould though he was melting the lead in an old steel cooking pot over a stove he has in his brick built shed always fancied having a go myself but i have no access to scrap lead.

Yeah I just fancied ago myself, also to see what they shoot like. I made some 9mm yesterday and shot a pigeon this morning and dropped well. I just bought a job lot and thought I'd give it a go. I think you just got keep your eyes peeled for the scrap lead, I actually found an old bag of pellets in garage from years ago, proper cheap ones. And since I no longer keep guns I melted them. Will still use steel for targets and save lead for quarry. 

• Like 2

I have a 10mm and a 11x8 baby bean mold - well done on that score, i think they're quite rare.

I just use flush cutters to snip them and then put them in a can and give them a good shake/tumble and they smooth themselves off.

I trade grey squirrel tails with my local fly fishing shop for scrap lead so always have plenty ?

been a bit lazy this year haven't done much casting will need to get an afternoon on it for pheasant season coming up

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ger2020 said:

I have a 10mm and a 11x8 baby bean mold - well done on that score, i think they're quite rare.

I just use flush cutters to snip them and then put them in a can and give them a good shake/tumble and they smooth themselves off.

I trade grey squirrel tails with my local fly fishing shop for scrap lead so always have plenty ?

been a bit lazy this year haven't done much casting will need to get an afternoon on it for pheasant season coming up

Thanks will try rattling them in a can. Yeah apparently the bean moulds are rare, how do you rate them firing them and quarry wise ? Cheers 

I have always used 12mm lead, my mould do 8 at a time and I do the same as you by snipping off the excess then put them all into an empty 2litre plastic pop bottle and give them a bloody good shake, no need to then crush any bits with pliers . I melt my lead outside on a camping stove and use an old heavy cast iron milk saucepan,  this keeps the heat well. Don't forget to warm your mould first. I use tube elastic which fire these well. Heavy draw but what I was brought up using

• Like 4
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 06/09/2022 at 22:03, Troutslayer said:

I use a lee mould from henry kranks, also a melting pot from them which was money well spent...no more pissing bout with gas. Cutter on the mould bang on and makes them perfectly round

Screenshot_20220906-220243_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220906-220232_Gallery.jpg

Good going cheap enough are sea fishing leads if you can't get scrap metal. I don't live far from scrap yard and have a pal who works down there. So may have a look into buying a second hand electric pot or a cast iron pot to put on a camping stove. 

• Like 1