• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a true story that very well may give reason why the Red deer in the forest are some of the best in the UK, a farm in the village i live in once had it's own deer  herd and pack of hounds to hun

Don’t think the dry summer would of helped numbers this year. Seen an increase around here since badger cull 

Think its not so many left mate. Badger protection has not been good for the Hedgehog population. Sad and short-sighted legislation has led to more than infringements of country sports

Posted Images

37 minutes ago, low plains drifter said:

Does Thetford forest have all six species of deer mate?

I'm not sure about sika or cwd but i know cwd are right on the boundries as i have permission there, but someone better informed might be able to tell us as i'm hardly in or around the Forest as such these days as i don't have a lurcher any more...

15 hours ago, si brown said:

Them spikey little fcukers have a lot to answer for?

My grandad loved a hotchi and he'd go looking for them as spring was turning to summer as he said that was best time to eat them ,he used to try get us kids to have a taste but we never did.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, fireman said:

I heard they were thinking of taking away the seasons as such and having a open season on everything just to put a dent in the numbers of deer which there are more deer now in our countryside than at any other time in history, fecking things are a pain around me and i have had 2 local farmers ask me to get rid of all of them this last 2 weeks as there wrecking the hedgerows due to there not being decent grazing for them due to the hot weather..Maybe it's time to think about getting a big lurcher again with all the big game about..mmmm :hmm::hmm:....

A big deerhound x sal bull come in handy 

• Like 2

I don’t think numbers are any higher than normal it’s just the crops are down an everything is moving about this time of year looking for spots to chill out an decent food so roads have to be crossed that’s why they end up on the road as casualties. I see hedge hogs about around the village at night but when I lived in my old town I’d go years without seeing one about I never used to see them when out on the lamp but all our old land had an still has high numbers of badgers about so never going to be good for hedgehogs plus being arible land the amount of pesticides sprayed about an pesticide to kill the crop off they ain’t got a chance. 

4 hours ago, poxon said:

I don’t think numbers are any higher than normal it’s just the crops are down an everything is moving about this time of year looking for spots to chill out an decent food so roads have to be crossed that’s why they end up on the road as casualties. I see hedge hogs about around the village at night but when I lived in my old town I’d go years without seeing one about I never used to see them when out on the lamp but all our old land had an still has high numbers of badgers about so never going to be good for hedgehogs plus being arible land the amount of pesticides sprayed about an pesticide to kill the crop off they ain’t got a chance. 

Would think the slug pellets they put on would do more damage then the chemicals nowadays. 

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Gypsydog94 said:

Would think the slug pellets they put on would do more damage then the chemicals nowadays. 

Possibly mate who knows it’s all a vicious cycle I know most common gardening grade slug pellets are a organic type now days 

10 minutes ago, poxon said:

Possibly mate who knows it’s all a vicious cycle I know most common gardening grade slug pellets are a organic type now days 

The old slug pellets containing metaldehyde became illegal this year I think? 

10 hours ago, low plains drifter said:

Does Thetford forest have all six species of deer mate?

Never seen sika there mate but I’ve seen red , fallow , roe , Munties and chinkies there . 

Great seeing the little b*****ds hurtling about in the mist there or in the roadside at dusk . Roe will come right into the town . 

• Like 1

Anyone that does any regular driving on M18, M180 or M62 East Side will know the numbers of deer around. They are dangerous levels now. Out all hours not just dark.

These things cause pile ups on motorway and a lot of damage to any motor possible desth to driver, yet as said above lads that wanna catch 1 or 2 will be locked up.?‍♂️

6 hours ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Never seen sika there mate but I’ve seen red , fallow , roe , Munties and chinkies there . 

Great seeing the little b*****ds hurtling about in the mist there or in the roadside at dusk . Roe will come right into the town . 

Part of the reason I fell in love with Norfolk.  Lovely place