Y'all and dogs

1 hour ago, Wolfdog91 said:

You know we have clubs for that down here right lol. Plenty of deer runners. You make it over here I'll try and hook you up....o but your dogs might need some kevlar cut vests

You learn something every day , I’ve never seen any mention of Deer ran by sight hounds in any us publications or by   Yank lads online . 

Interesting to know . 

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Man idk what's with you honestly. Yes is polar opposite hence why I'm curious and asking I'm trying to expand my knowledge my guy.  So yes I will show my confusion I will say what think. That's how yo

There’s nothing wrong with wanting the best of things imho mate, I like good kit for anything I do and that extended to not wanting an absolute article at the end of a slip (and believe me, I have had

By far and large yes. But equally that type know f**k all about breeding really, and their interest in blood is superficial, beginning and ending with a bit of paper with some red on it. The lads that

Posted Images

1 hour ago, bird said:

That's it  mate,  most on here just think of his size. And I be the same true,  but the dog done more,  and caught  more than any  of my other lurchers  in 36 years I've kept lurchers. That why  spoke of his size,  he made it look piss easy picking  rabbits up. But he old now  mate,   10  maybe  couple years he be gone.  He struggled  in heat  like every dog as. 

The dogs an icon in here pal . It’s been a pleasure reading about him over the years and I imagine you’ve been pleased with his exploits ??

Wish you many more days in the sun with the big lad together ray mate 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

You learn something every day , I’ve never seen any mention of Deer ran by sight hounds in any us publications or by   Yank lads online . 

Interesting to know . 

When you say sight hounds ? Do you mean like you set them up where they visually see the deer then set them off on them. ? If so I honestly can't think of many place where you could do that effectively, Well a least down here in the mid west mabye I know do it with coyote. Just drive down the road till they jump one the let the dogs out the box, actually think a lot of just will stop for a hot second and let the dogs just out the back.

10 hours ago, comanche said:

We have or had lots of different local types of dog .  Seemingly every other town ,village or big country estate  kept a strain of working dogs. That might've  been terriers for  ratting , badger hunting or  fox digging. Dogs for fighting ,baiting or racing.  Or maybe a local type of hare,otter or fox hound or harrier. Even before landed gentry developed  gun dogs specific to  their needs, there were older breeds for hawking and hunting boar , wolves and deer . Even huge hounds and war dogs that impressed even the Romans. 

Its a fallacy that only our British upper classes are inbreds. People of more mundane breeding often didn't  travel much. Nor did there dogs. 

Close breeding  in  a parocial environment produced  strains that developed enough  standardised characteristics within specific areas to be considered breeds apart. Many of these breeds were  similar  but for adaptations to local terrain or hunting styles. Pretty much all of em were considered by their owners to be superior to similar dogs bred by the "foreigners" in the next County .

All that's  before farmers' and drovers' dog get a mention. There were lots of regional versions of these too. Though the sometime transient nature of yheir work probably gave them more chance to share their love further  than the average village ratter. 

We had lots of little towns and a really rubbish transport infrastructure so we had lots of dog breeds .

No wonder  us Brits have an inbred affinity with the little sods. 

Your full of info as you my friend. Would love to sit down and have conversation with you in person if I ever get out your way

12 hours ago, Astanley said:

To be fair Wolfy your opening post was a bit random ,making a couple of observations and then saying "what's with that " doesn't really constitute a coherent question .x

Hay can I say I tried ??

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, jukel123 said:

What dogs you got now Wilf? You had spaniels at one time didn't you, and a deerhoundy lurcher bred by Mik?

Never had spaniels mate, me and a spaniel wouldn’t get on.

f****d about with a few working types since I have been here but it was more out of habit than reality, I was just kidding myself on, there’s no proper work for them. 

I don’t have any proper dogs now, got a farm collie mongrel thing that someone dumped on the lane as a puppy 5 years ago and a mongrel whippet/lab cross that I bought for €30 for my little boy…..that’s it.

Complete and utter waste of time having a proper dog here. 

Never had a deerhound off Mik, I had a saluki bull grey who I bought over with me but the poor f****r was going mental with nothing to do and leathering Billy goats…..wasn’t fair to him so he has a nice spot out the back.

That done me in.

I won’t ever own a lurcher again.

BA529429-C2C6-4C1E-A06E-4C24488924C0.jpeg.885bac50955624ceeb7f80d3a42ff9b6.jpeg

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Wolfdog91 said:

Man idk what's with you honestly. Yes is polar opposite hence why I'm curious and asking I'm trying to expand my knowledge my guy.  So yes I will show my confusion I will say what think. That's how you learn and grow as a person ? Guess I should apologize for not being as well educated or whatever on these matters but this is why I ask questions.  I mean hell if one of you guys hopped onto trapperman and started asking questions about what we do I'd 100% expect the same. ( Btw you guys have open invite to join our forum if your like a change of pace don't have to stay in the international forum we'd enjoy the new blood ).

And dude dogs are nothing less then family ( hell kids to a point) to most hounds men and own over here just because we don't do things 100% the same way doesn't mean we don't value our animals. Yeah there people who see them and nothing less then tools but their the minority honestly.

Also you don't have to constantly keep hoping on my posts if I'm so bad you know, because seems you wanna just turn everything into a pissing match and complain about Americans. I mean I get Evey now and then for shits and giggles but it's just constant with you. 

But yeah heres your cookie? you win whatever.I'm done it's not even funny at this point 

God Bless ya .

You posted the other day that you had been told that you don't understand more times than you can count. But you don't accept that. You can't see the other guy's point of view. A couple of weeks ago someone said that your  jokes weren't funny and went on to explain why American humour is different to American humour. Your response was to post even more unfunny posts and make out that it is us that are wrong, not you. When I first contacfed you over a year ago I suggested that you at least attempt to write in English English not as though you were talking to Hank outta State. You didn't see the need.

I have seen this before. Yanks come onto a British fishing forum claiming that they want to get to know more about British methods and then just post about what they do over there using American slang and terminology that we don't understand. When I post on a French fishing forum I write in French and use the same common terms that they use; bream are plates and platelettes, not slabs and skimmers for example. That shows respect. I don't understand pole fishing so I don't comment on it even when asked by French anglers about English pole methods. I just say that I don't know anything about it. When they post pictures of fish laid on dry grass or roach taken for the pot I don't preach the English conservation ideals because it isn't my place.

Now, I don't suppose that you will get any of that. But the regulars on here will at least see where I'm coming from.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, jukel123 said:

'Protection' dogs sell for megabucks. Even 'guard' dogs trained by professional suppliers fetch enormous prices.

If I was younger I wouldn't mind entering the business. Seems easy money to me. All you need is a Web site, decent premises and a brass neck to ask big money for your dogs.

There is still a big market for them. A lot of the dealers are wrong side of the tracks. We used to buy some dogs from a firm called CPS in north London. They had the dog warden contracts for a lot of London boroughs and so has an endless supply of strays that they grade and then sell on. I went down one day to buy a GSD and they had around 20 to choose from. All schite. They brought them into a piece of spare ground one by one. First I threw a ball into long grass. Any that showed no interest were rejected. Those that at least searched for the ball were then taken to the edge of the area while I wound them up. Then they were released and I pressured them. If they came forward and grabbed the sleeve I peeled their gums back to check the teeth for signs of age. None passed the three tests yet they would go to the army or private protection srrvices for a grand each. And that was 2005. 

Its good money for old rope. But if you can cut the schite and turn out good protection dogs you could earn £5000 per dog.

1 hour ago, Nicepix said:

You posted the other day that you had been told that you don't understand more times than you can count. But you don't accept that. You can't see the other guy's point of view. A couple of weeks ago someone said that your  jokes weren't funny and went on to explain why American humour is different to American humour. Your response was to post even more unfunny posts and make out that it is us that are wrong, not you. When I first contacfed you over a year ago I suggested that you at least attempt to write in English English not as though you were talking to Hank outta State. You didn't see the need.

I have seen this before. Yanks come onto a British fishing forum claiming that they want to get to know more about British methods and then just post about what they do over there using American slang and terminology that we don't understand. When I post on a French fishing forum I write in French and use the same common terms that they use; bream are plates and platelettes, not slabs and skimmers for example. That shows respect. I don't understand pole fishing so I don't comment on it even when asked by French anglers about English pole methods. I just say that I don't know anything about it. When they post pictures of fish laid on dry grass or roach taken for the pot I don't preach the English conservation ideals because it isn't my place.

Now, I don't suppose that you will get any of that. But the regulars on here will at least see where I'm coming from.

Lol... whoa... are you still in the police because you sound like a right arrogant man... the man is asking a few questions...who cares if he writes American slang ffs... I write Derry slang when I write... and do you even keep dogs or have you ever...probably more into arresting dog men ...the man posts more hunting oriented and trapping  content ...what you think your a mole trapper that your some kind of knowledgeable man..lol.. mole trapping..give me strength...

As for your question wolfy...

There's men answering your questions that don't even hunt or keep a dog...never had the stuff or the know how to even breed a litter... the men who obsess about there dogs and there heritage or lineage...have probably spent a lifetime  building what they have... terriermen, gundog men or running dog men... there aim is too replicate or better there said line... and the difference between them is most take the easy route...buy a dog from a line and just churn out mediocre shite saying its from this or that and think there work is done... take no notice of some of the replys...?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh give over, what “qualifies” someone to offer an answer to the blokes question ?…..do we have to show our credentials at the door or something ?, f**k off like.

Most traveller boys will have forgot more about dogs than most of these snooty “kept a line for 50 years” types will ever know.

The bloke got decent answers to his question which even my 9 year old could understand, he isn’t a victim ! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Bucker said:

Let's be honest, the vast majority of so called dog men obsess over breeds, lines and pedigrees as a means to get an ego boost and win a dick measuring competition.

Most will by in a well bred dog and never give it the work it deserves and breed it merely for reputation and money.

To the proper diehards though, bloodline is everything and rightly so, these are the only people that deserve to be called dog men.

Now you have lit the blue touch paper ! Lol ? 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Wolfdog91 said:

Your full of info as you my friend. Would love to sit down and have conversation with you in person if I ever get out your way

That's  good of you to say. I  expect you have just as many local breeds or more over there.  And from some of what l've read the obsession with bloodlines from certain sources in the US  is at least as pronounced as it is over here. 

Don't  know if you have any sort of doggy folklore over there ,  but tales of fairy dogs   , Black Dogs, Hairy Hounds ,Gelert and many more are a historical part of our culture too. 

Again l've read that while some of your native people considered dog meat a delicacy other tribes avoided harming dogs and wolves because they considered them  relatives .

This is very similar to the beliefs  of people in the English town of Ipswich . Church records indicate that until 100 years ago it was not unknown for an Ipswich man to marry his dog.  Of course this was only permissible if he had no sisters available.....

I might've made that last bit up ?????

Edited by comanche
  • Haha 5