Jury service

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you dont want to do it send a letter thanking them for choosing you as you have waited your whole life to exact revenge on drug dealers, shoplifters, blacks, muslims etc etc. You will get a letter

Do you know what, I’d f***ing loathe having to do that…..my old woman is all like “oh, that would be good” in typical woman fashion to get all the tasty tit bits. Me, I’d dread it…..I just couldn

My brother did jury duty years ago, a very old man was charged with shoplifting, he had walked out of a supermarket with a packet of bacon. As the jury deliberated , my brother said he would neve

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

My brother did jury duty years ago, a very old man was charged with shoplifting, he had walked out of a supermarket with a packet of bacon.

As the jury deliberated , my brother said he would never find the old boy guilty. He said the old chap may have just forgot he had the bacon, or he may have been desperate for something to eat, and either way, why should 12 people take days off work for the price of a packet of bacon ? 

Common sense prevailed, the old chap was found not guilty......what a waste of time and money.

Cheers.

I've been up before a jury several times. Total waste of a lot of people's time and the tax payer's money. It does give an insight into what is wrong with the criminal justice system.

18 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

My brother did jury duty years ago, a very old man was charged with shoplifting, he had walked out of a supermarket with a packet of bacon.

As the jury deliberated , my brother said he would never find the old boy guilty. He said the old chap may have just forgot he had the bacon, or he may have been desperate for something to eat, and either way, why should 12 people take days off work for the price of a packet of bacon ? 

Common sense prevailed, the old chap was found not guilty......what a waste of time and money.

Cheers.

Shop lifting wouldn't be tried in a crown court. 

Go and do the jury service. I know some of you who have had run ins with the law will obviously disagree.....but the jury system and the magistrate system is fantastic thing where people are given an opportunity to describe to people just like them their side of the story. Go and play your part, you might be the intelligent and life experienced one who leads the jury in the direction of the correct outcome. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I've been called a couple of times. I've never fancied it, I just don't want to know. I don't want to sit in judgement on anybody. I would, out of principle, find the accused not guilty unless it was a really evil crime or he supported  West Ham or Leeds.

I've been called for jury service twice but been excused twice. Just go to your doctor ( if they exist these days) and tell him or her you have a dodgy prostate/ bladder and could not sit throughout the trial without peeing every half hour thus missing evidence and  disturbing the courtroom. He/ she will write a letter  to the court and get you off.?.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
8 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

Go and do the jury service. I know some of you who have had run ins with the law will obviously disagree.....but the jury system and the magistrate system is fantastic thing where people are given an opportunity to describe to people just like them their side of the story. Go and play your part, you might be the intelligent and life experienced one who leads the jury in the direction of the correct outcome. 

I can totally agree with that and I’m not knocking the jury system at all, it’s just I wouldn’t want to do it mate.

My old man always used to say “If there’s a hatchet faced old lady on the jury, you’re f****d !” Lol ? 

12 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

It is every defendant's right to be tried by jury. Shoplifting usually gets heard at Magistrates, but can be referred to the Top Shop. The chances of being found not guilty by jury in some cases is lower than the Magistrate's (if you ever meet a Magistrate you will see why). But the penalties dished out by Judges will be much more severe if found guilty.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
1 minute ago, Nicepix said:

It is every defendant's right to be tried by jury. Shoplifting usually gets heard at Magistrates, but can be referred to the Top Shop. The chances of being found not guilty by jury in some cases is lower than the Magistrate's (if you ever meet a Magistrate you will see why). But the penalties dished out by Judges will be much more severe if found guilty.

I don't think it is anymore. I'm not swearing on it and I'll check but I genuinely don't think a shoplifting case could ever come before a jury at the minute.

I've met many magistrates.....like wilf has always taught us....if you aren't happy then do something to change it. Be the one with 'our' values sat on the jury or bench ?

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

I don't think it is anymore. I'm not swearing on it and I'll check but I genuinely don't think a shoplifting case could ever come before a jury at the minute.

I've met many magistrates.....like wilf has always taught us....if you aren't happy then do something to change it. Be the one with 'our' values sat on the jury or bench ?

I found Magistrates to be either utterly naive or rabid Nazis. ?

If you appeal a guilty verdict in the Magistrate's it goes up to Crown Court.

Edited by Nicepix
  • Like 1
23 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

You may not believe what I've said, that's fair enough, but I can guarantee it's true. ?

Cheers.

Just now, Nicepix said:

I found Magistrates to be either utterly naive or rabid Nazis. ?

Yeah maybe. Depends on the area I guess. Teachers always make arsehole jp's because they have never done a days work 

17 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

Depends what you lifted on what court you go and I've known lads get 18 months for few pound shop lift because they was up for other stuff so judge hit them hard ,

Be honest magistrate court is all for the police so your probably getting guilty verdict but crown its down to jury to find you guilty 

Just now, chartpolski said:

You may not believe what I've said, that's fair enough, but I can guarantee it's true. ?

Cheers.

I think it's changed ?

If he selected trail by jury in a crown court for a pack of bacon then he was costing the tax payer a huge amount just to be a nuisance I reckon.

Not doubting you but don't think it can happen now

6 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

Of course you can take a  theft of a Mars bar to crown but don't be to surprised when you get 18 Months for taking the mick ,if you looking at few months stay mag if not throw a not guilty in and hope the jury like ya 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, DIDO.1 said:

I think it's changed ?

If he selected trail by jury in a crown court for a pack of bacon then he was costing the tax payer a huge amount just to be a nuisance I reckon.

Not doubting you but don't think it can happen now

Theft is an either way offence mate, can be tried in Crown or Magistrates court 

• Like 3
Just now, bell said:

Theft is an either way offence mate, can be tried in Crown or Magistrates court 

Depends on value and your convictions and of course if you want fair trial as your not getting fair one in magistrate Court