Rhodesian ridgeback

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This feller is some detterent to unwanted guests,serious animal he is

Dog probably does an encore due to them clapping.

Great post that Walshie. What do they say? There are no bad breeds only bad owners? True, but there are bad dogs. Some are born to be nutters irrespective of the breed/type. But the "no bad breeds" th

Posted Images

3 hours ago, jigsaw said:

This feller is some detterent to unwanted guests,serious animal he is

IMG_20220817_120713.jpg

Screenshot_2022-08-17-12-22-44-196_com.miui.gallery.jpg

Screenshot_2022-08-17-12-22-50-401_com.miui.gallery.jpg

He looks it as well, there always been the hunting/hound in S/A. But the dog that always been proper guard dog is the Boerbol.  My mates got Boerbol  bitch,  that hell of a guard dog,  you deff not break in to his house,  she  a very powerful  animal  50kg, the males go to 70kg. Way to big I think,  both breeds  ridge backs,  and Boerbol's  got lots of health probs,  and both alot to buy. ?

7 hours ago, Gypsydog94 said:

Cousin had a couple. one ended up being crossed to his lurcher made handy animals. 

Back in Cumbria in the 90,s I remember some ridgeback x greyhounds or crossed lurcher. I think some of them ended up not to bad. Jeez that's some years ago, I'd forgot about them. 

• Like 2

Our post office has a old bitch and a youngish dog ( they have always had ridge backs as long as I can remember) the dog just lays behind the counter,  but as soon as they is any loud noise or aggressive consumers hes up and paws on the counter and has a very deep loud growl , I was in there ones and a foreign man was trying to send some money but she couldn't understand him properly he started getting loud and a bit pushy dog just jumped up next to her and let out a growl he soon left ( made me jump n I knew the dog was there ha ) 

• Like 1
On 16/08/2022 at 16:50, lurcherman 887 said:

Neighbours just got one f***ing howling all day, single mum 5 young kids how are they with kids ect and are they good family dog ? 

anyone had/have one 

We've owned them, singly or in pairs. and fostered them, for 30 years now. The longest we went without one in the house was about 6 or 7 months from when our last bitch died till we decided to get another. 

I've never had one that wasn't 100% reliable. Why would anyone get another one if they weren't?

The breed suits us as they're big and able enough to protect the house if required but being a hound are laid back and happy to lay around snoozing without constantly needing something to do.

They've all been rock solid around kids whether our own or friends, but anyone who left a dog of any size unsupervised around children needs their head checking.

They aren't the dog for first time owners (although obviously everyone is a first time owner once) as they need to know their boundaries and they need to be enforced each and every time the pup tests them, not just when the owner feels like it. 

I'm sure there are many "vicious" ones around through bad training or encouraging the guarding instinct, but that would apply to most breeds.

So in answer to your question, yes they are a good family dog, if the owner isn't a fud. Your neighbour sounds like a fud and a recipe for disaster.

IMG-20201116-WA0004.jpg.476db05e4fdb127d742896243b9e6af9.jpg

1 hour ago, walshie said:

We've owned them, singly or in pairs. and fostered them, for 30 years now. The longest we went without one in the house was about 6 or 7 months from when our last bitch died till we decided to get another. 

I've never had one that wasn't 100% reliable. Why would anyone get another one if they weren't?

The breed suits us as they're big and able enough to protect the house f required but being a hound are laid back and happy to lay around snoozing without constantly needing something to do.

They've all been rock solid around kids whether our own or friends, but anyone who left a dog of any size unsupervised around children needs their head checking.

They aren't the dog for first time owners (although obviously everyone is a first time owner once) as they need to know their boundaries and they need to be enforced each and every time the pup tests them, not just when the owner feels like it. 

I'm sure there are many "vicious" ones around through bad training or encouraging the guarding instinct, but that would apply to most breeds.

So in answer to your question, yes they are a good family dog, if the owner isn't a fud. Your neighbour sounds like a fud and a recipe for disaster.

????

i got bitten by  one when i went to see an old friend my mr's. she walked past it patted it on the head and said alright BOSS which was his name i was behind her and it took one look at me and launched itself at me grabbing my knee ,i was punching it in the head to try and make it let go. it ripped my leg of my jeans when it did and then latched on to my other knee and did the same the  b*****d thing the owner called it off and i jumped in the toilet in his house and slammed the door behind me and stood there  with my jeans in tatters  ,both knees bleeding ,shaking like a shitting dog and white as a ghost. never did like them dogs after that

• Sad 1
11 hours ago, walshie said:

The breed suits us as they're big and able enough to protect the house if required but being a hound are laid back and happy to lay around snoozing without constantly needing something to do.

Great post that Walshie. What do they say? There are no bad breeds only bad owners? True, but there are bad dogs. Some are born to be nutters irrespective of the breed/type. But the "no bad breeds" thing I tend to agree with. Individual animals become bad dogs, unless they are born a nutter, due to lack of knowledge, experience and common sense from the owner. Nothing to do with the "breed". The human factor.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, eastcoast said:

Great post that Walshie. What do they say? There are no bad breeds only bad owners? True, but there are bad dogs. Some are born to be nutters irrespective of the breed/type. But the "no bad breeds" thing I tend to agree with. Individual animals become bad dogs, unless they are born a nutter, due to lack of knowledge, experience and common sense from the owner. Nothing to do with the "breed". The human factor.

Dogs become c**ts when they become humanised and called stuff like fur babies 

• Like 2