Wild polcat mateing ferret

Many years ago whilst laming a golf course in Worcester, we had stopped for a fag break and to let the dog take 5. We were sat under an old oak and the dog shot forward in the dark, lamp on and it was a polecat Gill with something in her mouth, the dog was steady to our ferrets so didn't touch her but she dropped the item. It turned out to be a kit, eyes still closed. It was slipped into a pocket and taken to a pal who had a Gill with a litter, most of which she'd lost. He was brought up alongside the remainder in an open fronted large hutch, whilst all the others were inquisitive and forward he would hide in the tubes when approached. He turned into an impressive looking animal but was never something you could handle or work safely, after a year or so and as an experiment he was put to several tame and working gills, his offspring were savage beasts that would seek out human flesh with gusto ? they were complete b*****ds! 

As young adults they were kept in an aviary, if you approached the door to feed ect you would need to be on your guard and these were handled from a young age. 

A pairing that's best avoided in my experience, just too much wild instinct. 

• Like 4
24 minutes ago, Dennis up said:

Many years ago whilst laming a golf course in Worcester, we had stopped for a fag break and to let the dog take 5. We were sat under an old oak and the dog shot forward in the dark, lamp on and it was a polecat Gill with something in her mouth, the dog was steady to our ferrets so didn't touch her but she dropped the item. It turned out to be a kit, eyes still closed. It was slipped into a pocket and taken to a pal who had a Gill with a litter, most of which she'd lost. He was brought up alongside the remainder in an open fronted large hutch, whilst all the others were inquisitive and forward he would hide in the tubes when approached. He turned into an impressive looking animal but was never something you could handle or work safely, after a year or so and as an experiment he was put to several tame and working gills, his offspring were savage beasts that would seek out human flesh with gusto ? they were complete b*****ds! 

As young adults they were kept in an aviary, if you approached the door to feed ect you would need to be on your guard and these were handled from a young age. 

Brilliant mate I know I can't work out why people would do it But each to there own 

39 minutes ago, Ferretman65 said:

Brilliant mate I know I can't work out why people would do it But each to there own 

Temperament is an important factor that many breeders of animals in general overlook, they place looks and other traits higher on the list of importance. In my experience its not just physical attributes that are passed on in genes ?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Dennis up said:

Some of these so called eu and hybrids that people are breeding now that are tame as anything I would always question how genuine the wild blood was. The couple I've seen in the flesh were iffy odd behaving buggers that never settled. 

• Like 2

I did it many moons ago and it’s a waste of time and effort … you cannot work them properly until you get down to 1/8 polecat … it’s a waste of time and a waste of animals. 

• Like 4
43 minutes ago, gnipper said:

Some of these so called eu and hybrids that people are breeding now that are tame as anything I would always question how genuine the wild blood was. The couple I've seen in the flesh were iffy odd behaving buggers that never settled. 

was struggling a few years ago for enough ferrets (had a trip booked for the Highlands following season) someone I know ordered some EU polecat hybrids,I put my name down for one,cost me £40...I put my albino hob over it,had a  nice litter of 12 kits,all  poley colours ,they were wild,would hiss ,  fast as f**k and would also  nip like f**k,for the first 2 seasons they would kill every rabbit that didn't bolt?dug the one first season hob at almost 10 ft up in avimore ? little prick was giving it, in and outty with the rabbit every time I tried to grab him,while the boys laughed at me,shoot the f***ing thing,we buy you a new collar lark??...I put them back to another albino and repeated it I think 4 more times. still have a few from that line,used them in some massive places over the yrs,some of the  best workers I've owned tbf,I sorted Johnny boy a few,and a few others..everyone praised them right up.. .they are small ,but long type,and can kill a fully grown rabbit if it's stubborn and won't bolt,they stay with it,until you dig down to them...then they off onto the next?smart like a dog I swear?? 

and if you ever got a proper wild biter...use that ferret paste? always let the Mrs and kids handle them for you???20150927_155331.jpg.275b7d999e37959cb57fad83c817c4f8.jpg20150709_193029.jpg.6df7f3589f6700ec1f5c0b9b7a4912f0.jpg20150927_110619.jpg.096eb9bad246bfe98740eaa98bb90d93.jpg20150929_172402.jpg.e7f7e3bbab12f1a84c8b03ff3f83b952.jpg20150927_135437.jpg.b1038a8b6fc5f1635fea4f57fef4b04b.jpg

• Like 9
21 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

was struggling a few years ago for enough ferrets (had a trip booked for the Highlands following season) someone I know ordered some EU polecat hybrids,I put my name down for one,cost me £40...I put my albino hob over it,had a  nice litter of 12 kits,all  poley colours ,they were wild,would hiss ,  fast as f**k and would also  nip like f**k,for the first 2 seasons they would kill every rabbit that didn't bolt?dug the one first season hob at almost 10 ft up in avimore ? little prick was giving it, in and outty with the rabbit every time I tried to grab him,while the boys laughed at me,shoot the f***ing thing,we buy you a new collar lark??...I put them back to another albino and repeated it I think 4 more times. still have a few from that line,used them in some massive places over the yrs,some of the  best workers I've owned tbf,I sorted Johnny boy a few,and a few others..everyone praised them right up.. .they are small ,but long type,and can kill a fully grown rabbit if it's stubborn and won't bolt,they stay with it,until you dig down to them...then they off onto the next?smart like a dog I swear?? 

and if you ever got a proper wild biter...use that ferret paste? always let the Mrs and kids handle them for you???20150927_155331.jpg.275b7d999e37959cb57fad83c817c4f8.jpg20150709_193029.jpg.6df7f3589f6700ec1f5c0b9b7a4912f0.jpg20150927_110619.jpg.096eb9bad246bfe98740eaa98bb90d93.jpg20150929_172402.jpg.e7f7e3bbab12f1a84c8b03ff3f83b952.jpg20150927_135437.jpg.b1038a8b6fc5f1635fea4f57fef4b04b.jpg

What percentage poley were they by the time the kits weren't edgy feckers?

8 minutes ago, gnipper said:

What percentage poley were they by the time the kits weren't edgy feckers?

I'd say a 1/4 probably from memory ,like I  said,they just seemed to change after a season or 2 of handling and work,we  used to handle them daily,my Mrs and the kids infairness would have  hands in with them day after the Jill would give birth,cover a finger in that ferret paste,they only interested in that stuff,it's like ferret crack,they won't bite you?.. all bar the very first one settled down eventually,that one got mullered by a young black dog I had at the time,and I lost a few others after getting them jabbed to bring them out??

I was given one about 15 years ago or so that had been lost then living wild for a few months. He was a bit nippy at first but soon settled down and as said above long and skinny (the kids named him slinky). Cracking worker but had to be dug every time. I'd have another like him in a heartbeat.

Just now, Wideboy said:

I had a jill and a hob kit that were 1/4 wild polecat. They were wild as fook. It ended up, that they weren’t being clean out regularly because they were trying to jump at me, never mind just trying to bite my hands. It ended that I just opened the hutch door and shotgunned both of them one day. I dreaded having to even feed them. So tell him not to bother. 
Seriously, the two I had would hurt a child I reckon. 

No mate I think its madness altogether 

• Thanks 1