When dogs roamed the streets

1 hour ago, dai dogs said:

Back in the day if we wanted to go hunting we would sometimes have to go searching the streets whistling calling for your mutt ? anyone remember them days ?

We borrowed my mates brothers track dogs a lot , got his best one squashed on the a75 . 

was an awkward walk home . 

• Sad 1
23 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

We borrowed my mates brothers track dogs a lot , got his best one squashed on the a75 . 

was an awkward walk home . 

I used to walk greyhounds for a local butcher when I was about 16 I was an evil f****r ?

6 minutes ago, dai dogs said:

I used to walk greyhounds for a local butcher when I was about 16 I was an evil f****r ?

We used to lend them so we all had a dog to slip ?? on the auspices of them getting walked . 

Was a Sunday afternoon endeavour we viewed as some sort of mix of stand by me and legends of the fall. 

in reality we clowned about with ridiculously unsuited dogs and we’re a danger to ourselves more than any wildlife ??

“ I think mines faster than yours cause it’s a red one ! “ 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Yip where we grew up you could have a bobbery pack jist off a couple streets an we did most days ?

If you lived in Glasgow, that was prob me ? I used to borrow staffs, jacks, lurchers, greys, allsorts an had some great fun, all in middle of a big city ?

Did they have all the urban deer and foxes back in the olden days Katchum?

I don't remember street dogs round here when I was a kid but I remember getting the shit scared out of me by a pack of mongrels in Manchester while visiting my auntie all black and tan of all shapes and sizes.

The dog we used to borrow as a kid was a farm terrier on the moss and we took her on all the others ratting  and what a dog she was. If I'd had her as a kid I'd probably still have decendants off her now. If you said rats when she was stood near someone she'd grab them and hump them which was great fun as a kid and the person she grabbed didn't know ? 

Used to knock on asking if we could walk their dogs, then take them ratting along the rat infested river, where floating turds were a common sight. Returned them later wet through and stinking but the dogs were happy. One mongrel, Kim, used to swim over and do the opposite bank on his own. Good ratter and cat killer 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
34 minutes ago, cragman said:

Used to knock on asking if we could walk their dogs, then take them ratting along the rat infested river, where floating turds were a common sight. Returned them later wet through and stinking but the dogs were happy. One mongrel, Kim, used to swim over and do the opposite bank on his own. Good ratter and cat killer 

I had a dog called Kim, exactly the same, killed cats and rats (and a goat) ? I remember all the dogs chasing a roe deer, none of the hounds had speed, we talked about that deers escape for months, no adults understood the excitement. 

• Like 4

There was a Staff used to rule over a few streets a right nutcase he walked past my mothers house every day one day coming back from my excursions with my Lurchers it all kicked off frightened the f***ing life out of me from that day on the staff walked around the other way 

Where I grew up there was a rough end of town ,we called it Beirut but was in fact called Coleman’s farm .

The stream that ran into town from that area was always rat infested and you’d often see a small pack of dogs hunting it on their own ,no human intervention at all .I was fascinated by the sounds of the hunt and used to look for those dogs  after school .The kids there were in perpetual fight mode with the rest  of the town it seemed but I was mates with a few so left alone .One brindle staffy bitch seemed to catch everything and from memory the rest ate what she killed .

The stream wasn’t overly polluted ,had sticklebacks ,minnows and loach but people fed the ducks 24/7 and of course the rats loved it .I’ve a very vivid memory of a white fluffy dog shaking the hell out of a large rat right  by what was then the co op store in town .No one batted an eyelid .Imagine that now ???

The end of town I lived in was by a cemetery and bordered by an allotment .

Kids used to chore  the veg so a few had dogs tied up that literally hated people .Black and white things on ropes just long enough to reach the footpath and do your ankles .Those dogs would of seriously hurt a kid if they a hold for sure .

• Like 3

Used to take black powder from my mates dads shed put a bit in a rat hole and light it up or spray petrol from the garden sprayer down the hole and wait with a collection of dogs borrowed from people that were happy they were getting walked ??

• Thanks 1