Entering on fox

1 hour ago, dogmandont said:

If your dogs are bred right why would you wait till 2 years of age to show them a fox, if a lurcher that's bred right and reared right isn't ready for a look between 14 and 18 months then there's something up. 

Wrong ! Different breeds take longer to mature , it’s up to you as a own to know if you dogs immature for it’s age 

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I once Bred a terrier bitch out my best dog and bitch I had at the time...was out 2/3 times a week ,clipped up next to the digs, listening and taking it all in..every other pup from the litter was fly

Never known a dog ruined by holding it back a itte bit seen plenty ruined started to young 

Game ?   Your as game as a coursing dog ffs ? You had the chance to show your super hounds run against my ten a penny hounds once , I don’t give invites out very often and u have had your bite at the

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Sammyballer said:

Wrong ! Different breeds take longer to mature , it’s up to you as a own to know if you dogs immature for it’s age 

Im not trying to rub anyone up the wrong way Sammy but if a dog is bred for the job and has had a bit of work put into it then at anything over 18 months it's the owner that's not mentally ready to give the dog a go. Lol. 

I've seen young dogs show no interest but that's different from not giving it a look. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

Im not trying to rub anyone up the wrong way Sammy but if a dog is bred for the job and has had a bit of work put into it then at anything over 18 months it's the owner that's not mentally ready to give the dog a go. Lol. 

I've seen young dogs show no interest but that's different from not giving it a look. 

Depends doesn’t it , has the owner not showed it or the dog just wasn’t ready for the one it saw? ?‍♂️ If the owners not atleast shown it abit of something by 18 months that’s different to the dog not showing interest till then 

17 minutes ago, Sammyballer said:

Depends doesn’t it , has the owner not showed it or the dog just wasn’t ready for the one it saw? ?‍♂️ If the owners not atleast shown it abit of something by 18 months that’s different to the dog not showing interest till then 

Two different things indeed. 

Another thing is showing a young dog it's first few foxes with another dog which in my opinion is bollox and not needed if the breeding is right. 

• Like 3

Always used to let my young dogs have a little play rag on a few after a dig or if my other dog had 1 on lamp pre ban but heard people saying wouldn't let there dogs do it as not rewarding them with something they hadn't caught but I always found it gets them used to the scent and know there game and never did any of my dogs any harm.and as far as age you know when your dogs are ready as most my dogs collie/grey I used to like to wait till about 18months but had some around 14/16 months and another over 2 but seen a lads bull Cross 10months old nail 1 that got put up unexpectedly 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Councilestatekid said:

Always used to let my young dogs have a little play rag on a few after a dig or if my other dog had 1 on lamp pre ban but heard people saying wouldn't let there dogs do it as not rewarding them with something they hadn't caught but I always found it gets them used to the scent and know there game and never did any of my dogs any harm.and as far as age you know when your dogs are ready as most my dogs collie/grey I used to like to wait till about 18months but had some around 14/16 months and another over 2 but seen a lads bull Cross 10months old nail 1 that got put up unexpectedly 

Me personally I'd hold back an overly eager young dog a bit longer than I would one that's shows very little interest. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, dogmandont said:

Me personally I'd hold back an overly eager young dog a bit longer than I would one that's shows very little interest. 

Yea I think it's just knowing your dog I've seen dogs spoilt by starting to young or getting over run 2 young just let them enjoy there work and know when enough is enough can't see point anyone running em into the ground we used to put alot of gear in front of em day and night but knew when to call it a day

• Like 1
6 hours ago, keepdiggin said:

Excuse my ignorance I didn’t thing dogs had the power to kill boars mate

Neither did I, they were huge dogs, he ended up selling them as there was no sport in it for him. I've heard of the odd dogs killing big pigs if they were on them long enough but these monsters would just grab the back of the skull. This was 40 years ago, the danes and mastiffs here now are not a patch on the old dogs. I'm pretty sure he got the dogs off a guy called Doug Mummery, he used to breed first cross dogs for hunting before pig hunting became mainstream here. I remember one of these dogs broke its teeth grabbing a statue of a lion outside and Italian guys house, lol.

Edited by Aussie Whip
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, dogmandont said:

Two different things indeed. 

Another thing is showing a young dog it's first few foxes with another dog which in my opinion is bollox and not needed if the breeding is right. 

some corking reply’s on here ? ? 

the fox a mythical dangerous beast ? 

not directed at your post dogman would it not be a good idea to have it out since a pup watching older dogs doing the do mate ?

• Haha 1
11 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

I once Bred a terrier bitch out my best dog and bitch I had at the time...was out 2/3 times a week ,clipped up next to the digs, listening and taking it all in..every other pup from the litter was flying by 16 month old except the little rough bitch I kept ? had no interest in fox,dead or alive...I kept feeding it because to be honest I liked the little bitch...she was almost 4 yr old,when the one day,was out walking checking spots, she was off the lead(never been to ground)when she got on a line and  knocked one out of some cover and it went to ground, a short distance away in a reasonably small place...we could hear her sounding away like a pro,looked at my mate and said get digging....got down to her in no time...I bagged the fox,and dropped it in a bigger place further along the bank... dropped the bitch in,dug her again,then again the same day...that bitch became 100% fox only, could put her anywhere she would only go to them...few different folks told me to knock it on the head before that day...don't be in no rush,and don't let anyone else dictate how and what you should be doing WITH your dogs?

waited until 4 for it to get going i never had you down as soppy un mate ? 

5 hours ago, Sammyballer said:

it’s immature because it hasn’t been out and about since a pup watching other dogs getting things up sammy all ready ruined 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, dogmandont said:

spot on ?

9 hours ago, mC HULL said:

some corking reply’s on here ? ? 

the fox a mythical dangerous beast ? 

not directed at your post dogman would it not be a good idea to have it out since a pup watching older dogs doing the do mate ?

Learn nothing in a kennel. 

• Like 2