Entering on fox

Only way your find out what the dogs about is trying it’s luck it can go either way it can either love it or hate it. Youngest I’ve had a runner enter (beddy x) to them is nearly ten months old on a general walk before she’d even been entered on rabbits that day I learned what she’s about an she’s not looked back since 

• Like 2

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I once Bred a terrier bitch out my best dog and bitch I had at the time...was out 2/3 times a week ,clipped up next to the digs, listening and taking it all in..every other pup from the litter was fly

Never known a dog ruined by holding it back a itte bit seen plenty ruined started to young 

Game ?   Your as game as a coursing dog ffs ? You had the chance to show your super hounds run against my ten a penny hounds once , I don’t give invites out very often and u have had your bite at the

Posted Images

38 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

Some will never be mentally ready no matter how long you wait that's the thing, I'm not talking about throwing them at stuff at 12 months old and definitely some mature later than others but there has to be a cut off point where it just takes getting a face full to see it they're up for it. 

There's a Dog never seen a fox before 15 months old put a fox out one morning on his own killed it stone dead he never looked back after that ? and he was a collie x greyhound now that was many years ago lads 

20200205_181806.jpg

• Like 5
Just now, Ferretman65 said:

There's a Dog never seen a fox before 15 months old put a fox out one morning on his own killed it stone dead he never looked back after that ? and he was a collie x greyhound now that was many years ago lads 

20200205_181806.jpg

Perfect way to start, always preferred for them to start in the day and under their own steam. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, W. Katchum said:

Was a half cross deerhound bull, most litter did the job an more to be fair, was a load a pics of the dogs on here but the biggest of them all was a cur, wasn’t mine either for the record ?

A good little un will always beat a good biggun ?

• Haha 4

Away you an play way your train set you Fcuking anorak ? 

?

1 hour ago, Gallagher79 said:

The meltdown has started again.

110lb bull cross ffs. ?

Twas so.

Search on here an you be surprised, they were no secret ,there again you don’t care about anything lurcher related you just wanna crab the lads who got what you can’t have ???

Dai dogs first cross, if I remember correctly, katch?

Beast of a dog.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Countryman62 said:

Entering a dog to fox before it’s mentally mature is a sure fire way to ruin it and you don’t get two chances

Never known a dog ruined by holding it back a itte bit seen plenty ruined started to young 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
28 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Can also take 2 years feeding tk find out it not what you wanted, like I said everybody wants an expected diff things when entering dogs 

Been there my self in the past mate near 2yrs playing by the books giving a dog time an fair shout gradually bringing it on to find out its not what I needed or incapable of what was expected of it it’s waisted time an kidding one’s self in the long run I’m a believer in early entering (not to early) but to give a dog a bit of experience earlyish on  what will be expected of it even if it’s with a up an running dog or by other methods like watching so that the young un has some positive experience I personally think that’s what sets a up an coming dog up for a bright future for going solo but like you’ve said we all got different ideas when entering 

• Like 1

I once Bred a terrier bitch out my best dog and bitch I had at the time...was out 2/3 times a week ,clipped up next to the digs, listening and taking it all in..every other pup from the litter was flying by 16 month old except the little rough bitch I kept ? had no interest in fox,dead or alive...I kept feeding it because to be honest I liked the little bitch...she was almost 4 yr old,when the one day,was out walking checking spots, she was off the lead(never been to ground)when she got on a line and  knocked one out of some cover and it went to ground, a short distance away in a reasonably small place...we could hear her sounding away like a pro,looked at my mate and said get digging....got down to her in no time...I bagged the fox,and dropped it in a bigger place further along the bank... dropped the bitch in,dug her again,then again the same day...that bitch became 100% fox only, could put her anywhere she would only go to them...few different folks told me to knock it on the head before that day...don't be in no rush,and don't let anyone else dictate how and what you should be doing WITH your dogs?

• Like 17
2 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

My mate had two English Mastiff/Danes that would run away if confronted by other dogs, even a mini fox terrier one time. The same dogs used to kill boars by crushing their skulls. It's a good thing for hunting dogs to be not dog aggressive.

Excuse my ignorance I didn’t thing dogs had the power to kill boars mate