Entering on fox

I can’t find an answer to my question in the search bar so here goes. I ask on here as this is my first lurcher since I was a young lad and my old man passed away a few years ago.   

My dogs 19 months old now. 24” and did well on rabbit and knocked a couple long ears over end of the season so I’m really pleased with him ??

However, he’s puppyish in certain aspects. He’s only been cocking his leg to piss the last few months. Around strange dogs he’s very submissive  to the point he’ll roll over or run away. 

Does this submissive softness equal that he would not make a fox dog? Is it a bad sign or does it bare no relevance?? Can they be soft as muck like that and still make the grade or perhaps it’s an age thing?  My aim would of been to get him going oct/November time. Would I be best of waiting til he’s 2 ish in January say? I’ve a lot of permission from gamekeeper and farmers near me and there’s a lot around us  

Im certain he’d fly into them. I’ve seen how he’ll grab my terrier back of the neck and throw him at speed the little c,nt but playing with his mate  and something fighting for its life is obviously different.  

Any thoughts appreciated. 

AE918A46-1332-40F8-8813-15504463C5CF.jpeg

Edited by Samrog

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I once Bred a terrier bitch out my best dog and bitch I had at the time...was out 2/3 times a week ,clipped up next to the digs, listening and taking it all in..every other pup from the litter was fly

Never known a dog ruined by holding it back a itte bit seen plenty ruined started to young 

Game ?   Your as game as a coursing dog ffs ? You had the chance to show your super hounds run against my ten a penny hounds once , I don’t give invites out very often and u have had your bite at the

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, stonewall said:

you answered your own question quater way down in saying he is very puppyish in certain aspects.

You’re as helpful as you were the last time I needed advice.  I’ll not ask again ??

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
6 minutes ago, gnipper said:

Being submissive to other dogs is no sign of being soft with quarry imo you won't know until you try him. 

Thank you. I’ve long worded it but this was my main worry and question. 

6 minutes ago, Samrog said:

Thank you. I’ve long worded it but this was my main worry and question. 

Dogs that are bolshy and act aggressive are often the opposite when it comes time 2 stop saying things and quiet placid un does the business, can be the same wi people not allus mind

• Like 5
57 minutes ago, Samrog said:

You’re as helpful as you were the last time I needed advice.  I’ll not ask again ??

Bit blunt but what he said is right you did answer your own question , a puppies dog is not mature enough to be taking fox , and most dog aggressive mouthy lurchers I've seen were dog shite on teethed quarry , him been submissive will not affect his working specific quarry unless he's a nervous wreck , give him time mature and if someone tells you he should be doing teeth by 12 month or 18 month etc etc ain't worth listening to , all dogs diffrnet ans mature difrently 

• Like 5

If he's looking keen to give them a go then at 19 months I'd be letting him find out if he's cut out for the job, I've never owned a lurcher that hadn't seen its first fox by 14 months but they were bred for that specific work, I've seen puppyish dogs change completely offer starting on foxes and become more confident in themselves. Nothing like graft to focus a young dog. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
33 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Don’t listen to anybody but your gut, try it when you think it’s ready an if it do it do an if it don’t it don’t, pointless getting all hung up on it, it’s a funny ole thing but iv saw the skinniest shittiest looking timid lurcher pile an an 110lb bullx shite themselves, if it’s in the dog it’s in it, if not then stick to edible or get a new dog, if it’s that important 

110 pound fecking hell fire 

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Samrog said:

I can’t find an answer to my question in the search bar so here goes. I ask on here as this is my first lurcher since I was a young lad and my old man passed away a few years ago.   

My dogs 19 months old now. 24” and did well on rabbit and knocked a couple long ears over end of the season so I’m really pleased with him ??

However, he’s puppyish in certain aspects. He’s only been cocking his leg to piss the last few months. Around strange dogs he’s very submissive  to the point he’ll roll over or run away. 

Does this submissive softness equal that he would not make a fox dog? Is it a bad sign or does it bare no relevance?? Can they be soft as muck like that and still make the grade or perhaps it’s an age thing?  My aim would of been to get him going oct/November time. Would I be best of waiting til he’s 2 ish in January say? I’ve a lot of permission from gamekeeper and farmers near me and there’s a lot around us  

Im certain he’d fly into them. I’ve seen how he’ll grab my terrier back of the neck and throw him at speed the little c,nt but playing with his mate  and something fighting for its life is obviously different.  

Any thoughts appreciated. 

AE918A46-1332-40F8-8813-15504463C5CF.jpeg

Take him out September give him a Big Doppy cub when I was flat out at the foxes my Dogs would of been killing them now but they were Wheaton bred lurchers if its not in him it's not in him nothing you can do just enjoy him for what he does for you I seen Bull x greyhounds and Wheaton x greyhounds not take them good luck with him mate 

• Like 5
28 minutes ago, Countryman62 said:

Entering a dog to fox before it’s mentally mature is a sure fire way to ruin it and you don’t get two chances

Some will never be mentally ready no matter how long you wait that's the thing, I'm not talking about throwing them at stuff at 12 months old and definitely some mature later than others but there has to be a cut off point where it just takes getting a face full to see it they're up for it. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Samrog said:

He is taking sense though chances are dog would run up and bark at it or worst case get bit and put off for life. But six months down the road could be different ball game. A little bit of a clue will be when it hits a scent in the day time or spots one and how enthusiastic it is to get after it.  Some dogs seem to have a natural liking for them. Rather than let its first go be flying down the beam and grabbing some thing it does not know much about 

Edited by terryd
  • Like 1