Jump to content

How do people find the time to run multiple dogs


Recommended Posts


  • Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The bull x lads need 3 or 4 cos they slip.trebled up and the saluki boys never know when 1 is gonna run off never be seen again

If I won the lottery I would buy a massive estate and fill it full of all sorts of game and be out with the dogs every day ….

Only have the one runner now the old dog is ritered and lives with the mother I'm out enough to give 2 dogs the graft but this bitch i got atm does the lot and extremely well and if i had another runn

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

They don’t mate ,it’s a front you learn to spot .Same  as terriers .

You can only work a brace proper or your kidding yourself they are working .
These big leashes you see at shows say a lot about the owner ,feck all about the dogs .

Your average man with terriers 2 is enough , a old friend of mine had 8 when a professional and still wasn’t enough I use to go up with my two , he was out 7 days a week during the season either hunt days or stopping , as for lurchers 2/3 always suited me , a young dog , main worker and a pensioner 

  • Like 5
Link to post

It's as easy to keep 2 fit as it is one but I found the work is very rarely split 50/50, one will be better or just thrive on work more than the other, one will be better on the lamp where the other maybe better at catching daytime foxes close to heavy cover. 

Run them to their strengths. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
30 minutes ago, socks said:

If I won the lottery I would buy a massive estate and fill it full of all sorts of game and be out with the dogs every day ….

Ud get poached be undesirables from stoke

  • Haha 1
Link to post
1 minute ago, dogmandont said:

It's as easy to keep 2 fit as it is one but I found the work is very rarely split 50/50, one will be better or just thrive on work more than the other, one will be better on the lamp where the other maybe better at catching daytime foxes close to heavy cover. 

Run them to their strengths. 

That's why I keep.a skinny un  and a fat un 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
12 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

Without offending anyone mate bushing can be done with a pack of chihuahuas and isn’t work of any kind .

I'm sure that never offended no one 🤣🤣

Pass that apricot preserve

  • Haha 1
Link to post
27 minutes ago, Black neck said:

Ud get poached be undesirables from stoke

Good I haven’t hunted two legged quarry in years. 

  • Like 1
Link to post

In this day and age I think there are very few places in the UK where more than one dog is needed. 

However back in the 70s, 80s, early 90s it was a different matter. I used to run two dedicated hare dogs trained to the hawk. At the same time I owned and ran anything up to ten dogs! I ran dogs on rabbits and foxes year round and from august to april 20-25 nights a month from dusk till dawn, you need multiple dogs to do that.

Link to post
41 minutes ago, levigsp said:

In this day and age I think there are very few places in the UK where more than one dog is needed. 

However back in the 70s, 80s, early 90s it was a different matter. I used to run two dedicated hare dogs trained to the hawk. At the same time I owned and ran anything up to ten dogs! I ran dogs on rabbits and foxes year round and from august to april 20-25 nights a month from dusk till dawn, you need multiple dogs to do that.

How did u find time for the wife borrowing 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
3 hours ago, the lamping ferreter said:

Seen alot of people with 4/5/6 dogs how do you ever get the time to run and work them all  I've got 1 and that's good enough for me to keep fit and lamp 3 4 times a week in the winter I've had 2 before but just couldn't find the runs or the time for both so once they got older and I got fresh stock I just stuck with keeping 1 dog now

Well iam going back 37 years now I had 5 lurchers 16 ferrets and 52 buggies out my back but them days there was plenty about to hunt nowadays 2 lurchers is good enough and 2 ferrets 

  • Like 1
Link to post
1 minute ago, Ferretman65 said:

Well iam going back 37 years now I had 5 lurchers 16 ferrets and 52 buggies out my back but them days there was plenty about to hunt nowadays 2 lurchers is good enough and 2 ferrets 

I've got 3 ferrets so bollox 

  • Haha 1
Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...