How do people find the time to run multiple dogs

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The bull x lads need 3 or 4 cos they slip.trebled up and the saluki boys never know when 1 is gonna run off never be seen again

If I won the lottery I would buy a massive estate and fill it full of all sorts of game and be out with the dogs every day ….

Only have the one runner now the old dog is ritered and lives with the mother I'm out enough to give 2 dogs the graft but this bitch i got atm does the lot and extremely well and if i had another runn

Posted Images

2 hours ago, socks said:

If I won the lottery I would buy a massive estate and fill it full of all sorts of game and be out with the dogs every day ….

Yeah maybe I would ... But I'd be preoccupied with big game fishing and living life for a bit ...then I'd let loose rats and deer and bunnies with a keeper on hand...

2 hours ago, foxdropper said:

They don’t mate ,it’s a front you learn to spot .Same  as terriers .

You can only work a brace proper or your kidding yourself they are working .
These big leashes you see at shows say a lot about the owner ,feck all about the dogs .

Seen a lot of lads with 4.5.6 terriers. When you dig into the work they do. Each dog might be lucky to get a dig once a month. Then you have your old faithful which comes out when you want the quick result multiple times ? two is plenty if there not rough workers 

1 hour ago, Gypsydog94 said:

Seen a lot of lads with 4.5.6 terriers. When you dig into the work they do. Each dog might be lucky to get a dig once a month. Then you have your old faithful which comes out when you want the quick result multiple times ? two is plenty if there not rough workers 

I know lads that will give 4 or 5 terriers their fill of work. But like you say for the average fella 2 is plenty and sometimes it's 1 to many. 

• Like 1

I think it massively depends on the game you run. If we were to run rabbits one or two dogs between us would do us because there’s f**k all rabbits about here anymore only pockets and there well wide by mid season. If you only run fox and your out couple nights a week say two mid week a late one on Friday and an all-nighter Saturday your gonna need a few workers. If your putting in the miles and doing a lot of lamping on game that there’s a lot of one dog to you isn’t worth a f**k no matter how good it is between injuries, being sore , In heat (if it’s a bitch) but each to there own at the end of the day you can only keep as many as you have serious work for but in general I’d agree one man 6/7 lurchers is crazy. No point keeping loads of dogs that only get a few runs each better off have 3 or so workers and hammer it into them. 

• Like 1

Why worry about everyone else, have what you want for yourself and if your single dog breaks his neck chasing a rabbit one night youve got a good excuse to pack it in altogether, but if its your passion you will normally have a pup or two about in different stages of development and maybe a bitch in season and another worker with a sore wrist to rest for a proper amount of time so you will have another ready to go, because not going out with dogs all winter isnt really an option for you. If your very keen that is.

• Like 7
7 hours ago, dogmandont said:

I know lads that will give 4 or 5 terriers their fill of work. But like you say for the average fella 2 is plenty and sometimes it's 1 to many. 

Like you say some have plenty for them. I know a couple. But I know a lot who 2 would be plenty. 

Not saying that if u only keep 1 dog it  will be a world beater but atleast u know u have put all ur time an effort in to making 1 be as good as it can be rather than not spending enough time with them because u have too many and none of the dogs reaching their full potential although I do know a lad on here with 2 to run this season and I bet his two will get a lot more attention and work that a lot of lads with just the one dog ?‍♂️

If you cant find the time its because you are doing other things. We found it harder having terriers aswell. Better to concentrate on one or other, but thats not for everybody and upto now we are still free to own as many or as few as we like and thats our business. Enjoy that freedom.

• Like 1

As long as they are looked after and exercised then I suppose it’s up to folk how many dogs they have. Just don’t go spouting all over social media that you ‘graft’ them every night of the week if you ain’t. 
2 runners and a busher do me ok. Busher rarely has a day off injured. My old dogs lamping days are done but he’s still handy daytime bushing and on the hills. Got a 3 year old that’s doing well so that’s enough for me. With work, kids and other hobbies it’s hard to find the time. ?

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, Anythingthatruns said:

I’m still in school so have loads of time for the dog and ferrets but couldn’t imagine being able to work more than two. Giving the one I’ve got enough work isn’t too bad but I defo dont give her more than one in three of the opportunities I get

Hi greb 

• Haha 9