How do people find the time to run multiple dogs

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The bull x lads need 3 or 4 cos they slip.trebled up and the saluki boys never know when 1 is gonna run off never be seen again

If I won the lottery I would buy a massive estate and fill it full of all sorts of game and be out with the dogs every day ….

Only have the one runner now the old dog is ritered and lives with the mother I'm out enough to give 2 dogs the graft but this bitch i got atm does the lot and extremely well and if i had another runn

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

They don’t mate ,it’s a front you learn to spot .Same  as terriers .

You can only work a brace proper or your kidding yourself they are working .
These big leashes you see at shows say a lot about the owner ,feck all about the dogs .

Your average man with terriers 2 is enough , a old friend of mine had 8 when a professional and still wasn’t enough I use to go up with my two , he was out 7 days a week during the season either hunt days or stopping , as for lurchers 2/3 always suited me , a young dog , main worker and a pensioner 

• Like 5

It's as easy to keep 2 fit as it is one but I found the work is very rarely split 50/50, one will be better or just thrive on work more than the other, one will be better on the lamp where the other maybe better at catching daytime foxes close to heavy cover. 

Run them to their strengths. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, dogmandont said:

It's as easy to keep 2 fit as it is one but I found the work is very rarely split 50/50, one will be better or just thrive on work more than the other, one will be better on the lamp where the other maybe better at catching daytime foxes close to heavy cover. 

Run them to their strengths. 

That's why I keep.a skinny un  and a fat un 

• Like 1

In this day and age I think there are very few places in the UK where more than one dog is needed. 

However back in the 70s, 80s, early 90s it was a different matter. I used to run two dedicated hare dogs trained to the hawk. At the same time I owned and ran anything up to ten dogs! I ran dogs on rabbits and foxes year round and from august to april 20-25 nights a month from dusk till dawn, you need multiple dogs to do that.

41 minutes ago, levigsp said:

In this day and age I think there are very few places in the UK where more than one dog is needed. 

However back in the 70s, 80s, early 90s it was a different matter. I used to run two dedicated hare dogs trained to the hawk. At the same time I owned and ran anything up to ten dogs! I ran dogs on rabbits and foxes year round and from august to april 20-25 nights a month from dusk till dawn, you need multiple dogs to do that.

How did u find time for the wife borrowing 

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, the lamping ferreter said:

Seen alot of people with 4/5/6 dogs how do you ever get the time to run and work them all  I've got 1 and that's good enough for me to keep fit and lamp 3 4 times a week in the winter I've had 2 before but just couldn't find the runs or the time for both so once they got older and I got fresh stock I just stuck with keeping 1 dog now

Well iam going back 37 years now I had 5 lurchers 16 ferrets and 52 buggies out my back but them days there was plenty about to hunt nowadays 2 lurchers is good enough and 2 ferrets 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Ferretman65 said:

Well iam going back 37 years now I had 5 lurchers 16 ferrets and 52 buggies out my back but them days there was plenty about to hunt nowadays 2 lurchers is good enough and 2 ferrets 

I've got 3 ferrets so bollox 

• Haha 1