Think someone can help ?

Kazakhstan was known for big wels long before the ebro, cloning for truly wild cats out there, true wilderness fishing. 

I just walked along a stretch of the Thames that has cats up to 70lb.

58 minutes ago, mackem said:

Kazakhstan was known for big wels long before the ebro, cloning for truly wild cats out there, true wilderness fishing. 

I just walked along a stretch of the Thames that has cats up to 70lb.

Do t they also have the worlds largest species for trout ? Or is that Mongolia?

9 hours ago, sussex said:

At the time our guide was telling us there was no laws regarding the removal of carp and catfish , the Eastern Europeans were taking them on a commercial basis ..As for fishing in Spain it’s a nightmare , where we were fishing at a reservoir 99.9% of the fish caught were carp , the valencian bailiff came round and told us to kill any carp we caught , along with any bass as they were non native , when I asked what were native to the water he said barbel ..in all the years I’ve fished it I’ve never seen a barbel let alone catch one ..Forty miles in the opposite direction we fish the Jucar river , it’s forbidden to take or injure any fish , keep nets are banned unless it’s a match and carp over a certain size must be weighed and released ..The river is closed to fishing Monday to allow the river to rest …that wasn’t sufficient for some council members so they banned fishing on Tuesday as well ..on an average day this two mile stretch , that’s 12 foot deep and seventy yds wide , will see at most ten anglers ..there is no night fishing .You must have a valencian licence , you must be an affiliated club member to get a permit ..Ever region has their own licensing system , some of which are so antiquated it beggars belief ..fishing in Spain is about as difficult as they can make it ..

On the lower Ebro the authorities were prosecuting EEs for commercial fishing. Now they don't bother as the fish they are catching and selling are regarded as undesirable.

I got a no-kill licence to fish in Catalonia. As far as I could see the only places where additional licences were required was for trout fishing. There are barbel in the Rio Ter, a species called ebro barbel. I was briefly attached to two earlier this year. If you are heading down that way drop me a pm and I can put you onto a cracking swim full of mullet with a few 6lb+ barbel amongst them. Cast the other way and you have a herd of carp with some barbel amongst them.

The pfaff to get a Catalonian fishing licence is akin to applying to renew your French driving licence. Unbelievably complicated.

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

cosmos barbel?

That’s the one ..comizo ..I’ve talked to a Spanish fella that used to take a trip done there every year , whilst he’d show you all the pictures and tell the tales he wouldn't give up a single clue on baits or locations ..His best was 13.4kg ..his fishing mate had one at 14.9kg ..

6 minutes ago, sussex said:

That’s the one ..comizo ..I’ve talked to a Spanish fella that used to take a trip done there every year , whilst he’d show you all the pictures and tell the tales he wouldn't give up a single clue on baits or locations ..His best was 13.4kg ..his fishing mate had one at 14.9kg ..

I read somewhere once,that you can catch them on lures/jigs like you fish for Zander/perch etc?

16 minutes ago, Nicepix said:

If you are looking for a specimen barbel you need to head for the middle east

maxresdefault.jpg.10a08db622fe380f83e4745e9ae741fa.jpg

Only place I have ever been refused a visa, Iran, friend went in and was shadowed by secret police at one point. 

1 minute ago, mackem said:

Only place I have ever been refused a visa, Iran, friend went in and was shadowed by secret police at one point. 

We have a friend who was in charge of the Canadian equestrian team in the 70's and 80's. He flew over to Moscow to have a look at a venue they were going to compete in. He said it was exactly like the le Carre books. A woman sat at a desk in every hotel corridor. Two men following him round everywhere. Suspicious clicks and echoes on the phone lines. Cabbage for every meal........

After two days he approached the goons directly and suggested that they lead instead of following him so he wouldn't keep getting lost.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1