Think someone can help ?

So I've asked about this in the fishing section before with not much luck.  Anyone think they could point me in the direction of some older detailed writings on fishing for wels catfish ? When I say older I'm taking about 1960 as far back as possible, medieval times if possible.

Thanks

47 minutes ago, Wolfdog91 said:

So I've asked about this in the fishing section before with not much luck.  Anyone think they could point me in the direction of some older detailed writings on fishing for wels catfish ? When I say older I'm taking about 1960 as far back as possible, medieval times if possible.

Thanks

They are not indigenous to the UK so finding older British writings on them might be tricky ? ..more a mainland Europe thing.

19 minutes ago, kanny said:

They are not indigenous to the UK so finding older British writings on them might be tricky ? ..more a mainland Europe thing.

Well was hoping I'd be able to find someone here who might know lol. You guys are alot closer then me to Europe ?

• Haha 1
11 minutes ago, Wolfdog91 said:

Well was hoping I'd be able to find someone here who might know lol. You guys are alot closer then me to Europe ?

You probably have better relations with our European cousins than we do ?

• Haha 1
23 minutes ago, Lenmcharristar said:

Theyre massive in the ebro in spain, they were introduced there in the 70s and have dominated that river, theyre huge in it, i also thing theres huge species in russia too

Yep definitely on my bucket list to go after one. One of the guys I follow on FB seems to love going after them

Screenshot_20220809-121851.png.a75892c9ae5185c7b6f92e2c762376da.png

On the up side apparently it's cheaper to go toe Spain get a guide on and go on the Ebro for a few day then it it to go 1200mi north of me to Michigan and do some ice fishing ?

Remember one guy said he dropped less then $2000 all together for a guided carp trip

This was out the Ebro  168lb ..put up a tidy scrap ..we had quite a few over the hundred on a five day trip .4DA640F5-385F-41F4-8637-E740135835D6.jpeg.107c6486d3427a74ea9aa83725a1c95c.jpeg

Fishing near Caspe with Dream Carp fishing , we had quite a few over the 100lb .The only downer was the amount the Eastern Europeans were killing , literally ever fish they caught , carp and cat were put on a stringer then when the fridge van came down they were killed and carted off .The amazing thing there was no law against it , talk about kill the golden goose , this was a few years back and you can’t wonder the best years are gone ..

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, sussex said:

This was out the Ebro  168lb ..put up a tidy scrap ..we had quite a few over the hundred on a five day trip .4DA640F5-385F-41F4-8637-E740135835D6.jpeg.107c6486d3427a74ea9aa83725a1c95c.jpeg

Fishing near Caspe with Dream Carp fishing , we had quite a few over the 100lb .The only downer was the amount the Eastern Europeans were killing , literally ever fish they caught , carp and cat were put on a stringer then when the fridge van came down they were killed and carted off .The amazing thing there was no law against it , talk about kill the golden goose , this was a few years back and you can’t wonder the best years are gone ..

There are laws against it. But they are rarely enforced. There are a growing number of people in Spain who want all invasive and non-indigionous species to be removed. How they could do that is debatable, but they want all carp, catfish and the roach, rudd, bream unused livebaits that have been tipped in by anglers from the UK, Holland, Germany, etc. to be removed.

43 minutes ago, Nicepix said:

There are laws against it. But they are rarely enforced. There are a growing number of people in Spain who want all invasive and non-indigionous species to be removed. How they could do that is debatable, but they want all carp, catfish and the roach, rudd, bream unused livebaits that have been tipped in by anglers from the UK, Holland, Germany, etc. to be removed.

What native species would that leave them to catch?

37 minutes ago, Nicepix said:

At the time our guide was telling us there was no laws regarding the removal of carp and catfish , the Eastern Europeans were taking them on a commercial basis ..As for fishing in Spain it’s a nightmare , where we were fishing at a reservoir 99.9% of the fish caught were carp , the valencian bailiff came round and told us to kill any carp we caught , along with any bass as they were non native , when I asked what were native to the water he said barbel ..in all the years I’ve fished it I’ve never seen a barbel let alone catch one ..Forty miles in the opposite direction we fish the Jucar river , it’s forbidden to take or injure any fish , keep nets are banned unless it’s a match and carp over a certain size must be weighed and released ..The river is closed to fishing Monday to allow the river to rest …that wasn’t sufficient for some council members so they banned fishing on Tuesday as well ..on an average day this two mile stretch , that’s 12 foot deep and seventy yds wide , will see at most ten anglers ..there is no night fishing .You must have a valencian licence , you must be an affiliated club member to get a permit ..Ever region has their own licensing system , some of which are so antiquated it beggars belief ..fishing in Spain is about as difficult as they can make it ..

• Thanks 1