Does anyone recognise this species.

The nest was about twenty feet from the ground.20220808_165850.jpg.5c586d41805b537e58af482f2cfea37d.jpgFrom their behaviour and appearance ,albeit viewed from a distance and through my aged eyes, l was certain they were medians. Their lack of organised defence was also typical. 

However despite several classic pointers to that species , amongst other things the facial pattern doesn't  tally with the text books.

I still think it's  a median  , they  can be a bit variable in body colour  ,  but l'd love to have an opinion from someone more expert.20220808_203639.jpg.595200b40a9e66899f4cfecdaa228ce9.jpg20220808_201853.jpg.6f46d0f71bef390f237a45e49add59ff.jpg20220808_201619.jpg.469f54303f5d2207459f08a06cd1336e.jpg

40 views and no response. At least I'm not alone in my  ignorance. 

Actually l have come to think after internet searching and book references  that identification of the median wasp when they first turned up in this country  might've  been lazily done. 

The recognised "type species" as featured in identification charts have a barred face and yellow lower limbs .  However a few pictures do show a wasp that match my specimens with brown legs and plain face.

I reckon they are actually seperate species. 

Edited by comanche

I have admit my ignorance on wopsts. I only know of two types; the waspgrub wasp that we used to dig up the nests of for fishing bait and the dangly legged wasps that make small, tangerine sized nests in my fishing jacket that is hanging up in the basement doorway. You can safely remove the nest while the 6 or 7 adults watch on. All the rest is a mystery.

4 hours ago, PLEDGEY said:

Dolichovespula sylvestris a.k.a. Tree Wasp will make nests in trees but not always.

Tree wasps don't  have the chocolate markings or brown/ orange " shield " on the shoulders ( medians do but they usually have a barred face too). Tree wasps also have a black spot on their faces.

Without doubt "my" specimens are definately one of the dolichocephalic species though?

Edited by comanche