Isle of Whithorn

Anyone from near the isle of Whithorn on here or done any fishing there and knows what I can expect there , is it shallow or deeper water and is it snaggy . I’m thinking of having a drive up next week to have a go for bass and pollock with lures but I’m also thinking of taking some bait gear and having a go for tope , I want to try and get a decent one from the shore this year and it’s one of the places I’ve been told to try . 

9 hours ago, neil r said:

Anyone from near the isle of Whithorn on here or done any fishing there and knows what I can expect there , is it shallow or deeper water and is it snaggy . I’m thinking of having a drive up next week to have a go for bass and pollock with lures but I’m also thinking of taking some bait gear and having a go for tope , I want to try and get a decent one from the shore this year and it’s one of the places I’ve been told to try . 

I was up there last week. I've been going up there since I was a kid. I have a good rock mark between garlieston and whithorn. 

If you have WhatsApp on your phone PM me your number and I'll send you some maps with the mark and route to it. Bass, Pollock, a mullets I swear was a record (but lost obviously), conger ,ling, red cod, wrasse. 

I've never known tope from that part but they do target them across the bay. Last week there were loads of Huss, more Huss than dogfish. Really deep water close in , nice sand bank with a good cast.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, DIDO.1 said:

I was up there last week. I've been going up there since I was a kid. I have a good rock mark between garlieston and whithorn. 

If you have WhatsApp on your phone PM me your number and I'll send you some maps with the mark and route to it. Bass, Pollock, a mullets I swear was a record (but lost obviously), conger ,ling, red cod, wrasse. 

I've never known tope from that part but they do target them across the bay. Last week there were loads of Huss, more Huss than dogfish. Really deep water close in , nice sand bank with a good cast.

Thanks , I’ll send you my number. I thought it might be the case with tope but I can only try , all the videos of tope I’ve seen are from boats up there.  I wouldn’t be upset catching huss or conger though .