Dibber/Mole Probe-Tent Peg.

@Nicepix I'm going to have a go of mole removal in my garden,I've ordered a barrel trap could a tent peg be used as a dibber? If not could you recommend something instead of buying an actual dibber?

I did think about the metal bars used on building sites with the u shape on top that is used to hold up the orange plastic material, is one of these to thick in diameter for a dibber,I would have cut it to 33inches in length.

Also on average how deep down from the ground top should you find the tunnel/run.I have watched numerous YouTube videos I can't wait to try.

Many Thanks.

Use rebar of around 4mm to 6mm. Ask someone with a welder to put a couple of beads of weld at the bottom to help feel the drop into the tunnel. Then use a short length of round baton to make  T handle. If you cut it to the same length as a Duffus trap then cut the ends to 45 degrees and fit the probe to the short side. You can use the handle to firm up the tunnel base if required.

The tunnels can be anywhere from an inch to 2 feet dependent on conditions and seasons. Look around the edges of your garden, sides of patios and hedgerows for small signs of mole activity. Then probe in those areas, not around the molehills.

Best of luck.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Nicepix said:

Use rebar of around 4mm to 6mm. Ask someone with a welder to put a couple of beads of weld at the bottom to help feel the drop into the tunnel. Then use a short length of round baton to make  T handle. If you cut it to the same length as a Duffus trap then cut the ends to 45 degrees and fit the probe to the short side. You can use the handle to firm up the tunnel base if required.

The tunnels can be anywhere from an inch to 2 feet dependent on conditions and seasons. Look around the edges of your garden, sides of patios and hedgerows for small signs of mole activity. Then probe in those areas, not around the molehills.

Best of luck.

Is there any difference if the rebar is thicker than 6mm,been reading different topics and someone said rebar of 50mm is still ok to use?

I've read people using old knitting needles or a beheaded golf club?

7 minutes ago, patterdale said:

Is there any difference if the rebar is thicker than 6mm,been reading different topics and someone said rebar of 50mm is still ok to use?

I've read people using old knitting needles or a beheaded golf club?

50mm is 2 inches. You'd need a mallet to drive it in.  ?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Stop Fcuking over thinking it haha get biggest screw driver you got, with decent head on it, probe around till you feel it drop, probe more to find a section of run straight enough to put trap in, put real on floor cut around with bread knife or even a pointing trowel, ( I used a screw driver an a trowel for first couple hundred moles, still do a lot times,) set trap an them dispose of dead mole the next day ?

I shall do that,can't help but over think, I'm a perfectionist with ocd.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, patterdale said:

I shall do that,can't help but over think, I'm a perfectionist with ocd.

Perfectionism doesn't work with hunting / trapping. Nature keeps getting in the way.

• Like 2