First x whippet greyhound

Going off on a tangent here but have always liked the attached painting, that has uploaded pissed for some reason. Norman Cornish "Man at Bar With Dog on Lead". The breed is not specified but when talking to people about the picture or reading critiques they always assume that it is a whippet, I have always thought that it looks more like a whippet x greyhound or scratch dog rather than a whippet.

From the generation before me but would see the scene in bars sometimes when I was younger, not seen it for many years now. These days it is all about being proud of who you are and celebrating your culture... well blokes in flat caps having a pint with a racing dog in tow is part of my culture. It should be called "just taking the dog round the block pet 'tiil the tea's ready" the tea often ending up in the bin or in the dog's bowl.

20220630_174930.jpg

• Like 12

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ive posted this before , but many years ago, as a lad at school. on my way home if i had no money for the bus, i used to take a short cut up some back streets to get home, there was this black snout s

Seen a lot of first cross non-ped whippet x greyhounds over the years, and owned a few line bred. Insanely fast and easily capable of taking daytime hare, downside is they break easily and most l

Going off on a tangent here but have always liked the attached painting, that has uploaded pissed for some reason. Norman Cornish "Man at Bar With Dog on Lead". The breed is not specified but when tal

Posted Images

1 hour ago, eastcoast said:

Going off on a tangent here but have always liked the attached painting, that has uploaded pissed for some reason. Norman Cornish "Man at Bar With Dog on Lead". The breed is not specified but when talking to people about the picture or reading critiques they always assume that it is a whippet, I have always thought that it looks more like a whippet x greyhound or scratch dog rather than a whippet.

From the generation before me but would see the scene in bars sometimes when I was younger, not seen it for many years now. These days it is all about being proud of who you are and celebrating your culture... well blokes in flat caps having a pint with a racing dog in tow is part of my culture. It should be called "just taking the dog round the block pet 'tiil the tea's ready" the tea often ending up in the bin or in the dog's bowl.

20220630_174930.jpg

Spot on Eastcoast...

My old bitch certainly came from such a background. My dad came back from the pub with the pup in hand.

First crosses, the biggest getting sold off, probably just for a pint or two. The pup came home, was put on the floor and my dads collie cur thrashed it. That old sly bitch hated the spindly puppy and my Mum took it to live with her spinster Aunts, 4 doors up the street.

Here she stayed, though very much my dog. She got her own back from that early thrashing, many times over. Because when doors were left open, she'd dart up our lobby, into the kitchen and wolf down the cur dogs grub in seconds, before racing out into the street and away... ?

On 06/08/2022 at 01:07, Moocher71 said:

my young lurcher was turning out just nice until she became bang shy because of fireworks  

It's bad if your out hunting and get a thunderstorm or people shooting. My older bitch started getting scared of loud noises after a fireworks night, I have to leash her before she takes off to god knows where.

2 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

It's bad if your out hunting and get a thunderstorm or people shooting. My older bitch started getting scared of loud noises after a fireworks night, I have to leash her before she takes off to god knows where.

strange one really, doesn't bother some dogs. a friend of mine had a cracking Jack Russell bitch, fireworks scared her, took of one night straight across busy main road and killed by a car. 

• Sad 1

What I've found is if you start them out in the field when they at the age of about  3/4/5 months old  out for a walk ,at the report of the shotgun as long as it's a single shot  they won't bolt off like they will when they get older . If they are effected by the report a young pup will return to you for safety, if they begin to be effected badly I rest them at home for several months  otherwise it begins to become a deep-seated problem, that may well stay with them for their whole lives  .

My whippet x greyhound "Carla"

johns fishing & rabitting 24.jpg

carla.jpg

• Like 5