1/4 bull 3/4 greyhounds

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pm mchull tom he's are resident Bull x expert his love and knowledge of them are second to none .he's that passionate about them they never leave his thoughts 

Posted Images

1 minute ago, South hams hunter said:

Most don't though; half can't even tell you how it's bred properly. I had a golly bred dog that was meant to be a 3/8 5/8 but when I did some digging there was collie and saluki in there somewhere 

does it matter what’s in it if it is fit for purpose ?

1 minute ago, South hams hunter said:

Knowing what's in it will help you work out if it could become fit for purpose 

talking it on land running it on shit will work out if it’s fit for purpose 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

you like half crosses dogman 

I like a 3/8 or 1/2 x but of the right type, wouldn't take a cloddy type for a gift no matter how good a killing dog it was, I've seen enough terrier xs that couldn't catch a fox in a phone box to do me lifetime. 

The reason I always used a big coursing greyhound bitch was you had a better chance of getting something racey that had a good bit of pace. 

12 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

does it matter what’s in it if it is fit for purpose ?

Not knocking what other lads do but it always did to me, if I wanted a bull xs then I wanted pitbull and greyhound and nothing else same for the wheaten xs I bred and owned. 

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

I like a 3/8 or 1/2 x but of the right type, wouldn't take a cloddy type for a gift no matter how good a killing dog it was, I've seen enough terrier xs that couldn't catch a fox in a phone box to do me lifetime. 

The reason I always used a big coursing greyhound bitch was you had a better chance of getting something racey that had a good bit of pace. 

they need to be racey better ones i seen been 27 28 like a running dog with bullish head 

i always prefered a quarter bull 

10 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

Not knocking what other lads do but it always did to me, if I wanted a bull xs then I wanted pitbull and greyhound and nothing else same for the wheaten xs I bred and owned. 

but what if you got one in later found out it had bits and pieces in it 

me i’d still run it see what it had if a good un it wouldn’t bother me one bit really

8 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

but what if you got one in later found out it had bits and pieces in it 

me i’d still run it see what it had if a good un it wouldn’t bother me one bit really

If it was good at its job I'd run it but not breed from it. 

• Like 2

My mate reckons the 34 x is the ultimate, well about 20 year ago he got a bitch pup.saved off a litter only 2 be told the blokes old man had sold his pup why he was at work ,dunt worry I'll get you 1 he said ,a bitch pup.was found and brought down unseen made a cracking bitch ,I found out not long after he got it that it was a 38 58 but I never said ote, 2 this day my mate still reckons the 34 is the ultimate as the bitch could catch ote barring many daytime longuns and was game and if anyone says the got no wind and break easy he uses this bitch as example ,I just nod and smile ?

• Haha 3

My best all round dog was a 5/8 x 3/8 . We were out a lot at night, then he was out with the terriers Saturday and a foot pack Sunday’s . Whatever you threw at him he d do it . Was a handy dog on an earth and lamped off the lead, really obedient. When I put him down to old age I had dogs with a higher bull percentage ie first crosses and reverse 5/8 x 3/8  . All game but none as good all rounders as my old dog . I tried 3 3/4 gh x 1/4 bulls. They could all shift but had no bottle . Yes you d have foxes with em but they were vocal when they got bit and fxxxed about with stuff when a bit sore .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, mC HULL said:

talking it on land running it on shit will work out if it’s fit for purpose 

Thats fine for that dog on the day, but its when you come to breed that it all goes wrong.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, South hams hunter said:

My dad had 3 different 3/4s in the early 80s; 2 out of GAs Dazzle bitch and 1 out of general. I know several that also had them in the 90s and just about into the early 2000s ... all these where out of genuine working halfxs out of genuine working bulls. 

In this day and age you'll probably not find a decent bull they'll allow you to put over a greyhound and if you find a decent half bred it's probably several generation bred and they're quite often as racey as a 3/4.

Alot of people aren't really aware of what's in the dogs they have anymore - often see things advertised as bullx pups or saluki bull grey and they may be an 1/8 or less bull with several other breeds chucked in 

A lot of good Bulls are racey but its whats in the brainbox that counts. There are much much less good bulls about now, thats why its important not to outcross the goodstuff to extinction.

• Like 3