Warming up

I'm sure you aren't talking about a coursing dog match, best of three for 10 grand !

Just use common sense, don't give the dog a slip straight out of the car.

If you want, give it a stretch and a rub down before and after.

Dont over do the running, it's easy to do, but can sicken the dog.

And, what a lot of people forget, clean the nail beds by washing in salty water and scrubbing with a soft tooth brush after a day or night out.

A dog that has decent food, a clean, draught free kennel , and good excersise will do what you want.

It's not rocket science, and you, and the dog, will learn as you go along ?

Cheers.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Allways massaged and stretched the whippets and greyhounds before a race. I'm convinced that most of the muscle injuries non-ped whippets suffer, especially dropped gracillis, are a result of being ra

My black bitch slammed into a tree Sunday morning and catapulted off ,couldn't walk ,I was convinced summat were broke ,but after some loxicom and good massage a couple times a day she seems sound onl

In a perfect world we give a couple of gallops to warm up but it's not a perfect world.  ?Stretches before may well reduce muscle contraction so more for us than them. So I go for them stand

Posted Images

2 hours ago, scottpenn28 said:

Not the first person to mention an easy run to begin with, never thought about using the swaying of the car to get their muscles working, certainly something to think about. 

Was thinking more for the summertime "get fit" sessions though, mine free runs for a few mile with the spaniel and then get back and trotting along the bike for a couple and then the last 1/4 - 1/2 mile back I get off and walk her. But for those who only have running dogs, I was curious if they walked first or did some sort of warmup before getting on the bike. 

For general exercise ie when i run with mine then if from home they're on lead for the 1st mile or so till i get to an area they can run free so get a bit of a warm up but often I'll drive to somewhere they can run free from the off and then I just let them go and they just get on with it, galloping, mooching etc depending on the area. But i keep them pretty fit so a gallop isn't going to strain anything, they warm themselves up and gallop about and return to me to recover. It would be different if they were going to put a few minutes behind a hare.

• Thanks 1

they normally already been jumping ten foot as your getting leads jogging on the spot once you lead em up jumped into the motor jumped out and have been bouncing for the first field o so  mate i wouldn’t read to much into it 

a good rub down stretch out after id concentrate on ?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, chartpolski said:

I'm sure you aren't talking about a coursing dog match, best of three for 10 grand !

Just use common sense, don't give the dog a slip straight out of the car.

If you want, give it a stretch and a rub down before and after.

Dont over do the running, it's easy to do, but can sicken the dog.

And, what a lot of people forget, clean the nail beds by washing in salty water and scrubbing with a soft tooth brush after a day or night out.

A dog that has decent food, a clean, draught free kennel , and good excersise will do what you want.

It's not rocket science, and you, and the dog, will learn as you go along ?

Cheers.

Definitely not talking a match! Just trying to make sure I do everything I can to ensure she's in best possible shape come season, I'm definitely still learning. 

• Like 1

Rubbing down with curacco or similar can only do good mate, especially after hard exercise. Go with the muscles and you will feel warmth from the friction of your hands, or get an electric massager, but dont be afraid to use a bit of pressure, Its good for skin and coat too and you'll get to notice things that you wouldnt normally. get some clippers and learn to trim nails aswell or use a dremel. One of the biggest causes of injury to toes is long nails. If you trim regularly the quick will recede back. atb

• Thanks 1

i always  stretch / pull there shoulders/ thighs , then massage the spine, after nights lamping, thats with all my lurchers ive had in the 35 years ive kept them. my big  dog deff need it, stretch him abit, then back to the car, then  when back home , same again , he had shoulder injury when he was 12 months old, jumped of a wall, and prob  not landed right. he was ok with worked him plenty of long hard nights up to 8 year old , the stretching  really helped him, i think it a must with any working dog big or small . 

• Thanks 1

My black bitch slammed into a tree Sunday morning and catapulted off ,couldn't walk ,I was convinced summat were broke ,but after some loxicom and good massage a couple times a day she seems sound only thing is I noticed the other 2 bitches looking on well jel when I was doing me masseuse bit ,now they took 2 walking about holding 1 leg up hoping 2 get the treatment, funny ole things dogs 

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Black neck said:

My black bitch slammed into a tree Sunday morning and catapulted off ,couldn't walk ,I was convinced summat were broke ,but after some loxicom and good massage a couple times a day she seems sound only thing is I noticed the other 2 bitches looking on well jel when I was doing me masseuse bit ,now they took 2 walking about holding 1 leg up hoping 2 get the treatment, funny ole things dogs 

the dogs like it’s owner can’t see the woods for the tree ? was it running with it’s eyes closed blacky ?

8 hours ago, jeemes said:

Rubbing down with curacco or similar can only do good mate, especially after hard exercise. Go with the muscles and you will feel warmth from the friction of your hands, or get an electric massager, but dont be afraid to use a bit of pressure, Its good for skin and coat too and you'll get to notice things that you wouldnt normally. get some clippers and learn to trim nails aswell or use a dremel. One of the biggest causes of injury to toes is long nails. If you trim regularly the quick will recede back. atb

Definitely going to start rubbing her down after exercise, from what you guys have said its the way to go. Tbh she's a nightmare with her toes since she injured them, luckily will let you cut them but only when she totally shattered, otherwise she jumps a mile and runs away. Polar opposite to spaniel who loves a good grooming. Cheers ?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, bird said:

i always  stretch / pull there shoulders/ thighs , then massage the spine, after nights lamping, thats with all my lurchers ive had in the 35 years ive kept them. my big  dog deff need it, stretch him abit, then back to the car, then  when back home , same again , he had shoulder injury when he was 12 months old, jumped of a wall, and prob  not landed right. he was ok with worked him plenty of long hard nights up to 8 year old , the stretching  really helped him, i think it a must with any working dog big or small . 

Sounds like the stretching and massaging definitely helped him then! Will look into dog stretching and start from now I think given what everyone is saying. Thanks ?

This is a good one for injured toes or anywhere where a callous forms. I found it doesnt really work on old callouses though. Use a tooth brush to work it in. Sorry about the picture on its side, bit awkward to read.

IMG_7695.JPG

Edited by jeemes
  • Like 1

Of course a good rub down before & after graft would be benificial, and i've seen some fantastic videos on the subject.

Back in the day on those lamping missions all over the country, it was a case of a few hours drive to your chosen speck, find a field, bail out, walk a few yards along a hedge stand still and call. Then run, hopefully catch and straight back in the motor and on to the next decent field or pair of eyes. Our poor dogs just about had time to shit and it was total stop start for them. Christ,  it was tough on them, but the best did it, week in week out. No rub downs, just patched up and we're out again tomorrow.

These days i've grown up a bit, those missions are long gone, and i like to see a dog getting a bit of a warm up and a cool down on a nights work. Still don't rub down mind, i just don't have the time, or just wouldn't be arsed... I keep Lurchers, not F1 greyhounds. I expect the types i've kept to be a damn sight more rubust than a purebred BUT if folks add it to their regime, then more power to them and their dogs... ?

8 hours ago, Bosun11 said:

Of course a good rub down before & after graft would be benificial, and i've seen some fantastic videos on the subject.

Back in the day on those lamping missions all over the country, it was a case of a few hours drive to your chosen speck, find a field, bail out, walk a few yards along a hedge stand still and call. Then run, hopefully catch and straight back in the motor and on to the next decent field or pair of eyes. Our poor dogs just about had time to shit and it was total stop start for them. Christ,  it was tough on them, but the best did it, week in week out. No rub downs, just patched up and we're out again tomorrow.

These days i've grown up a bit, those missions are long gone, and i like to see a dog getting a bit of a warm up and a cool down on a nights work. Still don't rub down mind, i just don't have the time, or just wouldn't be arsed... I keep Lurchers, not F1 greyhounds. I expect the types i've kept to be a damn sight more rubust than a purebred BUT if folks add it to their regime, then more power to them and their dogs... ?

Good insight, I know not everyone would rub down or warm up just seems that would be the perfect scenario.

With regard to the dogs being in and out the motor week in, week out, clearly they did the graft that was asked of them and did it for a decent amount of time, but do you think they would have ran better, or gained more years by warming up and warming down correctly? Injuries will always happen, even the best athletes get injured.