Evening guys I need to get my pups docked my normal vets has now decided they won’t do it and every vet near me has refused as well stating they don’t agree with it ?? so looks like il need to do it my self. I’ve got a nice sharp pair of bandage scissors and some iodine but don’t particularly wanna f**k them up so any advice would be appreciated. Or if any one knows of a vet that will do it for me in west Suffolk that would be helpful 

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

then change your vet?

pinch twist and pull the tail around 3 days old a white sinue will come out of the tail no bleeding.pinch a strong three quaters up the tail to start with. 

No need for iodine The mother will sort that out ATB… Tony

Posted Images

Just now, W. Katchum said:

If the bitch decides to take a third of the end of the each tail it won’t be no big deal for the pups an will be much better for them later on in life ?

Sounds like that would be very fortunate ? 

12 hours ago, Harry255 said:

Evening guys I need to get my pups docked my normal vets has now decided they won’t do it and every vet near me has refused as well stating they don’t agree with it ?? so looks like il need to do it my self. I’ve got a nice sharp pair of bandage scissors and some iodine but don’t particularly wanna f**k them up so any advice would be appreciated. Or if any one knows of a vet that will do it for me in west Suffolk that would be helpful 

No need for iodine

The mother will sort that out

ATB… Tony

Edited by TonyT
Needs my specs
  • Like 3

Super sharp scissors tend to cut the skin at the same length as the tail bone and will leave a bald spot on the end, I'm my experience a pair of side cutter style nail clippers are a bit more suitable. They pinch the skin over the end of the cut point of the tail bone making the skin slightly longer and avoiding the bald end bit. Keep an eye on them for half an hour after just incase there's any bleeds but as previously stated the bitch will normally tend to them adequately. 

• Like 1

get a bit of an old railway sleeper and the biggest heaviest meat clever you can get put the tail on the sleeper be careful not to get any tar from the sleeper on the pups coat and thats you ready oh remember to turn up the volume on the radio

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, Sinistre said:

You get get a powder online that stops the bleeding straight away,think it’s called styptic powder 

Burn some newspaper and use the ashes as at sterile bleed stopper, just don't be wearing white when doing so...

• Like 2

Perfect advice from everyone off here if you want to get prosecuted when you take your terrier to the vets later in life and they want proof with documents.

I'd never own an undocked terrier but docking yourself is illegal unless qualified and only done through a vet practice under obvious particular circumstance.

Need to be careful mate.

Sam.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, sambo123 said:

Perfect advice from everyone off here if you want to get prosecuted when you take your terrier to the vets later in life and they want proof with documents.

I'd never own an undocked terrier but docking yourself is illegal unless qualified and only done through a vet practice under obvious particular circumstance.

Need to be careful mate.

Sam.

I’ve never been asked for certs off the vet

for my terriers or spaniels.

I’ve also never heard of anyone who has.

I took a litter for chipping at 8 week old

last year. All docked and vet said nothing 

ATB  Tony

• Like 3
7 hours ago, TonyT said:

I’ve never been asked for certs off the vet

for my terriers or spaniels.

I’ve also never heard of anyone who has.

I took a litter for chipping at 8 week old

last year. All docked and vet said nothing 

ATB  Tony

I've literally just taken a docked terrier pup to the vets 3 month ago for innoculation and they asked for the papers for the dock.

Sam.