Bass mackerel lure fishing

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

His first bass from the kayak with a lure. Over the moon.   

Another bag of mackerel, some small pollack about a dozen garfish and nice bass around 2lb this morning. All returned apart from the mackerel.   

Out again this morning we had well over 100 mackerel, we were throwing them back. A couple nice bass and a small pollack. Here's my mate with one around 4.5 pound.  

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, white van man said:

Loads of bait fish around now. Got the lads casting off a rock mark the other night with some lures. Catch and cook. Had a couple of bass and few pollack. Best thing to get the kids going is a mackerel bashing trip  

84D93515-7A0B-4D94-A736-7A4A352769DD.jpeg

97297B00-3CE6-4CB8-BA6C-4190169B84B8.jpeg

Well done mate. Mackerel aren't in here atm. Had a go on my tod earlier...

IMG_20220724_114304776_HDR.jpg

The Mackerel have been very thin in the Summer months for the last few years. They seem to appear in higher numbers now in the Winter, all a part of climate change I suppose. Also there's a lot of Dolphin and Tuna in our waters now which must have a dramatic effect on them too. I had a few nice big Mackerel last week and saw a big Tuna jumping out of the water all an the southern Cornish coast.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Moorman 1 said:

The Mackerel have been very thin in the Summer months for the last few years. They seem to appear in higher numbers now in the Winter, all a part of climate change I suppose. Also there's a lot of Dolphin and Tuna in our waters now which must have a dramatic effect on them too. I had a few nice big Mackerel last week and saw a big Tuna jumping out of the water all an the southern Cornish coast.

Definitely change happening. I agree with the tuna making a dent in the mackerel numbers. I was kayaking from Plymouth in February and lowered a line in. Ended up with 4 mackerel in one hit. Seasons are changing. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, white van man said:

Definitely change happening. I agree with the tuna making a dent in the mackerel numbers. I was kayaking from Plymouth in February and lowered a line in. Ended up with 4 mackerel in one hit. Seasons are changing. 

The big factory boats our doing the damage lads 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Moorman 1 said:

The mackerel always used to be in in quantity in the Summer but definitely not the case now seem to be in now Autumn/Winter

We don't start targeting them until September/oct now really. They'll start coming in dribs and drabs til then I'd imagine mate.

Apparently a lad had a few hundred just off the eddy today but had to follow them around to catch em

I had another little chuck earlier on this beach, no luck but was waylaid with rock pooling and body boarding, so I had a swim (fresh to say the least) and finished with a rattler....

IMG_20220725_141011070_HDR.jpg

• Like 1