Bass mackerel lure fishing

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

His first bass from the kayak with a lure. Over the moon.   

Another bag of mackerel, some small pollack about a dozen garfish and nice bass around 2lb this morning. All returned apart from the mackerel.   

Out again this morning we had well over 100 mackerel, we were throwing them back. A couple nice bass and a small pollack. Here's my mate with one around 4.5 pound.  

Posted Images

10 hours ago, South hams hunter said:

We don't start targeting them until September/oct now really. They'll start coming in dribs and drabs til then I'd imagine mate.

Apparently a lad had a few hundred just off the eddy today but had to follow them around to catch em

Yeah that's it mate but since I can remember we always used to go around June and it was not unusual to catch mackerel every cast off the shore, once they were in. I can remember catching over hundred on many occasions, used to take what we wanted for the pot and put the rest back. Great sport on light tackle. It's definitely changed now, they are turning up in Autumn/Winter in numbers whereas they used to disappear at that time of year. We had a bag of decent sized ones last week, great sport, but not in in any quantity yet.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Moorman 1 said:

It's definitely changed now, they are turning up in Autumn/Winter in numbers whereas they used to disappear at that time of year.

Your right mate 26th January this year Brixham Breakwater, harbour was full of Mackerel.

IMG_4957.JPG.7a238038974f1bd6bd32ac864d4e8ed5.JPG

Cheers Arry

• Like 3

Had an hour or so off Hopes Nose in the kayak the other day. Used to be a great spot but so over fished now. Didn’t get a single one there. Headed round to towards Torquay and had a couple. Seemed to be having more luck with small pollack. I don’t think you can beat fresh mackerel on the BBQ. Like to chuck the dogs a few too. 

Edited by white van man
  • Like 2
6 hours ago, Arry said:

Your right mate 26th January this year Brixham Breakwater, harbour was full of Mackerel.

IMG_4957.JPG.7a238038974f1bd6bd32ac864d4e8ed5.JPG

Cheers Arry

Yeah the last couple of years the Polish have been hauling in good numbers on Mountbatten pier on Christmas Eve lol.

4 hours ago, white van man said:

Had an hour or so off Hopes Nose in the kayak the other day. Used to be a great spot but so over fished now. Didn’t get a single one there. Headed round to towards Torquay and had a couple. Seemed to be having more luck with small pollack. I don’t think you can beat fresh mackerel on the BBQ. Like to chuck the dogs a few too. 

Yeah my mate has a boat in Brixham he said its been dire around Berry Head and Hopes Nose this year so far.

Like you say fresh Mackerel takes some beating!

Edited by Moorman 1
27 minutes ago, Moorman 1 said:

Yeah my mate has a boat in Brixham he said its been dire around Berry Head and Hopes Nose this year so far.

Like you say fresh Mackerel takes some beating!

Was going to fish from the kayaks off Berry head the next couple of weeks. Might give somewhere else a try instead. 

• Like 2

I'm on a boat for mackerel in the morning minus kids as they've swimming booked and another two hour blank might finish them lol after a dog swimming session first thing. If I have no joy I'm on the rocks from about 5pm

13 hours ago, Borr said:

I'm on a boat for mackerel in the morning minus kids as they've swimming booked and another two hour blank might finish them lol after a dog swimming session first thing. If I have no joy I'm on the rocks from about 5pm

You should have come with me ,I did offer. Just had around 40 mackerel and a couple bass Just over 2 lb.

First light the water was boiling with fish. 

20220727_081709.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Moorman 1 said:

You should have come with me ,I did offer. Just had around 40 mackerel and a couple bass Just over 2 lb.

First light the water was boiling with fish. 

20220727_081709.jpg

I've had about twenty off the boat. I've a wife ,my mother two kids, two dogs ain't no easy task keeping all busy lol..saw a few dolphin, some lads had Pollack BBQ this evening , probably gonna try for bass later, should've come with you for bait ?

IMG_20220727_123854445_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220727_110548283_HDR.jpg

7 minutes ago, Borr said:

I've had about twenty off the boat. I've a wife ,my mother two kids, two dogs ain't no easy task keeping all busy lol..saw a few dolphin, some lads had Pollack BBQ this evening , probably gonna try for bass later, should've come with you for bait ?

get on Joe??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Borr said:

No problem I understand mate family commitments etc. Was just doing my good deed for the year offering thl member a spin out with local knowledge. Good luck on the bass ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1