Bass mackerel lure fishing

Off on a little holiday soon, down Looe, hoping to get some lure fishing in of rocks etc. Ordered some weedless rubber lures and couple of Dexter wedges, advised by a work colleague, weedless are so kids can have a go no drama. Any pointers was just going to use a spinning rod...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

His first bass from the kayak with a lure. Over the moon.   

Another bag of mackerel, some small pollack about a dozen garfish and nice bass around 2lb this morning. All returned apart from the mackerel.   

Out again this morning we had well over 100 mackerel, we were throwing them back. A couple nice bass and a small pollack. Here's my mate with one around 4.5 pound.  

Posted Images

From the shore i would go for a Fiiish Black Minnow, 12g .Bass usually hang around quite close in ,so you dont need to cast to far. For the Mackerel you wont go far wrong with a Savage Gear Seeker ISP in pearl white, you will catch Bass and Pollack as well if they are about so a good all rounder.

Retrieve wise i would just mix it up if you can, fast, slow, pause , sink and draw etc,and bring the lure right up to your feet before lifting it out. Bass have a habit of leaving it till the last minute to strike, First and last light are usually quite productive.                  Enjoy your holiday.?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

I’m gonna go for a drive along our local coast an look for rocky parts we can have a go at fishing, always wanted to do it an I have to drive double the distance to any mates who do it, sk gonna just go for it, how hard can it be ?

If you can piss, you can fish......its the catching thats the difficult bit.:yes:

• Haha 2

I'm no expert but have been catching mackerel off the beach in St austel with a 28g lure and spinning rod to suit 12lb mono and was reasonably successful. I was punching for distance but just to give me a nice long retrieve, I'm off down next week for a few days and have bought some braid to reduce the diameter and get the distance (in theory). 

Evenings were best and keeping an eye out for surface evidence, then casting to it ?

• Like 3
On 19/07/2022 at 20:40, Borr said:

Off on a little holiday soon, down Looe, hoping to get some lure fishing in of rocks etc. Ordered some weedless rubber lures and couple of Dexter wedges, advised by a work colleague, weedless are so kids can have a go no drama. Any pointers was just going to use a spinning rod...

How long you down for mate? I'd happily give you a few marks as I fish and dig a few spots local to looe.

• Like 2

The 28g Toby is a good allrounder but as Archie says the Black Minnow is killer for Bass. For the Lads may be float fishing for Mackerel might be less stressful for you mate. A Polystyrene float with ball weight something like 1/0 Aberdeen hook and strip of Mackerel for bait and only ever put hook through once so it flows in the tide. If you get my drift.

Good fishing to you and Lads

Cheers Arry

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 19/07/2022 at 21:22, W. Katchum said:

I’m gonna go for a drive along our local coast an look for rocky parts we can have a go at fishing, always wanted to do it an I have to drive double the distance to any mates who do it, sk gonna just go for it, how hard can it be ?

Filey brigs worth fishing off

29 minutes ago, steve66 said:

Filey brigs worth fishing off

It’s a good mark off the rocks or just off the end in a boat…

Fcuk going down that ladder?

last time I fished there for bass was at the other end where the kids pool is, plenty about but nothing of any size. 

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

I got a wing in face of a hill goin up ladder, an literally any higher than 3 rumgs up, (anywhere) an I’m clung to a ladder like a tick ? rods bag an every Fcuking thing, if there wasn’t a lass there I’d have abandoned my tackle an left it at bottom ? I won’t be back there, I don’t care if your guaranteed a Fcuking mermaid on a spinner at bottom ?

There’s a similar mark as Filey brig down from the sea life centre in Scarborough, follow the sh1t pipe as tides on way out and fish the worm beds at high tide from the sea wall just opposite where the seals are?
pubs next to its dose good food and beer too 

• Like 2
On 19/07/2022 at 20:40, Borr said:

Look across from the little pier by the main beach at Looe, so other side of the river, rock mark easy access. Fish early morning/later evening good bass mark. There was plenty bait fish about there yesterday. As metal lures go you won't go wrong with a wedge, and most of the soft plastics are good these days for pollack, bass and wrasse. I can give you a good spinning mark near Rame head if your down next week I may be able to meet you and take you there.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Moorman 1 said:

Look across from the little pier by the main beach at Looe, so other side of the river, rock mark easy access. Fish early morning/later evening good bass mark. There was plenty bait fish about there yesterday. As metal lures go you won't go wrong with a wedge, and most of the soft plastics are good these days for pollack, bass and wrasse. I can give you a good spinning mark near Rame head if your down next week I may be able to meet you and take you there.

Get off my land ?