Picking pup from a litter

On 18/07/2022 at 17:49, breeze said:

If you are looking for a dog pup, then only have them out to look at leave the bitch pups in the kennel. 

Spend has much time as possible with them, studying there temperaments and mannerism's. One will soon catch your eye mate

True, but what alot people don't do, is get them one at a time. Say in my case I go for males, if there 4 males in the litter, the rest bitches. Well easy really, you see then how they react to you and others etc, out side the kennel, and there litter mates. I knew a bloke who was dog handler in the Ra, and helped the police to choose pups as future police dogs,. He keeps  gsd at home, and Bel Mal. The mal cracking dog, quite big  25 1/2in and strong build, he done bit sleeve work, it had hell of bite, wouldn't fancy it on arm or leg lol, yep see your  pup on it own deff?

• Like 1

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nowadays, its a noisy old world, and a young lurcher is going to be faced with many strange sights and sounds... I've mostly kept dogs that. by necessity, will have to do their work in the public

Usually take the misses and let her pick then blame her when it’s shit 

At 6-8 weeks old it's just eeny, meeny, miny, mo ! Cheers.  

Posted Images

My puppy choice is going to be an easy one. I fancy a bitch and there is two bitches and the owner wants one of them .
All ways had males as a rule apart from little beddy whippet bitch years ago. The silly sod at moment if he picks up line of charlie first thing he does is cock his leg on it. Depending how fresh scent is alters how long he takes. If its fresh then it a quick leg cock and right gotta go and off he zooms.  Bloody idiot and the ferrets have had a shower more than once they really didnt want. 

• Haha 2
On 19/07/2022 at 14:34, Aussie Whip said:

I always go for the confident pup and if getting a bitch look mainly at the sire's ability and temp and if getting a male, the dam.

I've been thinking about this during my morning walk around the wood and think I possibly agree.?

Obviously, I've only got a limited number of dogs to judge it on, but in the vast majority of cases I think you're right i.e. the bitches were similar in character to their sire and the dogs like their dam. 

It's a very interesting question and goes back to the age old nature/nurture debate too. Coupled with this is the subject of the belief that pups owe more to their dam than sire as a result of the fact that they spend their first weeks with either a calm or not so calm dam.

And then there's mitochondrial dna. A huge subject in its own right. I don't know a lot about it but, from the top of my head, I think that mitochondrial dna is only passed on by the dam as all the mitochondrial dna in the sperm is within the tail and is therefore jettisoned (is that the right word?) when it joins the egg. I think I read somewhere that it's mitochondrial dna which dictates things like resilience and ability to get over injuries quickly etc (I could be a bit wrong about that as that's, like I said, purely from memory). That's why a lot of breeders prefer to focus on a strong female line within a breed (or type) whereas, because males can sire a hell of a lot more pups, others focus on the male side of the genetics. I sometimes chat to a retired doctor who I bump into on my early morning dog walks around the wood and she told me some fascinating stuff about mitochondrial dna in humans...but I promptly forgot it all. I'll have to ask her again but write it down next time. Also, one of those 'interesting facts' snippets on my local radio station a couple of days ago was that we inherit 80% of our intelligence from our mother. When we heard that around the breakfast table I said to my kids, "Don't worry, I'm a really good teacher so I'm sure we can make up for the natural deficit."?  

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, Neal said:

I've been thinking about this during my morning walk around the wood and think I possibly agree.?

Obviously, I've only got a limited number of dogs to judge it on, but in the vast majority of cases I think you're right i.e. the bitches were similar in character to their sire and the dogs like their dam. 

It's a very interesting question and goes back to the age old nature/nurture debate too. Coupled with this is the subject of the belief that pups owe more to their dam than sire as a result of the fact that they spend their first weeks with either a calm or not so calm dam.

And then there's mitochondrial dna. A huge subject in its own right. I don't know a lot about it but, from the top of my head, I think that mitochondrial dna is only passed on by the dam as all the mitochondrial dna in the sperm is within the tail and is therefore jettisoned (is that the right word?) when it joins the egg. I think I read somewhere that it's mitochondrial dna which dictates things like resilience and ability to get over injuries quickly etc (I could be a bit wrong about that as that's, like I said, purely from memory). That's why a lot of breeders prefer to focus on a strong female line within a breed (or type) whereas, because males can sire a hell of a lot more pups, others focus on the male side of the genetics. I sometimes chat to a retired doctor who I bump into on my early morning dog walks around the wood and she told me some fascinating stuff about mitochondrial dna in humans...but I promptly forgot it all. I'll have to ask her again but write it down next time. Also, one of those 'interesting facts' snippets on my local radio station a couple of days ago was that we inherit 80% of our intelligence from our mother. When we heard that around the breakfast table I said to my kids, "Don't worry, I'm a really good teacher so I'm sure we can make up for the natural deficit."?  

Thanks Neal, some interesting info. I know very little on the subject and have only gone on my limited experience. I like the 80% intelligence from mum because my mum is pretty smart and looks 60 when she's 80. My dad was no Einstein and some of the stupid stuff I've done I may be an exception to the scientific inheritance thing, lol.

• Haha 1
48 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

Thanks Neal, some interesting info. I know very little on the subject and have only gone on my limited experience. I like the 80% intelligence from mum because my mum is pretty smart and looks 60 when she's 80. My dad was no Einstein and some of the stupid stuff I've done I may be an exception to the scientific inheritance thing, lol.

Yeah, but you can always blame that on the nature/nurture thing. ?

• Like 1

Unless it’s a really big litter or you are getting the pick then I’d like to think there wouldn’t be too much to choose from. By the time the breeder and possibly the owner of the stud dog takes one. Then you got hunting mates or people that have been waiting for a pup from that particular breeding. Shouldn’t be much left. I prefer it that way. As long as the pups are healthy and been looked after I’m willing to let the misses and kids choose. Just makes life easier ?

On 18/07/2022 at 15:37, D Lloyd said:

What are your top 5 things you look for 

I bred a litter of bullhreys about 17 year ago,they were six in the litter,all of them were forward,playful an responsive,no backward step apart frome one.

Dark brindle dog,he would just sit at the door of the kennel an not come out,would take the playful argy Bargy with the other pups serious an try an nail them,all the pups were gifted out,my friend chose the dark brindle dog but I had to hold him him for a few months till he got new kennel setup.

The dark brindle dog would stay the same the duration I had him,wanted to do his own thing wasn't interested in me or the other dogs,he ended up a machine of a dog,but was still his own dog,he wanted to do things his way.

All the litter worked to a high standard an still dogs here down of them pups.

It's a gamble whatever pup you choose I think d loyld.

3 hours ago, Francie said:

I bred a litter of bullhreys about 17 year ago,they were six in the litter,all of them were forward,playful an responsive,no backward step apart frome one.

Dark brindle dog,he would just sit at the door of the kennel an not come out,would take the playful argy Bargy with the other pups serious an try an nail them,all the pups were gifted out,my friend chose the dark brindle dog but I had to hold him him for a few months till he got new kennel setup.

The dark brindle dog would stay the same the duration I had him,wanted to do his own thing wasn't interested in me or the other dogs,he ended up a machine of a dog,but was still his own dog,he wanted to do things his way.

All the litter worked to a high standard an still dogs here down of them pups.

It's a gamble whatever pup you choose I think d loyld.

Cheers I'll be crossing me fingers

• Like 1