Picking pup from a litter

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nowadays, its a noisy old world, and a young lurcher is going to be faced with many strange sights and sounds... I've mostly kept dogs that. by necessity, will have to do their work in the public

Usually take the misses and let her pick then blame her when it’s shit 

At 6-8 weeks old it's just eeny, meeny, miny, mo ! Cheers.  

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, thefensarefarbutistillgo said:

Get chance to see there character develop more if you keep 2 back instead of putting all your eggs in one basket, plus I think it’s better for them growing up with a litter mate 

Could run the whole litter on 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Aussie Whip said:

I always go for the confident pup and if getting a bitch look mainly at the sire's ability and temp and if getting a male, the dam.

any evidence to support your theory? not knocking you mate, it's a new one to me. 

7 hours ago, fred90 said:

any evidence to support your theory? not knocking you mate, it's a new one to me. 

Just my own observation, only based on a few litters over the years. The most obvious were these two Am bulldog cross pits. The bitch was human hating like the bulldog father and the rednose male human friendly like the pit mother. Also seen it in Russells and whippets that they take more from the opposite sex parent.

IMG_0823.JPG

• Like 1
On 18/07/2022 at 23:44, thefensarefarbutistillgo said:

Keep your 2 favourite until about 6 -8 months then just keep the 1 you get on with best , sell other one on 

A massive amount of time and effort will of gone in to each pup by that age I would not be able sell one in 30 years of keeping and breeding lurchers IV never kept a pup then sold it on or re-home it IV been lucky they all have turned out good in the field

I like to pick a pup out of decent parents bred for my needs that’s raised in clean conditions thats been reared on good quality feeds that’s alert and active that are chunky with clean ears an eyes that are energetic an want to play with there siblings I sit an watch them interact with one another I eliminate the ones I’m not interested in ie if I’m only after say a bitch i keep a eye on the bitchs see what there doing I like to check them all over I have a serious lurcher foot fetish if they ain’t got feet like boxing cloves there eliminated straight away I personally don’t like Lurchers with long toes as I’ve been down the road before I’ve got pretty picky with if I buy a pup I like to make sure it ticks all boxes if I’m unsure I’ll just walk away but if the boxes are all ticked I pays my money takes my chances if it ends up good happy days it has a home for life an a sofa to retire on if it ends up a turd it needs a new home 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Black neck said:

Could run the whole litter on 

If you want the best then that's the only way. Just sell on as they develop and any little  niggles appear your not happy with until by a year old what u have left is your best. That might be one, might be four,  just  depends on the quality of the litter and your  expectations.

1 hour ago, sandymere said:

If you want the best then that's the only way. Just sell on as they develop and any little  niggles appear your not happy with until by a year old what u have left is your best. That might be one, might be four,  just  depends on the quality of the litter and your  expectations.

Better have 2 litters and keep um all just 2 mek sure

• Like 1

I try to get my name down for a pup early enough that I have a pick from as wide a number of the pups as possible. Then, if it's a breeder who knows their stock and their produce well, I tell the breeder what I'm after and see which one they think would suit me best. Obviously that only works with an honest breeder.

If, following this, there are more than one to pick from, I'd pick the pup that likes me and which I like the look of. It's a long time to spend with a dog you don't get on with.

• Like 2