Picking pup from a litter

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nowadays, its a noisy old world, and a young lurcher is going to be faced with many strange sights and sounds... I've mostly kept dogs that. by necessity, will have to do their work in the public

Usually take the misses and let her pick then blame her when it’s shit 

At 6-8 weeks old it's just eeny, meeny, miny, mo ! Cheers.  

Posted Images

close your eyes and count to 10......i think every one is different what they look for. I only have bitches so that reduces the amount straight away. I look for a bold pup that comes to you. also I like to see it dominant playing with others. can't remember who it was, but on here somewhere it was mentioned always look at the roof of the mouth and make sure it is black...... After all that it could still turn out shite?

• Like 1

If you are looking for a dog pup, then only have them out to look at leave the bitch pups in the kennel. 

Spend has much time as possible with them, studying there temperaments and mannerism's. One will soon catch your eye mate

45 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

At 6-8 weeks old it's just eeny, meeny, miny, mo !

IMG_1522.JPG.6f1c8f2ef7c029a2d4918842aa2541f0.JPG

Cheers.

exactly mate ...spot on...

that's one of the reason it's to early to get a pup at that age

• Like 1

I like to see a clean environment with confident bold chucky pups I also want or do know how the parents work and as just importantly there temperament when these boxes are ticked its a lottery I guess 

Edited by Blackmag

Nowadays, its a noisy old world, and a young lurcher is going to be faced with many strange sights and sounds...

I've mostly kept dogs that. by necessity, will have to do their work in the public gaze, whether it be a solitary rabbit, in a vast commercial greenhouse, or perhaps a rat hiding under a householder's bed !

Same when checking out a massive industrial factory for longtails, or an urban Fox,  a working pup will have to run the gauntlet of noisy machinery, and get amongst the trash and debris, to find and bolt, or kill his quarry..

These places are not for the faint hearted or spooky type of critter...

SO,.. when trying to find a potential canine partner,.. I am always looking for obvious boldness, and a steady temperament..

Sometimes, it takes one or two visits to establish if the behaviour you are observing, is genuine , but in my opinion, it is time well spent. 

Its a difficult one, that's for sure,.. but I believe if you cannot always pick the best pup in a litter, you can sure as hell, steer clear of the worst one.?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 9

Average,  avoid biggest and smallest, look to the parents,  what do you like about them to make you pick the litter? Look for the pup that throws towards the parent you prefer. 

Crossed fingers through out the process ?