Old bitch has got cancer

Very sorry I've been there many times. Trouble is dogs are very stoic and its hard to see exactly what they are going through. I would do it sooner rather than later. Its no more to a dog than a trip for a minor operation. Stay with her and keep it together and tell her she is a good girl as she drifts off. I wish they did it for people. Awful time I feel for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It never gets easier to make decisions when there's no real guarantee as to outcomes but for my two pennies worth , as long as she's happy then let well alone, if she has visible secondary growths then she's like to have others so be like playing whack a mole removing one after the other. Perhaps better to let her enjoy life whilst she may.

• Like 1
On 17/07/2022 at 16:39, Wideboy said:

At that age she’s lived her life. Had the same thing a couple of months ago. No point putting her through surgery. It’ll just come back else where. When she starts loosing weight and can’t put it back on again, it’s probably coming close. 

true mate, old bryn lived till he was 14, he had tumor  by his arse  , had it couple years but was ok with it.  but he hit 14, went off his food , lost weight, never put it back on, got weak , so pts,  jus enjoy the time with it Dave , while you can. Ray

• Like 1

Heartbreaking mate not nice position by any means, I think theirs more of a connection with a runner than a pet, you know they been by your side in the cold dark nights ready to run flat out into the unknown.mines got the same a huge lump on his leg had one op to remove it but it’s come back worse, much bigger.I won’t let him suffer he’s done too much for me . 

On 17/07/2022 at 15:01, dytkos said:

Some of you may remember back in March 21 I had my bitch spayed and a lump removed from her teats.

Another lump has formed and after having a biopsy the result is that it's deffo cancer. ? 

Vet says we're looking at about a grand to treat/remove it with no guarantee of success.

She will be 12 in about 6 weeks.

I'm monitoring the size and if it's growing quickly it's gonna be a PTS scenario but I'm of the mind to see how she goes over the summer and let her get some sun on her back and then PTS, obviously if she's feeling it I'll do the deed sooner.

f***ing dogs eh?

Cheers, D.

IMG_20220717_144851_hdr.jpg

Just out of curiosity what has her diet been over the years??

On 20/07/2022 at 08:14, Smashing reds said:

Just out of curiosity what has her diet been over the years??

Mostly raw, biscuits, all in one, supplements, same as my 14 year old terrier and 15 year old lurcher.

Cheers, D.

Sorry to hear about your bitch. I've lost several to mammary cancer over the years, mostly between 10 and 13 years of age. They were all entire bitches and some had had litters and they were all fed a really good balanced raw diet all their lives, so I can't blame rubbish food. My own vet said that unless you get them spayed before their first season? the risk of mammary cancer increases year on year each time they come into season.. But, given that spaying before maturity brings its own problems (weak bones, urinary incontinence etc) I wouldn't ever do that. As cancer in humans is increasing all the time I wonder if it has something to do with the polluted, plasticised world we live in, or is it simply that dogs are living much longer than they used to (ditto humans) and diagnosed far more easily, so whereas in the past both died from 'unknown' causes, we now get a reason. Just wondering.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, dytkos said:

Mostly raw, biscuits, all in one, supplements, same as my 14 year old terrier and 15 year old lurcher.

Cheers, D.

The reason I asked is hear alot of the older dog men saying these processed nuts/biscuits are big cause of these cancers lumps on dogs ?‍♂️

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Smashing reds said:

The reason I asked is hear alot of the older dog men saying these processed nuts/biscuits are big cause of these cancers lumps on dogs ?‍♂️

I think that’s more a old tale tbh known plenty of dogs live very long lives on biscuit diets. And known other dogs live short lives on raw etc. could it be more hereditary based. By the time some dogs show cancer they could have 2 generations off them. Who knows but it’s a shame. 

• Like 4
18 hours ago, Gypsydog94 said:

I think that’s more a old tale tbh known plenty of dogs live very long lives on biscuit diets. And known other dogs live short lives on raw etc. could it be more hereditary based. By the time some dogs show cancer they could have 2 generations off them. Who knows but it’s a shame. 

Just as with people, the genetic markers for cancer can be inherited. I lost a bitch at 8 years old due to mammary cancer, after I bred from her, both her daughters succumbed to the same thing at the ages of 9 and 10. 

• Like 2

I had my little beddy x whippet put down 3yrs ago now at 12 she had mammary cancer at 10 the vet said they didn’t want to remove the lumps because there’s no guarantee they could rid her of them they said normally if they try to remove them they just come back. The bitch was fed a good of mix of raw an biscuit she wasn’t spade an I never took a litter from her because she wasn’t good enough. I’m still convinced that cancers in dogs an humans is to do with chlorine in water an pesticides sprayed on crops an chemical fertilisers to grow crops an animals grazed on fertilise ground an fed on feed stuffs that have chemicals in the cycle of produceing it’s all a chain that there’s no escape from sadly 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, poxon said:

I had my little beddy x whippet put down 3yrs ago now at 12 she had mammary cancer at 10 the vet said they didn’t want to remove the lumps because there’s no guarantee they could rid her of them they said normally if they try to remove them they just come back. The bitch was fed a good of mix of raw an biscuit she wasn’t spade an I never took a litter from her because she wasn’t good enough. I’m still convinced that cancers in dogs an humans is to do with chlorine in water an pesticides sprayed on crops an chemical fertilisers to grow crops an animals grazed on fertilise ground an fed on feed stuffs that have chemicals in the cycle of produceing it’s all a chain that there’s no escape from sadly 

Sorry to hear that mate 

with regards to water you can purify it through a di vessel with resin then add what you want yourself I have no idea what you should add to etc I’m trying to get my dad to experiment doing so with his pigeons eg put ten young birds on tap water ten on purified water with chosen additives