New forest rabbits, where are they?

Hi all, I am on holiday camping in the new forest, we haven't seen a rabbit in 2 days although there's lots of scrapes and old poo visible. Rabbit numbers in Thetford forest near me have crashed due to VHD in last few years, has the same happened here?

• 2 weeks later...

This part of Hampshire has been devastated concerning rabbit numbers. Must be VHD, or something,  I ran rabbit after rabbit 10 Yr ago. Now rarer than gold, many,many days had 15 /20+:ferreting,  now pleased if you get 1 or 2. Some pockets seem to have big numbers still. What has multiplied massively are Hares and squirrels, its nothing to see 10 to 20 hares here when I walk the muts at 05.30. Also  rakes of muntjac,  none here 10 year ago. I goes over Watership Down daily and your lucky to seer rabbits. Plenty of wild polecats mind

Hampshire has its biggest numbers in service stations, lol. Been hammered for years by keepers and farmers, airgunners buzzards kites, foxes, cats, lurcher and ferrets...the fact they're in abundance in pockets same as anywhere is they can't be got at.....