Oily fish

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is the Pilchard King...?  

Mine get trout at least once a week, either just give them the whole fish or more often i mince the whole fish and freeze for later use. Good for the ferrets as well.

Posted Images

I give mine tinned mackerel in tomato sauce (about a quid a tin at home bargains) for their "meat" once a week, usually when I've forgot to get their real meat out the freezer. They love it. 

Cheers, D.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, dytkos said:

I give mine tinned mackerel in tomato sauce (about a quid a tin at home bargains) for their "meat" once a week, usually when I've forgot to get their real meat out the freezer. They love it. 

Cheers, D.

That's what I give mine ,they won't touch raw fish .

This is the complete I mix with my dogs food , either meat or fish ( sardines,  mackerel etc) it's 50% salmon and you can smell the oil. I only got 2 dogs so probably not affordable or practical if you got a lot of dogs. Suits mine and they does good on it , well shiny and lively 

20220720_141241.jpg

Oily fish or fish oil…. The subject is interesting, I remember when tinned tomatoes was the thing, then fish oil came in and we had a transition period when fish in tomato sauce was the thing. I used to buy fish oil by the two-litre tube and add a splash to the greyhounds meal daily, along with SA37. At the time I fed mainly crap early completes like vitalin so I expect every little likely helped.

I don’t bother these days, thankfully completes have moved on and I’m also more confident in my own stockman-ship. The results on fish oils seem to be mixed with little if any real health benefits beyond the test tube or as likely non causative benefits, ie people who eat fish twice a week have slightly reduced risk of heart disease but, as ever there’s a but, causation or coincidence? Is it the fish directly or more likely the type of person who eats fish twice a week generally has a healthier lifestyle than the average Joe Bloggs??

My dogs like a bit of fish, adds variety etc but as to any real health benefit from a tin of sardines etc??? perhaps a fish oils supplement like I used to give to the greyhounds might be the best way if people are after health benefits rather than just giving your dog a treat they enjoy.

But if you’re looking for a general health addition to a diet and don’t use a complete or wholegrain in the diet then perhaps add in some fibre to get benefits from the short chain fatty acids (SCFAs) these are formed in the large intestine through the anaerobic fermentation of indigestible polysaccharides such as dietary fibre and resistant starch.,

SCFAs have positive intestinal effects but they also have more systemic effects through circulating in the blood stream where among other things they regulate neural activity, glucose homeostasis, lipid metabolism via insulin action, the inflammatory response, and gut hormone secretion.

These can be taken as direct supplements with some of the results but not those involved in the gut so using good old fibre rather than supplements as nature intended is likely to give better overall results.

Edited by sandymere
  • Like 1
On 20/07/2022 at 00:54, dytkos said:

Cheers, D.

Try Lidl or Aldi, I get mine from there, a small tin is less than 50p I think 

• Thanks 1

Oily fish is good for joints , coat etc etc either whole or oil supplement,  but the whole fish , tinned or otherwise is a welcome change in the diet, slightly off topic but 20+ Yr ago I had a pure blood APBT, He developed severe joint problems in older age, greyhound track vet advised me to give him human grade green lipped mussel extract. Worked absolute wonders on him and I've used it on any dog since as they get on in years, natural inflammatory, look it up , its great stuff for us oldies as well !

• Like 2