who will be the next pm ?

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How some people have the audacity to moan that our country is becoming like the third world when they openly welcome the third world into our country is beyond my logic !

They inherited low inflation, low mortgage rates tied to low interest rates. 14k police, but an untold number of illegal and legal immigrants, countering all investment in NHS schools etc. G

Labour were apoplectic with the Tory's planned NI rise....... Now Labour are apoplectic that the planned NI rise is cancelled ! Labours default setting is simply to oppose anything the Tory'

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Easy to promise anything when you know you don’t have to deliver ?

Annalese Dodds, Labour, has just this minute said, when being interviewed at the Labour conference " I don't know how we will finance our plans".....

So, they attack everything the Tory's propose, but have no plan of their own.

The Tory's are shit, but Labour isn't the answer.........

Cheers.

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, sandymere said:

WWW.MIRROR.CO.UK

In her 2022 Labour conference speech, deputy leader Angela Rayner unveiled plans for the 'biggest wave of insourcing for a generation' and drew cheers as she...

The daily mirror huh ?……well, there’s no need to start getting so high brow with your copy and paste sources ! Lol ? 

Whats next ?…..daily star ?, the Sun ?……or are you going to go full oxbridge and quote the Sunday Sport ? lol 

Edited by WILF
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, WILF said:

The daily mirror huh ?……well, there’s no need to start getting so high brow with your copy and paste sources ! Lol ? 

Whats next ?…..daily star ?, the Sun ?……or are you going to go full oxbridge and quote the Sunday Sport ? lol 

Every Mirror or Guardian comment can be refuted by a Mail or Telegraph comment.......so what's the point in copy and pasting them ?

I respect everyone's views, even if I vehemently disagree with them, but quoting biased sources from either side is hardly debate or discussion.

Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

How do we explain Mr Kwarteng’s mega-mini-budget? Why do something so obviously “up yours” to the working people of Britain as eliminating the top rate of tax for earners above £150,000, while sanctioning part-time, low-paid workers?    

Either he’s trying to fulfil Ms Truss’s ambition to be unpopular. Or he’s playing Santa Claus and delivering the Tory donors’ wish list. He’s succeeding in both.  

The Tory backbenchers weren’t happy. The people of Blyth Valley weren’t dancing in the streets. Red Wall MPs will be thinking about their impending career changes.  

The pound crashed – which will spike inflation. Interest rates will rise, along with mortgages and rents.  

They have no mandate for this. 0.2% of the electorate voted for these policies – the 81,316 Tory members in the leadership race. Tory MPs were elected on a manifesto of levelling-up, not trickling down.   

The theory of trickle-down is simple. Sometimes called supply-side economics, it claims that if rich people get a tax cut, they’ll invest all their extra money and create loads of jobs, the economy will grow, tax receipts will increase, and unicorns and bunny rabbits will frolic in sunlit uplands.  

It doesn’t work. It never has. American supply-side politicians would say, “a rising tide lifts all boats”. The truth is, unless you can’t afford a yacht, a rising tide will drown you.  

The International Monetary Fund, the champion of capitalist orthodoxy, said unambiguously, “when the rich get richer, benefits do not trickle down”. Research published in 2020 by the LSE, based on data from eighteen OECD countries including the UK, was even more damning. Tax cuts for the rich since the 1980s have increased income inequality without any gains in economic performance.  

You’ve probably seen various budget calculators – where you put in your earnings and it tells you how much better or worse off you are. But they only tell half the story. Take the energy price-cap. With an average sized bill, you’ll be paying £2500 direct to the energy company. But you’ll also be paying another £2500 to the energy company via the Government. That’s still your money. That £2500 will inevitably be cut from your health service, your kids’ education, your parents social care, your police and fire services. If you work anywhere in the public sector, they’ll try to take it out of your wages. It should come from a windfall tax.  

Economic prosperity has to be sustainable. At its simplest, growth is just more money changing hands. It doesn’t have to mean consumption of more material goods, or people buying bigger cars. We could spend more on health and education and youth services. More on retrofitting homes. More on better public transport. And enough to get to 100% clean energy production by building offshore wind farms and clean hydrogen production.    

We could invest in public luxury. Libraries with modern computer suites. Publicly owned gardens and swimming pools and exercise classes. More live music and theatre and comedy.  

Every business leader I talk to tells me the same thing. Growth stalls without skilled workers.  

At the North of Tyne we’ve created a jobs pipeline of 4,635 jobs – over and above those from organic growth. We do it by working closely with businesses. Skills bootcamps that give both those in and out of work the training they need for a good green job. 

We have skills programmes supporting people with neurodiversity. People who’ve struggled with drug and alcohol dependency. Carers who are returning to the labour market after years out. And we link it with our child poverty prevention work. Because getting someone a stable, fairly paid job on trade union terms and conditions is one of the best things you can do for them.  

And if you want to get more part-time workers working more hours, improve the care system. Child care is so expensive, and in many places so limited, that parents and carers can’t fit into normal working patterns.  

It’s not the cap on bankers’ bonuses holding us back. City high-flyers on telephone number salaries are already in receipt of bonuses at a record high - £5.9 billion paid out in March alone. What we need is free life-long education and affordable childcare.  

Jamie Driscoll. North of Tyne Mayor.

*Originally printed in the Journal and Evening Chronicle 25 Sept 2022

4 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

f***ing hell!

UKDEFENCEJOURNAL.ORG.UK

Wallace said that he is delighted that after "30 or 40 years of defending against cuts" the Ministry of...

As the Americans and Russians already know, it is a way of boosting the economy and reducing unemployment. Of course Starmer will fight against it and Comrade Corbyn will be up in arms about us upping arms. 

4 minutes ago, Nicepix said:

As the Americans and Russians already know, it is a way of boosting the economy and reducing unemployment. Of course Starmer will fight against it and Comrade Corbyn will be up in arms about us upping arms. 

I haven't read the commentary on this yet, which will be interesting, but personally I don't expect to see a proportionate rise in head count. I expect this (if it materialises) will go towards filling capability gaps and increase depth in others.

For instance the UK has ~60 tomahawks in stock. If war broke out they would be used up in the first week. Up until a few months ago 5/6 of our destroyers were in maintenance, some laid up for years. I could go on.

14 hours ago, sandymere said:

How do we explain Mr Kwarteng’s mega-mini-budget? Why do something so obviously “up yours” to the working people of Britain as eliminating the top rate of tax for earners above £150,000, while sanctioning part-time, low-paid workers?    

Either he’s trying to fulfil Ms Truss’s ambition to be unpopular. Or he’s playing Santa Claus and delivering the Tory donors’ wish list. He’s succeeding in both.  

The Tory backbenchers weren’t happy. The people of Blyth Valley weren’t dancing in the streets. Red Wall MPs will be thinking about their impending career changes.  

The pound crashed – which will spike inflation. Interest rates will rise, along with mortgages and rents.  

They have no mandate for this. 0.2% of the electorate voted for these policies – the 81,316 Tory members in the leadership race. Tory MPs were elected on a manifesto of levelling-up, not trickling down.   

The theory of trickle-down is simple. Sometimes called supply-side economics, it claims that if rich people get a tax cut, they’ll invest all their extra money and create loads of jobs, the economy will grow, tax receipts will increase, and unicorns and bunny rabbits will frolic in sunlit uplands.  

It doesn’t work. It never has. American supply-side politicians would say, “a rising tide lifts all boats”. The truth is, unless you can’t afford a yacht, a rising tide will drown you.  

The International Monetary Fund, the champion of capitalist orthodoxy, said unambiguously, “when the rich get richer, benefits do not trickle down”. Research published in 2020 by the LSE, based on data from eighteen OECD countries including the UK, was even more damning. Tax cuts for the rich since the 1980s have increased income inequality without any gains in economic performance.  

You’ve probably seen various budget calculators – where you put in your earnings and it tells you how much better or worse off you are. But they only tell half the story. Take the energy price-cap. With an average sized bill, you’ll be paying £2500 direct to the energy company. But you’ll also be paying another £2500 to the energy company via the Government. That’s still your money. That £2500 will inevitably be cut from your health service, your kids’ education, your parents social care, your police and fire services. If you work anywhere in the public sector, they’ll try to take it out of your wages. It should come from a windfall tax.  

Economic prosperity has to be sustainable. At its simplest, growth is just more money changing hands. It doesn’t have to mean consumption of more material goods, or people buying bigger cars. We could spend more on health and education and youth services. More on retrofitting homes. More on better public transport. And enough to get to 100% clean energy production by building offshore wind farms and clean hydrogen production.    

We could invest in public luxury. Libraries with modern computer suites. Publicly owned gardens and swimming pools and exercise classes. More live music and theatre and comedy.  

Every business leader I talk to tells me the same thing. Growth stalls without skilled workers.  

At the North of Tyne we’ve created a jobs pipeline of 4,635 jobs – over and above those from organic growth. We do it by working closely with businesses. Skills bootcamps that give both those in and out of work the training they need for a good green job. 

We have skills programmes supporting people with neurodiversity. People who’ve struggled with drug and alcohol dependency. Carers who are returning to the labour market after years out. And we link it with our child poverty prevention work. Because getting someone a stable, fairly paid job on trade union terms and conditions is one of the best things you can do for them.  

And if you want to get more part-time workers working more hours, improve the care system. Child care is so expensive, and in many places so limited, that parents and carers can’t fit into normal working patterns.  

It’s not the cap on bankers’ bonuses holding us back. City high-flyers on telephone number salaries are already in receipt of bonuses at a record high - £5.9 billion paid out in March alone. What we need is free life-long education and affordable childcare.  

Jamie Driscoll. North of Tyne Mayor.

*Originally printed in the Journal and Evening Chronicle 25 Sept 2022

One day, you may have a thought of your own…..let us know so we can make time to read it ?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
16 hours ago, WILF said:

Blair & Campbell had that election planned to the last detail years before it ever happened mate…..all the ducks in a row.

Its all in Blair’s autobiography.

Labour now on the other hand are a bunch of freaks and traitors and misfits and rich boys trying to be “down with the common folk”……nobody is buying what these c**ts are selling surely ? 

It's when folk start loosing their houses or job's then they will vote against the sitting government dinghy invaders and mass immigration won't even be on their minds when voting for labour as in reality sad as it is it's the only alternative they will see as getting rid of the torys.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

It's when folk start loosing their houses or job's then they will vote against the sitting government dinghy invaders and mass immigration won't even be on their minds when voting for labour as in reality sad as it is it's the only alternative they will see as getting rid of the torys.

I agree mate, memories are short and most can only think in terms of a two party system.

I suppose it’s all numbers?….I don’t know what percentage of the population earn over £150 grand but if it’s minuscule compared to people under that figure then the tax give back was for the many and not the few.

Maybe the gaff can afford to knock 5% off those higher earners because their ain’t many of them but can’t afford to knock the same off for those under 150 because they are just too many people and the loss is too massive ? 

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

I haven't read the commentary on this yet, which will be interesting, but personally I don't expect to see a proportionate rise in head count. I expect this (if it materialises) will go towards filling capability gaps and increase depth in others.

For instance the UK has ~60 tomahawks in stock. If war broke out they would be used up in the first week. Up until a few months ago 5/6 of our destroyers were in maintenance, some laid up for years. I could go on.

And who repairs and services all this equipment? It will create employment, hopefully some of it in the UK.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, WILF said:

I agree mate, memories are short and most can only think in terms of a two party system.

I suppose it’s all numbers?….I don’t know what percentage of the population earn over £150 grand but if it’s minuscule compared to people under that figure then the tax give back was for the many and not the few.

Maybe the gaff can afford to knock 5% off those higher earners because their ain’t many of them but can’t afford to knock the same off for those under 150 because they are just too many people and the loss is too massive ? 

Let's just put things in perspective. It's not like this top 0.1% are not paying tax on 95% of their income. Everything over like 50k they're paying 40% on. 

• Like 1