WHAT WERE YOU DOING 25 YEARS AGO TODAY ?

• 2 weeks later...

I was there. In retrospect more of the forlorn hope than any chance of victory. But we still survive to a degree. I still take every opportunity when it presents to try and explain to those who oppose us, or rather those who are not in full possession of the facts, why traditional management of our beautiful land is not the evil that that they have been told. One occasion when ardent antis rapidly changed their views always makes me smile even though I was not the one trying to rationalise with them.

A friend upped sticks and moved his family from their urban home to Rothbury, a beautiful rural part of Northumberland. The house came with a decent plot of land and they fully embraced the "good life"and cultivated it and started to produce their own veg and fruit. He then had the enviable problem of a large and ever increasing rabbit population. He rang to ask to borrow an air rifle to reduce the numbers. Another problem was that that his daughter, then probably about 7 and his son, about 5, had began to love the rabbits and regarded them as an extended part of the family pets.

Anyway, I turned up with a rifle to loan him. The kids were there and watching.

daughter - what's that daddy?

dad - it's an air rifle pet

daughter - daddy, what do air rifles do?

dad - I am going to use it to shoot some of the rabbits

This started hysteria

daughter - mammy, daddy is going to shoot our rabbits. You must stop him!

dad - the thing is kids, the rabbits are eating your strawberries. Your choice, we can keep all of the rabbits and you will have no strawberries or we can shoot some of the rabbits and you will have lots of strawberries to eat.

daughter - yes daddy, you must shoot all of the rabbits, we will help. 

Little brother nodding his head in agreement.

Gotta love kids man.

Edited by eastcoast
typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2