I was looking out the back window and i saw a rat under next doors bird feeder and it ran to the dividing fence which is at the rear of my shed and back to there bird feeder , as i watched it it did that a few times . So i checked my shed put a snapper down in the shed  and two more under the shed and a body gripper in a cubby in front of the shed i just checked them while i was doing a slug patrol in the garden and one snappers went off and the rats sitting beside it with brain damage , i tried to pull it out with a hoe but couldn't and as it was just sitting there i got a air rifle shot it and pulled it out with a bit of wood . The snapper i caught it in i had bother setting as well as the body gripper but i was blaming old age for being unable to set them so finely but maybe it was the trap ?it certainly caught it and caused damage and if i had of left it till the morning i think it would of been dead beside the trap ?

But it was a big old buck rat so the traps will be down for a few days and the trail cameras out in case there's more than one 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Nicepix said:

I think that is a rat escaping after being trapped inside.

It was a shithole pal, bins were overflowing on my first visits, rats had been chewing in and out. Your quite correct that it's spent quite a while chewing that from the inside 

• Like 1

I had a wood mouse living under the plastic sheets we had over the veg' plots. The terrier had several goes at it, but failed. All the others had been trapped. This one wouldn't go in a trap and by spring when the beds were uncovered it moved under the patio and fed under the bird table. Still wouldn't go in a trap so I shot it with an air rifle.

3 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

It was a shithole pal, bins were overflowing on my first visits, rats had been chewing in and out. Your quite correct that it's spent quite a while chewing that from the inside 

I had similar at a customer's. He was putting the square foils of cat food in the bin without washing them out first. A rat got trapped inside and gnawed its way out exactly like that one. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ive not seen any more but ive got a fen set beside the fence . My son said no wonder they got rats the edge of his slabs to his fence maybe 2 inches is thick with birdseed and its  maybe 2 inches deep 

• 3 weeks later...