Good dogs bad owners

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great replies lads? I USED to be, real heavy handed with my lurchers,...I learned this from my Father and his old man... They both took in, cur dogs for training, to work the sheep and cattl

I took on a 15 month rescue working type Collie Bitch. I could see great potential in her but she was crapping in the house every night and when I came in the room it was painful to see her trying to

The skill is in assessing the temperament of the dog you have in front of you. Different treatment for different dogs. Too hard and you can ruin a soft dog. Too soft with a hard dog and you have a lia

Posted Images

9 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Love reading stuff like this, long live the collie ?

9 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Love reading stuff like this, long live the collie ?

Thanks, She is lying by me now. She seems as fit and fast as she has ever been. She is ten now.

On 20/07/2022 at 11:15, TelephonePete said:

I took on a 15 month rescue working type Collie Bitch. I could see great potential in her but she was crapping in the house every night and when I came in the room it was painful to see her trying to get under the settee 3 inches of the ground. I have been around dogs all my life and I was 72 at the time. I just patted her told her, good girl and let her into the back garden. She had been knocked about on a daily basis for this because it happened every morning and I reacted the same every time. Sometimes there was blood in it and it took me a month to work it out. She had a Wheat allergy. All the Vet did was push their food for dogs with delicate Digestive systems. We put her on one huge tin of gluten free Butchers Tripe and she has been on it for the last 9 years. Training wise. I can give a dominant dog a DIG if I think it needs it. However this little bitch sort of retrained me in a way. Even now after 9 years of not having a hand raised against her, a raised voice aimed at the Terrier makes her go rigid with fear. So every thing has had to be done with the accent on fun and cooperation. The reward a tennis ball and a retrieve. I have ended up with the best dog that I have ever had. She will do things for me that my best two Shepherds would never do and if I ignor her for to long she charges me and bites mu Bum. A truly great little Bitch. I lucky day for me when I took her on.  

7BCAA953-1FA1-46AC-B7A6-4DA2C6148344.jpeg

Great post TelephonePete. Really enjoyed reading it. At the risk of sounding condescending or patronising you seem like a proper dog man in the true sense of what it should mean. Cheers.

• Like 4
On 08/07/2022 at 21:52, gasaxeman said:

What you also have to take into consideration is memory short memory in a dog is as little as 70 seconds to 2 minutes .but long term is a life time so if a dog is constantly chastised physically it will never forget it and basically ruin the dog . Were its pointless reprimanding a dog for bad behaviour unless you catch it almost immediately. As the dog won't know what it's done wrong if shouted at scowled at or told off 10 minutes later . Certainly would never consider or condone physical punishment as to me you have lost the battle straight away if you resort to this .

True on the, they never forget if they had a wallop, even if it last year etc. So you have try to keep as calm as you can, when things have gone wrong. I've learnt alot in 35 years with dogs, drop bollocks  with dogs, and try to learn from them if I can lol. Like been said  all dogs are different, even out same litter, I think you have to keep this I mind. My last 2 dogs I've had, both were sensitive temps, Buck more than what Bryn was deff. I've had  go the kids gove approach with Buck, the only time I give him a good hiding, was when he was about 14 months old, he been brill sheep from a pup of 10 weeks old no prob. Well   night he run bit stuff,  don't know if his blood was up etc, but  pulled a sheep down, he didn't kill it, just held down on the Deck. Well I knew I was going hit him,  so ran up to him and belt with my fists,   he cried out. I didn't feel guilty about hitting him,  but felt sad, because I encouraged him to grab stuff, and use his size/power. But he near 10 now, he never ever touched sheep again, didn't stop him pulling game, Infact he got better and better over the years lol. Apart from sheep  thing, I don't think ever really hit him, as said very sensitive dog, no need to. Yeh treat every dog  different,  that's what I've tried to do. 

• Like 1

Apparently, the three types of event which have the most lasting effect on both us and dogs is (in ascending order) positive experiences, repetitive experiences, negative experiences.